RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This is it. Low crowds will just lead to lower crowds and the opposite is true.

I said before the tournament my gut was that it would be something between 2000 and 2013 and it's looking that way. England will do OK, the quarters, semis and final will do OK but a lot in-between will be poor.

The pricing was absurd for many games as was the location. How did they end up with two games in Newcastle and two in Leeds over the weekend?

Genuinely gutted so far. I’ll be struggling to even turn on the TV for the game tonight as it’s going to look and sound awful. Fed up of the authorities letting the sport and its players down time and time again. 

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Where’s the vibrancy of 2013 Dave? I went to loads of games. Hooked with the colour, thousands of kids on the pitch, fairly well attended games, and good noise everywhere. Less a few flags in Newcastle, there’s been none of that (even without the technical failure, the opening ceremony was sun-standard and cheap). I was really keen to take my 5-yr old to the QF at Wigan as she’d have loved the colour and vibrancy of 2013. Really struggling for motivation now… really struggling.

Ive been slightly sheltered from it so far. 

I've been in Newcastle all weekend and St James was great, and Kingston Park was decent, probably in line with what I expected. We had a very nice afternoon. 

Had I gone to Leeds or Wire I'd have probably been more negative, but I didn't even get to watch them live as I was travelling. 

I worry about tonight's game. There is a risk of a downward spiral. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This is it. Low crowds will just lead to lower crowds and the opposite is true.

I said before the tournament my gut was that it would be something between 2000 and 2013 and it's looking that way. England will do OK, the quarters, semis and final will do OK but a lot in-between will be poor.

The pricing was absurd for many games as was the location. How did they end up with two games in Newcastle and two in Leeds over the weekend?

In fairness, they originally were having those games in Leeds and Newcastle in Hull and Workington respectively. However, they didn't choose to change the schedule when they had to move the venues.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think you have to work hard behind the scenes now. Youth groups, community groups, sports teams etc. is where you can probably offer discounts, but not publicly now. 

I agree. As you know I've been long against the kinds of discounting that we often see in RL but what you outline could and absolutely should be done.

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Where’s the vibrancy of 2013 Dave? I went to loads of games. Hooked with the colour, thousands of kids on the pitch, fairly well attended games, and good noise everywhere. Less a few flags in Newcastle, there’s been none of that (even without the technical failure, the opening ceremony was sun-standard and cheap). I was really keen to take my 5-yr old to the QF at Wigan as she’d have loved the colour and vibrancy of 2013. Really struggling for motivation now… really struggling.

I'll disagree on the opening welcome, obviously it ended in farce, but I thought it was positioned nicely. I thought the flags and colour, with the Kaiser Chiefs clearly to play through it, was good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

There is a lot of concern about some disappointing attendances with the cost of tickets being largely to blame.

There are probably some valid criticisms we could make in relation to the marketing and pricing strategies. But wouldn't it be sensible for the tournament to progress a little further before we all rush too hastily to judgement?

No. It wouldn't. Feedback needs to be live to have any credibility.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I've been in Newcastle all weekend and St James was great, and Kingston Park was decent, probably in line with what I expected. We had a very nice afternoon. 

Had I gone to Leeds or Wire I'd have probably been more negative, but I didn't even get to watch them live as I was travelling. 

This… MD has said the same. You build momentum and interest by people wanting to buy into an event… it’s spiralling out of control and needs intervention now. 

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Genuinely gutted so far. I’ll be struggling to even turn on the TV for the game tonight as it’s going to look and sound awful. Fed up of the authorities letting the sport and its players down time and time again. 

You’ve pretty much summed up how I feel. I messaged a good few non rugby league fans to watch games on TV, but won’t bother until the next England game now, as I can’t face the resulting questions about empty stadiums.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I agree. As you know I've been long against the kinds of discounting that we often see in RL but what you outline could and absolutely should be done.

Even businesses. Get anywhere where you can hit volume of people. 

I'm bored of people talking about gate receipts. Bums on seats is an indicator of health and demand, nobody is talking about the fact that NZ v Lebanon may have made more than 2013 games at Wire. 

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

This… MD has said the same. You build momentum and interest by people wanting to buy into an event… it’s spiralling out of control and needs intervention now. 

I feel like Saints tomorrow is make or break tbh. 

Plenty on social media wanting £5 for kids and £15 - £20. So basically they value international rugby league the same as the championship. 

Some CAT A B C prices are way out. But let's not forget that we are not even selling out tickets for £25. 

