RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

28 minutes ago, Leonard said:

The counterfactual will never be known. But fact is someone could have watched quite cheaply if they wanted. If those areas were full and the expensive seats empty, I would be more convinced. 

6300 managed it for a less attractive game at Kingston Park. 

Exactly.

I'm not saying the pricing is correct, but given there were cheap tickets empty I'm more inclined to think it has more to do with a) local league die-hards not bothering and b) cash being very short for people at the moment.

I would add too many games at the same venues but I will wait to see how it plays out across all the venues before drawing that conclusion.

We can make all the excuses we want, but the fact is that not enough people in the heartlands wanted to buy the cheapest available tickets to watch NZ play on their doorstep even with an extra year of build up.  More people bothered to go to a far worse game in Newcastle.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

Going through the remaining fixtures and based on what we've seen so far (on the field), I think these will be the best potential games to draw a crowd

• Tonga v PNG - 10k
  • Eng v Fra - 25k
  • Leb v Ire - 10k (this will decide QF spot)
  • NZ v Ire - 15k (esp. if Ire beat Leb)
  • Sam v Fra - 13k ((this will decide QF spot, and hopefully France have a good showing against England)

Potential QF

• Aus v Ire/Leb - 15k (Huddersfield)
  • Eng v PNG - 25k (Wigan)
  • NZ v Fiji - 15k (Hull)
  • Ton v Samoa/Fra - 13k (HJ)

Potential SF

• Aus v NZ - 40k (Leeds)
  • Eng v Ton - 60k (Emirates)

Potential Final

• NZ/Aus v Eng - 70k (OT)

TOTAL - 311,000 + 74,464 that have already attended = 385,464

There are a remaining 44 fixtures across mens, womens and wheelchair, they would need to average 4,200 to get a total aggregate of 570k. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Buy on the day? Yes. Ticket office will be open from 9am until half an hour after kick off. As will the online sales, so you can simply buy in the pub, have an extra pint and go straight to the turnstiles. 

What a fantastic concept. Pop to the pub and get a pint, a packet of pork scratchings and a match ticket over the bar. Brilliant Matt. 👏

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mark S said:

No more internationals at Headingley. If they can’t get a decent number of fans to a game then we should suspend them from hosting internationals. I know Leeds have over stretched to pay for the new stands but it’s not up to the rest of the game to finance it.

There’s simply too many games at Headingley (and Wire)

But I suspect your just on an anti leeds windup again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Balmain1969 said:

Going through the remaining fixtures and based on what we've seen so far (on the field), I think these will be the best potential games to draw a crowd

• Tonga v PNG - 10k
  • Eng v Fra - 25k
  • Sam v Fra - 13k ((this will decide QF spot, and hopefully France have a good showing against England)

Potential QF

• NZ v Fiji - 15k (Hull)

Potential SF

• Aus v NZ - 40k (Leeds)

Potential Final

There are a remaining 44 fixtures across mens, womens and wheelchair, they would need to average 4,200 to get a total aggregate of 570k. 

Eng v France has already sold 30k+. I would be quite surprised if Eng v Greece didn’t manage 30k either. 

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Eng v France has already sold 30k+. I would be quite surprised if Eng v Greece didn’t manage 30k either. 

I think at Bolton it's a 28k capacity with c5k left. But they should get a boost from the other day. 

24 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Only the more pricey tickets left at Bolton now. It won’t be far off full, I reckon.

Tonight’s game looks like a poor crowd at Doncaster, but I think it could be a good game. 

Newcastle crowd was fine yesterday and they made plenty of noise at the other two.

Hindsight will, I am sure, be telling organisers they got some pricing wrong - and in some cases, considerably more wrong - but I’m just trying to enjoy the rugby from here. 

Looked at Bolton - again just not possible to get home even for a 5pm kick off. Avanti have well and truly ballsed up.

4 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think at Bolton it's a 28k capacity with c5k left. But they should get a boost from the other day. 

See, now we're being positive. The world hasn't ended yet!!

1 hour ago, meast said:

Absolutely, but then as fans of a sport we don't help ourselves do we?

