RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I think there are some hefty freebies knocking around that are unused which maybe explains big differences. 

We had access to free tickets last week via neices dance school, and it was 5 tickets per kid, with uptake pretty modest. 

Would suggest a lot of freebies as you say, as dance school wouldn't be high up the list.

Still I am generally in favour of this especially if targeting children. Tend to think sports underestimate the long-term value of attracting new fans. 

Really struggling to get my head around how poor the crowds have been at Warrington. Three attractive group games, plenty of peripheral stuff around town but folk aren't bothered.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

Really struggling to get my head around how poor the crowds have been at Warrington. Three attractive group games, plenty of peripheral stuff around town but folk aren't bothered.

The idea of shopping around games falls apart a bit if every attendance is low.

I think there is genuine apathy.

Which is fine if you are a connoisseur of the game and aren't sold on one sided beatdowns.

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Yep.

This one is a big game. The NW public think not.

Will be interesting to see if the DW sells out. After Bolton and Sheffield it should easily for a better and bigger game.

I have my doubts though.

10 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Yep.

This one is a big game. The NW public think not.

Equally, if you are in North West England this is the 9th World Cup match in the last 14 days. There are also two more to comes in the next 7 days.

A saturated market?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Skinnywinger said:

Still looks awful in a 30k stadium

I was there. Really good atmosphere with the Tonga fans and loads of locals were overheard saying how much enjoyed the occasion

Still, I’m sure you’d have preferred it at St Helen’s in front of 4000

• Like 4

Just now, Chris22 said:

Equally, if you are in North West England this is the 9th World Cup match in the last 14 days. There are also two more to comes in the next 7 days.

A saturated market?

I would be interested to know the average crowds of Wigan, Wire, St Helens, Leigh etc. compared to the total crowds for the games held in the area. 2 to 1?

Bearing in mind a fair few going will reasonably not be regulars of the clubs.

Although Bolton would be hard to judge on that score.

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

I was there. Really good atmosphere with the Tonga fans and loads of locals were overheard saying how much enjoyed the occasion

Still, I’m sure you’d have preferred it at St Helen’s in front of 4000

I think nigh on 9k in a new area is fine. Tonga fans have been great.

1 minute ago, OriginalMrC said:

For balance, I think the crowd at Warrington looks OK. Stadium looks fairly full 

It's a good game - which reminds me to log off as i will have to watch on Iplayer later and don;t want spoilers.

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

Not really. How many fans at games in the NW this weekend? Not many.

There's only going to be so many people interested in a Rugby League World Cup. Of those, there is a significant cost of living consideration being made (both by RL demographics and the Warrington/St Helens/Wigan/Leigh/Bolton areas), and there's loads of choice.

Supply outstripping demand is a perfectly normal thing to notice.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

There's only going to be so many people interested in a Rugby League World Cup. Of those, there is a significant cost of living consideration being made (both by RL demographics and the Warrington/St Helens/Wigan/Leigh/Bolton areas), and there's loads of choice.

Supply outstripping demand is a perfectly normal thing to notice.

Completely agree. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

The Wire crowd looks good to me. I am sure I have seen sparser crowds there for Warrington games. The only disappointing crowd so far this round was the shocker at Saints. 

It's probably another 6k crowd, which seems to be a standard number for a lot of World Cup games. 

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

The Wire crowd looks good to me. I am sure I have seen sparser crowds there for Warrington games. The only disappointing crowd so far this round was the shocker at Saints. 

I would add, its very noisy and a nice atmosphere. 

18 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

A saturated market?

One thing I would add, all these games are neutral games

A lot of fans are fans of their club, not necessarily watching games as neutrals. 

It's a mistaken assumption that staging a game at a ground will appeal to all their fans. Many couldn't care less. 

We have to get better at understanding our market. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I would have probably been there this evening had I not been groundhopping in Middlesbrough!

• Like 1

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

40 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’ll point out again that this was not the case for the women’s Euros - which is one of the tournaments we are measuring ourselves against.

I'd argue the toss there , my son attended a match at the LSV which was announced as sold out , which seated only was 7,700 ish , but he said there was at least a 1000+ unoccupied 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I'd argue the toss there , my son attended a match at the LSV which was announced as sold out , which seated only was 7,700 ish , but he said there was at least a 1000+ unoccupied 

Exactly.

Announced attendances at Leigh were 5,902, 6,966, 7,118 and 7,517.

You couldn't get tickets for the last one as it 'sold out' but the announced attendance is under the number of tickets sold.

Similar to the Amex Quarter Final I was at. Announced as 30,000 tickets old but then attendance on the night was 28,000ish and it was the 28,000 figure given.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly.

Announced attendances at Leigh were 5,902, 6,966, 7,118 and 7,517.

You couldn't get tickets for the last one as it 'sold out' but the announced attendance is under the number of tickets sold.

Similar to the Amex Quarter Final I was at. Announced as 30,000 tickets old but then attendance on the night was 28,000ish and it was the 28,000 figure given.

On the flip side, I've been at games where the capacity number has been announced where there are empty seats. I don't think it is 100% consistent in approach. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Not really. How many fans at games in the NW this weekend? Not many.

I'll use myself as a practical example.

There will have been matches at Warrington on consecutive Sundays (four in three weeks in total).

I have chosen to attend next week's quarter final rather than today's match, even though this match did appeal to me.

People like me are the target for both matches. I can't help but think if we spread venues more, our target audience would be bigger.

The 2013 team were critical of their decision to 'spread too thinly'. I've never understood that as I thought it was critical to the tournament's success.

• Like 2