I was really up for this WC but personally all my motivation and excitement has evaporated. I haven't watch much SL live in years as I had got bored of it. The RLWC was something I was very excited wise but nobody seems to be buying into it after Saturday. After tomorrows night at Saints I'll probably switch off until the quarter finals.

A recent history of bargain basement prices and heavily discounted tickets has become the norm and it's completely cheapened the sport. This sport will never get where it needs to be internationally on tickets for £20.

So many complain about how skint the sport is but also tell others how it's "the greatest game" well it cannot be that good if you value you it at £20 a game. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think you have to work hard behind the scenes now. Youth groups, community groups, sports teams etc. is where you can probably offer discounts, but not publicly now. 

Free tickets for the kids and adults pay a 'carers' charge - if you want to avoid any accusations of discounting.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Where’s the vibrancy of 2013 Dave? I went to loads of games. Hooked with the colour, thousands of kids on the pitch, fairly well attended games, and good noise everywhere. Less a few flags in Newcastle, there’s been none of that (even without the technical failure, the opening ceremony was sub-standard and cheap). I was really keen to take my 5-yr old to the QF at Wigan as she’d have loved the colour and vibrancy of 2013. Really struggling for motivation now… really struggling.

Imagine being a player!

This should be the pinnacle of the sport and playing in front of half empty stadiums just doesn't do it.

Again, it's the small things as you've mentioned above.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I feel like Saints tomorrow is make or break tbh. 

Yep - big game. Two quality sides with top class players. 

Saints is the last place I’d want to be putting my faith in the sport on… the locals are pretty fickle (and stubborn) at the best of times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Saints is the last place I’d want to be putting my faith in the sport on… the locals are pretty fickle (and stubborn) at the best of times.

If we get 10k+ tomorrow and 7k+ at Leigh on Weds, hopefully it will start to change the narrative. 

Because I think either side of that we have two more difficult games. Doncaster tonight and Coventry on Friday. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Even businesses. Get anywhere where you can hit volume of people. 

I'm bored of people talking about gate receipts. Bums on seats is an indicator of health and demand, nobody is talking about the fact that NZ v Lebanon may have made more than 2013 games at Wire. 

There is a balance here and it doesn't seem to have been found.

We did need to break the belief, which I see repeated on my Twitter feed today, that an international match costs a tenner for adults and a fiver for kids. There needs to be a pathway towards making international tickets valued tickets, not the sporting equivalent of Sports Direct. There is a fair argument that after three relatively successful world cups we could take a few more risks.

On the other hand you cannot go from cheap as chips to Twickers prices: especially when the market you are relying on (RL fans) have a very fixed idea of how much rugby costs.

All in all that means I'm pretty angry about £50-70 tickets for seats at our normal SL grounds - we are going to be staring at middle blocks of seats with nobody in them for the next fortnight. But on the other hand, as you've pointed out, there are very reasonable £20-25 tickets for exciting games and I don't know why those aren't being bought.

• Like 6

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I assume with seats allocated that is just a nightmare to organise and given their inability to do the simple things - wouldn't end well. You can imagine people turning up with the wrong tickets etc.

The majority have digital tickets that can be re-printed easy enough, I wasn't suggesting change without confirmation with the customer

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Been near the stadium a lot recently and apart from the odd sign on light posts there virtually nothing else and their social media channels have been quite. I'll go for 7000 at best. I bought my ticket for £25 but if they was unavailable then I'd have no arguments paying £40. 

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You can be more negative ? 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, Spidey said:

You can be more negative ? 😉

I am not sure how you can have a downward spiral unless people start returning tickets, which they can't, or simply don't turn up in their masses.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

There is a balance here and it doesn't seem to have been found.

We did need to break the belief, which I see repeated on my Twitter feed today, that an international match costs a tenner for adults and a fiver for kids. 

For England, yes.

For France v Greece in Doncaster, the maximum price should be about 25 quid and free under 16s

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'll disagree on the opening welcome, obviously it ended in farce, but I thought it was positioned nicely. I thought the flags and colour, with the Kaiser Chiefs clearly to play through it, was good. 

I really enjoyed it and a number of friends and family watched it on Tv and enjoyed it seeing England was great and crowd looked really good but then I won't watch all games as I have had more then enough Rugby this weekend and apart from finals I pick and choose the games I know that might make me a bit negative about the sport.

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

For England, yes.

For France v Greece in Doncaster, the maximum price should be about 25 quid and free under 16s

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Am I misremembering or in 2013 did we not have 'categories' of games with different pricing tiers? That's what we should have had here

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.