RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

We had some rugger u**** fans sat at the side of us and they absolutely loved it. They said “the skill,pace,defence of the Aussies is on another level to anything in their code”. 
There was a good atmosphere for the men’s game as there was no ###### up foul mouthed idiots around who can spoil events. We didn’t hang around for the Aussies lifting the World Cup, it was bloody freezing. 

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

I have not done the legwork on this, to my shame, but I wonder whether more people watched Samoa live (175k plus?) in this World Cup than any other team in any other World Cup… 

Easily - the played in front of the three best attended games (SJP, Emirates and OT) and the QF was 12k ish?

35 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I have not done the legwork on this, to my shame, but I wonder whether more people watched Samoa live (175k plus?) in this World Cup than any other team in any other World Cup… 

From a quick check, in 2013 NZ hit the 200k mark. 

74k final

67k semi

16k qf

43k groups

The Aussies in 2013:

74k final

67k semi

5.8k qf

19k group games

45k opener

Edited by Dave T

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

From a quick check, in 2013 NZ hit the 200k mark. 

74k final

67k semi

16k qf

43k groups

The Aussies in 2013:

74k final

67k semi

5.8k qf

19k group games

45k opener

It isn't right to me to count that 67k semi for both games.

• Like 1

I divided the semi by 2, which I thought was the accepted convention. 

If we do adopt that approach then the 2021 women’s tournament attracted huge (world record?) crowds. Which makes the 2021 overall total much higher. That’s brilliant news for 2021’s figures!

2 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If we do adopt that approach then the 2021 women’s tournament attracted huge (world record?) crowds. Which makes the 2021 overall total much higher. That’s brilliant news for 2021’s figures!

Nah, we don't accept England played in front of 33.5k in that semi. 

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

No, we don't double count. The 458k for 2013 doesn't get the 67k counted twice 

But in 2013 England played in front of 67k at Semi stage, and so did NZ - that isn't double counting. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No, we don't double count. The 458k for 2013 doesn't get the 67k counted twice 

But in 2013 England played in front of 67k at Semi stage, and so did NZ - that isn't double counting. 

I am slightly confused, though, when your figures above had both semis with 67k watching. 

Did anyone watch yesterday women’s final? Or did 60 odd k? 

I am slightly confused, though, when your figures above had both semis with 67k watching. 

Did anyone watch yesterday women’s final? Or did 60 odd k? 

In your completely made up stat of 'which team was watched most' its quite simple really. 

There is no scenario that would see you count England as having only 33k people watching them in 2013.

If you want to count cumulative attendance, each person is counted once. 

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think its ever been made explicitly clear (shock) whether the 750,000 figure was just the mens or included womens and wheelchair. 

Like you I was pleasantly surprised by the attendance at the Final yesterday. The Samoans brought a lot of colour and atmosphere, sadly not a lot of RLWC stuff around the ground (merch etc), which seemed similar to the Grand Final this year too.

There were cabins at the back of the North stand, advertising ALL STOCK MUST GO on the video screen, selling stuff off at the end of the game and doing a good trade, I bought some stuff myself.

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

Was available on the rfl's retail partner's website even a while back, not looked recently. 

Edit: Elite sports. Seems the GB jerseys and yellow combined nations jerseys finally gone. 

The GB shirts would never have been on there as they were made by Hummel, rather than Oxen 

7 hours ago, Leonard said:

They'll be quite a few people then wondering why I got then RLWC 2021 t-shirts for Christmas !

I see they are still trying to move old GB and Combined Nations stock.

Combined Nations stock?  Seriously?  Who'd ever buy any of that?

35 minutes ago, meast said:

There were cabins at the back of the North stand, advertising ALL STOCK MUST GO on the video screen, selling stuff off at the end of the game and doing a good trade, I bought some stuff myself.

Fair enough, didn't see any at our end (East) in the big area in front of the stand where lots of Samoans were gathering pre match.

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In your completely made up stat of 'which team was watched most' its quite simple really. 

There is no scenario that would see you count England as having only 33k people watching them in 2013.

If you want to count cumulative attendance, each person is counted once. 

It was made up by me completely. Thanks for acknowledging my original thought. Though it did come with a caveat that I hadn’t checked it. The “problem” this runs into is how to count double headers, but having been at pretty much all of the matches in question, I am happy enough with the NZ figure looked at any which way. The Australia figure is a lot more doubtful as 10s of thousands left before they started and there weren’t many left by the end. 

And - I hesitate to write this in case it’s considered to be a made up stat - how many watched the women’s final?

It may already have been mentioned but Jon Dutton acknowledged that the men’s tournament failed to reach its targets in his BBC interview. He did highlight that we had doubled the TV figures compared with 2013 (I appreciate that an increase would be inevitable given the number of games shown but nevertheless some of the figures have been none too shabby). He was also enthusiastic by the way the women’s and wheelchair games had gone. 

I would give him some credit for acknowledging the shortfall. 

It may already have been mentioned but Jon Dutton acknowledged that the men’s tournament failed to reach its targets in his BBC interview. He did highlight that we had doubled the TV figures compared with 2013 (I appreciate that an increase would be inevitable given the number of games shown but nevertheless some of the figures have been none too shabby). He was also enthusiastic by the way the women’s and wheelchair games had gone. 

I would give him some credit for acknowledging the shortfall. 

TV figures were always going to be higher than 2013 seeing as Premier Sports were the main broadcasters for that and the BBC only showed 6 live games. Plus the fact it’s 61 games v 28 games. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair enough, didn't see any at our end (East) in the big area in front of the stand where lots of Samoans were gathering pre match.

We were in the west stand bought 2 Samoan scarves, a Samoan cap, Samoan ball and a NZ t shirt… grand total of £28… 

42 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It was made up by me completely. Thanks for acknowledging my original thought. Though it did come with a caveat that I hadn’t checked it. The “problem” this runs into is how to count double headers, but having been at pretty much all of the matches in question, I am happy enough with the NZ figure looked at any which way. The Australia figure is a lot more doubtful as 10s of thousands left before they started and there weren’t many left by the end. 

And - I hesitate to write this in case it’s considered to be a made up stat - how many watched the women’s final?

I'm happy to count the official announced attendance for any comparisons (but not to add them together to double count). 

Using that methodology, 67k was the crowd for the women's final. But if you won't count the Aussie men's 2013 semi final (and I agree with your approach) then we can't count 67k for the women yesterday. 

And this is ultimately why we have to go with the announced crowd in reality, because otherwise the women's attendance is just a guess. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm happy to count the official announced attendance for any comparisons (but not to add them together to double count). 

Using that methodology, 67k was the crowd for the women's final. But if you won't count the Aussie men's 2013 semi final (and I agree with your approach) then we can't count 67k for the women yesterday. 

And this is ultimately why we have to go with the announced crowd in reality, because otherwise the women's attendance is just a guess. 

And hence one answer to the question “how many attended the women’s final” could be 67k, and the aggregate women’s World Cup figure could include that, eg in an overall made up figure of 130k.

But it would be wrong to argue that 550k attended the men’s and women’s world cups. 

Figures can be slippery!

how about this as a made up fact: far more people watched Samoa play than any non big 3 team in any tournament…