RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

21 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You slipped up Dave. We paid a fiver for NZ v Samoa, £10 apiece for Tonga v Italy, Tonga v Cook Islands and Ireland v Fiji and a whopping £13.50 for the final

Which tells us we got it completely wrong in 2013 , and as a result we've ' knee jerked ' too far the other way this time , somewhere in the middle would have been the right thing to do , simpler reasonable pricing with no discounts and no ' redesignation's ' 

Yes too many games a certain venues and not enough spread 

Maybe next time we'll get it right on the button 

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

With no recession in 2015 and no massive spike in costs when the tournament wasn’t concentrated in one region. 

Its not much of a comparison tbh

No comparisons are perfect, but the most relevant ones here are WC Semi finals staged in this country over the years:

1995 - Aus v NZ (16.6k)

2000 - Aus v Wales (8.1k)

2013 - Aus v Fiji (67k double header, majority left after England game). 

We can also look at the Aus v NZ games staged in the UK. We've had highs of 44k (2000 WC Final) and 40k at Anfield in 2016. But generally they are far, far lower crowds. 

This one held up pretty well in numbers, and it looked great on TV. We don't need to disect it to the point that we are comparing to an RU game 7 years ago. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I read on Twitter (a thread linked on here in fact) that the union lot got 33k at the same ground in 2015 for Canada v Italy. Two complete nothing teams, in a meaningless pool game.

Is 28k for a semi final in the heart of rugby league land between 2 giants of the game really a "good effort"?

Yes it is actually. Unless you looked carefully you wouldn't know it was only 28k. Given the disappointing turn outs at many games, it's pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

I read on Twitter (a thread linked on here in fact) that the union lot got 33k at the same ground in 2015 for Canada v Italy. Two complete nothing teams, in a meaningless pool game.

Is 28k for a semi final in the heart of rugby league land between 2 giants of the game really a "good effort"?

Well it easily beats the 22k that turned up at the 2017 semifinal featuring the tournament hosts playing in the best RL stadium in the world in the heart of Aussie RL land.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which tells us we got it completely wrong in 2013 , and as a result we've ' knee jerked ' too far the other way this time , somewhere in the middle would have been the right thing to do , simpler reasonable pricing with no discounts and no ' redesignation's ' 

Yes too many games a certain venues and not enough spread 

Maybe next time we'll get it right on the button 

Yes. I think it's universally acknowledged that 2013 was obscenely low prices. However it really didn't have a good brand to trade on. The previous WC in the UK had almost killed the RFL and was dire, so we did whatever we could to build up a following. I think increasing prices is absolutely the right thing to do, but they have gone to an extreme. 

In reality, the group games should all have been aiming for 10k minimum. Premium games involving NZ, Aus and maybe Tonga at 15k. England games at 50, 30, 30. After the group stages that would have given us 365k. 

Similar principle at qf stage with 30k, 15k, 15k, 15k. Semis at 50 and 30k, final at 74.

That gives us c600k, with relatively modest movement from 2013 on a game by game basis. We had a lot of group games hovering around that 6k mark, and priced and staged accordingly there is no reason to believe they couldn't be 10k events. 

We don't need to be thinking about getting 24k for each game, the big events take care of the average, but it does feel like every fan number we have had has been a struggle and real hard work rather than a celebration of rl that has captured the imagination of people and led to them flooding ticket lines. 

It's a numbers game, we aren't talking needing to double crowds, we needed to nudge below par crowds to become good rather than outstanding. 

Maybe next time. 

• Like 1

And when we talk about high prices, I have no doubts that pricing will affect the semi final crowds. Now, to be balanced, I expect the numbers to be decent and break 70k in total, but I expect a number of people will have spent decent money last night and can't justify travelling today. Similarly, many will be spending a fortune today and will have given an expensive ER a miss. 

I do think they missed a trick with rewarding people for buying bundles. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's a good case study for when people here claim that it is only RL fans who are small minded. 

Arsenal fans are well known as being the biggest bells. Just ignore. They are just getting chippy because they have won a few games. 

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The comments are depressing 

I haven't even read the comments yet but I can guess the kind of things being said, in other words all the usual rubbish arguments and insults football fans come out with towards any sport other than football. I'm gonna wager one of the most popular ones is that we will ruin their pitch? And I imagine the phrase 'minority sport' has been spouted a billion times? Oh yeah, and their favourite one that makes them all jizz themselves, calling our sport 'handegg'. Absolutely hilarious, top quality comedy that one..! I'm rolling in the aisles laughing! Ha... Ha... Ha... Ha... Ha. 

Yeah living in Hull you get this b'llocks a lot. I've heard it all a hell of a lot before. I feel genuinely sorry for these people that they can't look beyond the one sport their entire lives revolve around. If they did branch out a bit they'd discover a whole world full of extraordinary and exciting sports but whatever, their choice. 

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I haven't even read the comments yet but I can guess the kind of things being said, in other words all the usual rubbish arguments and insults football fans come out with towards any sport other than football. I'm gonna wager one of the most popular ones is that we will ruin their pitch? And I imagine the phrase 'minority sport' has been spouted a billion times? Oh yeah, and their favourite one that makes them all jizz themselves, calling our sport 'handegg'. Absolutely hilarious, top quality comedy that one..! I'm rolling in the aisles laughing! Ha... Ha... Ha... Ha... Ha. 

Yeah living in Hull you get this b'llocks a lot. I've heard it all a hell of a lot before. I feel genuinely sorry for these people that they can't look beyond the one sport their entire lives revolve around. If they did branch out a bit they'd discover a whole world full of extraordinary and exciting sports but whatever, their choice. 

The comments on that actually made me laugh so much. I didn't realise those sad acts called their pitch a 'carpet'! That is the saddest thing I have ever heard from a sports fan! 😂

I was right though, just about every comment was about ruining the pitch. These idiots don't realise that RL is played regularly at a number of shared stadiums round the country and those pitches (sorry, carpets) hold up fine do they? Prats. 😂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The comments on that actually made me laugh so much. I didn't realise those sad acts called their pitch a 'carpet'! That is the saddest thing I have ever heard from a sports fan! 😂

I was right though, just about every comment was about ruining the pitch. These idiots don't realise that RL is played regularly at a number of shared stadiums round the country and those pitches (sorry, carpets) hold up fine do they? Prats. 😂

Even funnier as they don’t have a game there until Boxing Day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

My wife enjoyed watching the video of the transformation yesterday on FB. She then read a few posts and found grown men referring to the pitch as carpet as extremely weird and found the comments bizarre overall. 

I hope she never stumbles across this forum... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RLX111 said:

Some Arsenal fans are already fans!

Fair point. I was referring to those who weren’t already and just fancied watching something different in their stadium. 

There is bound to be a bit of pushback at the 1st non football event in the stadium - whatever the sport was. 

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Even funnier as they don’t have a game there until Boxing Day

I have read every comment on that thread cos it was just so amusing. I did see one where someone pointed out the pitch will probably be relaid through the world cup break anyway and someone else pointed out that other Premier League stadiums are regularly used for rugby and are fine but those comments were lost in all the comments about ruining the carpet..! 😂

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My wife enjoyed watching the video of the transformation yesterday on FB. She then read a few posts and found grown men referring to the pitch as carpet as extremely weird and found the comments bizarre overall. 

I hope she never stumbles across this forum... 

I just found it so sad, like you say especially from grown men. Its the kind of thing a nerdy kid in school would say when he is trying to get in with the cool kids and pretending to like sport, thinking he's sounding sophisticated or something. If I'd have called the Boulevard pitch a carpet I'd have been beaten up, and rightly so I might add! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1