RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

19 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

The attendances throughout the tournament have been pretty grim. I think we've got to admit it's just not that popular. It's hard to admit it as we all love our game but the numbers don't lie.

I don't think anyone on here has delusions of the popularity of the game (or otherwise), but it is fair to be disappointed with a tournament that has delivered a lower attendance than 2013, with some clear missteps that were obvious to everyone but the organisers.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I don't think anyone on here has delusions of the popularity of the game (or otherwise), but it is fair to be disappointed with a tournament that has delivered a lower attendance than 2013, with some clear missteps that were obvious to everyone but the organisers.

I can't understand why they chose the Emirates at Arsenal. They'd have filled the Etihad in Manchester. It's just too expensive for some to go to London. Look at the recent attendances for the challenge cup finals. 

Just now, moorside roughyed said:

I can't understand why they chose the Emirates at Arsenal. They'd have filled the Etihad in Manchester. It's just too expensive for some to go to London. Look at the recent attendances for the challenge cup finals. 

For starters, it wasn’t available yesterday. Neither was Anfield. Neither was St James Park. And quite frankly, the ‘heartlands’ have had 3 x English games to attend either in Lancashire or Yorkshire yet haven’t filled any of them. They didn’t even travel in great numbers to Newcastle. The sport must appeal to a broader market than simply trying to get the same fan base to turn up to every event. It’s simply ridiculous not to.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The semi finals were fantastic games. Which is just as well, really.

My major concern about the women's tournament remains that I don't trust the people in charge to know how to build on the interest either in England or outside.

Wheelchair I don't know enough about to comment.

The Semi Finals were good games yes, but it was disappointing to see swathes of empty seats at Arsenal, and we were saved face somewhat by the configuration of Elland Road that made it less obvious it was only 75% full with banks of empty seating blocks. 

I could take the pretty poor general tournament heartland attendance figures if they were backed up by sellouts (or near sellouts) for the England games. Instead, it seems like we've ended up with close to 65k empty seats (officially) at the 5 England games across the tournament.

I agree I don't think most of RL knows or is capable of supporting the womens game to grow further.

Wheelchair (and womens RL) could be a genuine avenue for expansion all over the place. I hope this keeps on building. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

England weren’t in it, and there have been loads of other games in the North already. 

But it was well known they were the two best sides, so with so many RL fans within reach, it should have done better than the southern one? 

There's no real reason for southerners to turn out, so the fact that so many of them do is testament to the appeal of big games down there. 

To be fair, whilst I doubt the number of people there was anywhere near 40k, the cat a section I was in was rammed. I also I know someone who was in corporate. So not all bad. Atmosphere was immense second half where I was. 

15 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Oh literally go look in a mirror and slap yourself across the face. Where in the heartlands can fit 40k in? Less Old Trafford, all the football grounds are in use today.

And frankly just coming from the game, thousands of new fans just loved that game despite the result. People around me where wetting themselves with excitement. Yes, the crowd was not good enough but this frankly ridiculous mentality of heartlands over everything is why we are in the devastating position we are in today.

The fans from the heartlands haven't supported this tournament, yesterday was a mainly southern based crowd I think.

Time to get away from the heartlands if we want to expand the international game.

Sick of seeing and hearing fans from the heartlands whine and moan about crowds but then don't go to these games themselves.

If the fans in the heartlands can't be bothered then why should others?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

London provides consistently our best international attendances (alongside Leeds and world cup finals at OT). It has always come out to support England/GB. 

Add to the fact that there were already knocking on 300,000 tickets to sell in the West of the Pennines, the Etihad would have been a disaster imo.

London should have had arguably 1 of the 2 group games after the opener. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

London provides consistently our best international attendances (alongside Leeds and world cup finals at OT). It has always come out to support England/GB. 

Add to the fact that there were already knocking on 300,000 tickets to sell in the West of the Pennines, the Etihad would have been a disaster imo.

London should have had arguably 1 of the 2 group games after the opener. 

Why would the Etihad be a disaster,it's more local to where most rugby league fans come from.

1 minute ago, moorside roughyed said:

Why would the Etihad be a disaster,it's more local to where most rugby league fans come from.

