RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

10 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

How many people from Carlisle attend rugby league matches on a regular basis?

Newcastle, London and Coventry don't seem to have an issue getting people to turn out.

Carlisle's an odd choice, though. The ground isn't great, the city isn't particularly massive and the train station not really that well connected (either to other places or to the ground itself).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

How many people from Carlisle attend rugby league matches on a regular basis?

You would be relying on the crowd to be composed overwhelmingly from day trippers. 

English rugby league fans have shown they wont pay 30 euros for a world cup match ticket on their own doorstep, so why on earth would they get on trains in big numbers to watch a scotland team composed of semi professional players get hammered by Fiji?

They might watch England v scotland

I assume you did not look at the map, and know very little about RL history.

I would pay 30 euros to watch it !!!

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There are mismatches and there are mismatches.

A mismatch can be enjoyable, for instance if it is unexpected or if it is rare. England-Samoa 1 wasn't a disaster because it was unexpected and born out of us playing well. Also, the game was competitive for at least a half.

However, mismatch where everybody knows it will be a mismatch and it is 30-0 after 25 minutes is not enjoyable for anyone. The tries are too easy come by to be enjoyable for the winning teams fans, and for the losing it's just embarrassing. A very lowly team scoring late on against a team like Aus or NZ doesn't nearly undo the rest.

You absolutely can engineer a situation where there are fewer inevitable mismatches.

I went to the Lebanon v Jamaica match knowing exactly what was going to happen, but I still enjoyed the game cheering when the Reggae boys scored , in fact felt guilty for not applauding the Cedars , it wasn't their fault 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RLX111 said:

They might watch England v scotland

I assume you did not look at the map, and know very little about RL history.

I would pay 30 euros to watch it !!!

England weren't in Scotland's group.

Scotland were drawn with Fiji, Italia and the Kangaroos.

I assume you know very little about current RL. 

Edited by Madrileño

10 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

England weren't in Scotland's group.

Scotland were drawn with Fiji, Italia and the Kangaroos.

I assume you know very little about current RL. 

yOU DO not understand- i  wrote about future rfl developments Not this world cup! are you just using google translate!

4 minutes ago, RLX111 said:

yOU DO not understand- i  wrote about future rfl developments Not this world cup! are you just using google translate!

I think I understand. Probably better than you in fact.

I was replying to Death to the Rah Rah's post about the organisers having missed an opportunity by not scheduling games for this tournament in Carlisle.

You were agreeing with him: "This is so true!!" is what you said.

You then went on to suggest that England (host nation) might actually play a game in Carlisle 😆

Instead of criticising my knowledge of "RL history" why not write to the world cup organisers and suggest that England play future matches in Carlisle, due to the excellent train links? Include that "detailed map" you mentioned as well. 😆

Good luck!! 

PS: no. I did not use Google translate. I am sorry if my English is not up to your expectations.  

8 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I was replying to Death to the Rah Rah's post about the organisers having missed an opportunity by not scheduling games for this tournament in Carlisle.

You then went on to suggest that England (host nation) might actually play a game in Carlisle 😆

Instead of criticising my knowledge of "RL history" why not write to the world cup organisers and suggest that England play future matches in Carlisle, due to the excellent train links? Include that "detailed map" you mentioned as well. 😆

Good luck!! 

PS: no. I did not use Google translate. I am sorry if my English is not up to your expectations.  

8 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Good luck!! 

We are talking about 2 different issue the wORLD cUP NOW  (YOU)   in the future ( Me).

I have no problem with you Excellent English and I converse in the French RL forums in French!

15 minutes ago, RLX111 said:

We are talking about 2 different issue the wORLD cUP NOW  (YOU)   in the future ( Me).

I have no problem with you Excellent English and I converse in the French RL forums in French!

D'accord. C'est bien....on peut continuer là bas si tu préfères 😉

19 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

They missed a trick by not playing at least two games in Carlisle on a Saturday afternoon

Excellent rail links and close enough to the traditional RL heartlands of West Cumbria as well as just being over the border from Scotland.

Just another missed opportunity to add to the ever growing list of 'how not to run an international event' !

Will anyone take ownership of the competitions failings when it comes to scheduling and location of games or will it be airbrushed like so many  

Did Carlisle city council put a bid in to host games?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, meast said:

Did Carlisle city council put a bid in to host games?

I think Carlisle isn't a good call at all. But the above answer isn't a good one. 

What if next time we get one bid from Leeds, would we play 31 matches there? 

Women's Euros went through this challenge of not getti g the bids they maybe hoped for, they had to just hire some grounds. 

Ground hire is within our gift to a large extent. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think Carlisle isn't a good call at all. But the above answer isn't a good one. 

Women's Euros went through this challenge of not getti g the bids they maybe hoped for, they had to just hire some grounds. 

I thought it had been confirmed that the RLWC ground selection was a mixture of bids and hires?