Instead of bigging up this tournament and shouting about how good it is to be hosting this festival of the game with some of the biggest stars and the passion it all brings, we just complain that we are being asked to pay for it.

I totally get times are hard, they are for me too, but this is my relief from the Crapp that's going on in the world right now.

We should be championing the hell out of it not spitting dummies out because some tickets are £55 etc.

As shown with cup games and play offs, rugby league fans don't like paying for things.

I think people are bigging up the tournament to be fair but rightfully pointing out that a lot of tickets are expensive for what they are.

Rugby League fans do pay for things like tickets and top flight rugby league fans have been paying to view on subscription tv since Noah was a lad.

I think you’re being overly harsh here probably born out of frustration of how things ‘look on tv’.

27 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Buy on the day? Yes. Ticket office will be open from 9am until half an hour after kick off. As will the online sales, so you can simply buy in the pub, have an extra pint and go straight to the turnstiles. 

I'll decide on the Cooks , Wales game on Wednesday then , did you tell me about on the day sales last Friday ? , I saw your lips moving , but no idea what you were saying 😂

Edited by GUBRATS

2 minutes ago, Balmain1969 said:

• Tonga v PNG - 10k
  • Eng v Fra - 25k

Potential QF

• NZ v Fiji - 15k (Hull)

Potential SF

• Aus v NZ - 40k (Leeds)

Potential Final

I can’t see NZ v Fiji getting 15k. It should but I don’t think it will. Just another observation is don’t forget some game days have been switched from the original schedule too. I’m going to the three group games at Doncaster which now include two Monday night matches which IIRC were going to be on more convenient days for the casual supporter to attend. Or is my memory playing tricks? I tried finding the original fixture dates but failed to see one.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think people are bigging up the tournament to be fair but rightfully pointing out that a lot of tickets are expensive for what they are.

Rugby League fans do pay for things like tickets and top flight rugby league fans have been paying to view on subscription tv since Noah was a lad.

I think you’re being overly harsh here probably born out of frustration of how things ‘look on tv’.

Sort that by " simplification , simplification , SIMPLIFICATION " to quote one of my favourite episodes of the Simpsons 😂

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

I have 11 out of 31 mens games within 7 miles of my home. I'm spoilt for choice, but will pick and choose what I'll invest my time and money in. People are doing that now. 

Wow....I'd be at every game if I was that close 

Us fans in the south are being royally shafted at the men's world cup this time...

I'm going to two weekends....Friday/saturday ....

Petrol up and down with two nights hotel is about £200......the price of the ticket is almost incidental in comparison 

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

One thing that is certain, fans will be angry at other fans. 

It's a little like the country overall, without going too political, people get angry with their fellow people instead of the leaders. 

I'll be seen as a negative person around this, but I've put my money where my mouth is, championed the event for years and dragged along new fans. 

I'm pretty angry about the arrogance of the organisers. 

• Like 3

I’ve not done the stats research on this but in any team competition some matches aren’t as attractive as others and therefore attract lower crowds. Aren’t we seeing a version of that with yesterdays games. 

Also as RL fans we know mismatched games aren’t very attractive to watch. If you think Jamaica might lost by 60 points or so and you are a neutral would you bother? Maybe if the games was novel to you, which is why one of yesterdays games should have been in a non heartland area. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Us fans in the south are being royally shafted at the men's world cup this time...

Petrol up and down with two nights hotel is about £200......the price of the ticket is almost incidental in comparison 

Yes , but you're a rich southerner 😉

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Maybe if our economy wasn’t so London-centric there would be no need for this northern powerhouse type funding of events in the first place and we’d be richer up here to boot!

(Fair play to your commitment of course!)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Balmain1969 said:

• Tonga v PNG - 10k
  • Eng v Fra - 25k

Potential QF

• NZ v Fiji - 15k (Hull)

Potential SF

• Aus v NZ - 40k (Leeds)

Potential Final

I think some of these numbers are optimistic now but they indicate that so very much is now riding on England performing.

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

And women's!