If they didn't fill Bolton or the DW they aren't filling the Emptyhad. 

Just now, moorside roughyed said:

Have you seen the attendances at:

Warrington, St Helens, Leigh, Wigan, Bolton.

Oh and the final is in Manchester too. The area is already saturated with RLWC tickets (and 2, what could have been 3, England games)

History tells us (England) internationals get the biggest crowds in Leeds and London. The Etihad for this semifinal would have redefined Emptyhad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meast said:

The fans from the heartlands haven't supported this tournament, yesterday was a mainly southern based crowd I think.

Time to get away from the heartlands if we want to expand the international game.

Sick of seeing and hearing fans from the heartlands whine and moan about crowds but then don't go to these games themselves.

If the fans in the heartlands can't be bothered then why should others?

100% agree the vast majority of the fans yesterday were from the south very few travelled down from the north for this match.

Only way to expand the game is with the England brand and certainly not in traditional areas where the majority of RL fans are fans of their clubs and not the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Buying a ticket for Final in advance of the Semis then not going because England didn’t make is all a bit toys out of the pram stuff isn’t it?

I finally got round to buying mine during the semi final, then immediately after Samoa scored their first try. I’m taking partial blame of the final score

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Have you seen the attendances at:

Warrington, St Helens, Leigh, Wigan, Bolton.

Oh and the final is in Manchester too. The area is already saturated with RLWC tickets (and 2, what could have been 3, England games)

History tells us (England) internationals get the biggest crowds in Leeds and London. The Etihad for this semifinal would have redefined Emptyhad.

Or we could just accept that the game isn't that popular and use smaller venues so it doesn't look as embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Buying a ticket for Final in advance of the Semis then not going because England didn’t make is all a bit toys out of the pram stuff isn’t it?

Right, so I'll go along and watch a procession of trys for Australia, spend a load more money - and by myself, just in case you think I aren't a dedicated enough fan? Can't see it. It's not as if I haven't been to the last 2 WC finals in this country not involving England.

I've paid my money, they can keep it, but that's probably where my involvement ends. 

Edited by The Masked Poster

Just now, Tosh said:

London also has the largest or one of the largest Aussie and kiwi expat communities in the world.

Two people next to us were ex pat Kiwis. Guys in front were from London, one was ex pat Samoa. Lots of SH ex pats all around.

• Like 1

Just now, The Masked Poster said:

Right, so I'll go along and watch a procession of trys for Australia, spend a load more money - and by myself, just in case you think I aren't a dedicated enough fan? Can't see it.

I've paid my money, they can keep it, but that's probably where my involvement ends. 

Why did you buy a ticket before the semis then?

i didn’t say you weren’t dedicated i said you were throwing your toys out of the pram.

Dont go, your ticket will still be counted and its an extra empty seat for seat counters to spot.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I have a ticket and will be going, but I don't dismiss the sentiment out of hand. We've seen plenty of "no shows" according to the tournament organisers this world cup across the three tournaments. Its entirely possible people have been to one game and not thought to bother with another; the must see element has certainly been lacking, as has the events themselves.

If you were going by yourself, I can see why you might be questioning it now.

1 minute ago, The Masked Poster said:

Right, so I'll go along and watch a procession of trys for Australia, spend a load more money - and by myself, just in case you think I aren't a dedicated enough fan? Can't see it. It's not as if I haven't been to the last 2 WC finals in this country not involving England.

Your choice. Why not extend your boycott to post-match commenting on the final, too? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think more drugs tbh, but defo drinks. 

Hollering, howling, shouting random things and all roaring laughing, shouting obscenities to each other across groups etc. 

Just being a pain in the ass basically. 

Should have moved Dave, I was originally in block 20 on the lower tier with people up and down to the concourse,but 10 minutes in I moved and went and sat/stood on an empty row on the upper tier in 126.

Was a great atmosphere up there by the end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Capacity about 52,000. Average crowd, over 50,000.

If you can't get that right, why believe anything else you post?

Yes, Bolton and DW were sold out apart from 2k seats. And they looked it on camera and non of those were free tickets where they?

I think you can take those numbers with a pinch of salt.