(AFAIK, the women's Euros was all bids. They responded to complaints about geographical and ground selection by pointing this out quite a lot.)

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I thought it had been confirmed that the RLWC ground selection was a mixture of bids and hires?

(AFAIK, the women's Euros was all bids. They responded to complaints about geographical and ground selection by pointing this out quite a lot.)

I may be misremembering on the women's euros, I know we actually discussed it on a thread, and they had a lot of criticism about ground selection, mainly due to the fact they didn't get the bids they wanted - so you could be right, it may be the other way round. 

I'm genuinely not sure on RLWC, I'm not sure it's been confirmed either way, but I may be mixing up the two tournaments. 

But the point remains the same - we can choose how we select grounds. 

• Like 1

Women’s Euros were all bids, but had to switch around a bit as Forest postponed their refurbishment plus a couple of other things. The main criticism prior to the tournament starting was that the selected stadiums were too small. That all ended once it started and they were raving about the sell outs at the (reduced capacity) LSV and Academy Stadium, while failing to sell out any of the games at Rotherham. I know it’s a dirty word on here, but the visiting fans from Sweden and the Netherlands in particular and the atmosphere they brought as a huge driving force in the success, which had the knock on effect of selling out the quarter final at Leigh which had always been seen as a tough gig with 4,000 tickets to sell with four days notice. We’ve only managed to recreate that for Tonga v Samoa, and that was in bigger numbers tbf.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Women’s Euros were all bids, but had to switch around a bit as Forest postponed their refurbishment plus a couple of other things. The main criticism prior to the tournament starting was that the selected stadiums were too small. That all ended once it started and they were raving about the sell outs at the (reduced capacity) LSV and Academy Stadium, while failing to sell out any of the games at Rotherham. I know it’s a dirty word on here, but the visiting fans from Sweden and the Netherlands in particular and the atmosphere they brought as a huge driving force in the success, which had the knock on effect of selling out the quarter final at Leigh which had always been seen as a tough gig with 4,000 tickets to sell with four days notice. We’ve only managed to recreate that for Tonga v Samoa, and that was in bigger numbers tbf.  

Yes, just read a couple of articles where the FA defended themselves against criticism. They said they had to 'persuade' some to bid for games. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I've made this point before but places not bidding is no excuse for games not being played in certain areas or for some of the choices thay have been made.

I expect to some councils a RL World Cup match isn't a particularly appealing thing to bid for or to put much money in to doing so. Im guessing to some London boroughs its a bit meh as per the benefits. That is no excuse for the spread of games that we see or not having more games in London.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dave T said:

I only party agree. I think these games can be enjoyable, but I think it is natural that they are likely to have less demand than some other games. That is fine, and it should be staged, located and priced appropriately to overcome that. 

I do think this is why these world cup games really did need to be more than opening a stadium for 2 hours and putting a game of Rugby on. We know that some games are not going to be classics, so we needed to make sure that anyone who went would leave having had fun, even if the rugby was a procession. 

People may mock, but where was the kids rugby games? Where were the dancers, the mascots, the music creating singalongs, the Pyro, the bands etc. Going along to a stadium that is only a third full with none of the above and 15 tries to zero is always going to be a challenging 2hrs of entertainment. 

We seem to have not even considered making things fun for people, definitely nothing in the slightest was tailored to kids. 

One thing I would say is I do think we need to be careful in overstating the amount of walkovers. Imo the most important point is the expectations in advance. Some games may be tough sells as they were always going to be walkovers, but then the England opener for example ended up a walkover and was a great event. 

Tonga v Cooks was never expected to be a walkover, and Fiji v Italy was more one-sided than expected. Some games were closer than we expected too - Ireland did better versus the Kiwis, Greece did well versus France, Wales better than expected. 

Some of the expected hammerings did outperform potential close games. Although I think the issue is most games have actually underperformed. 

I do think we should review how we make things closer, and rules are a challenge for mine, but I also don't think we should overstate the issue. 

Absolutely agree with this regarding it needing to be more than just the game on the field. Even if you're an ardent fan, some of the games just don't grab your attention straight away, although the chance to be involved in some weeks-long party event with lots around the edges might - you might bring along a couple of friends who don't usually go to RL then, but it'd be a tough sell to get non-RL people to go to any game other than Eng/Aus/NZ unless there's more going on.

I also didn't mind the QF scheduling except I would say that I'm not sure playing a game at Hull on the same day as an England QF on the other side of the country (and on bonfire night come to think of it) would much help attendances - I'd have maybe preferred that to be either the night before or after the other QFs, although realise that might not necessarily be the solution to filling such a big ground for a neutral game.

• Like 2

Any noise on how Emirates ticket sales are going?

To be fair to the RFL, when I spotted they were now subtly "recategorising" (not discounting eh @Dave T..!!) blocks I asked them to move our group buy to better seats now being sold at the price I paid and they did. Hope the price changes are helping shift a few more tickets in the final week.

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?