RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

1 minute ago, Black Country Wire said:

Agreed. I've been to several international football tournaments over the years and you generally only get a live singer at the final.

I won't pay £20 for NZ v Lebanon, and Lebanon aren't overly weak, but if I know the Lebanese anthem will be sung and there would be some school kids pre game I would? It's bonkers. 

Just now, Leonard said:

Singers of anthems are irrelevant. For example, you wouldn't even know that's a thing until you get to the stadium, so not sure that is relevant for ticket sales.

Again, I think the cancellation probably drained the coffers. And cuts reasonably had to be made. 

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Singers of anthems are irrelevant. For example, you wouldn't even know that's a thing until you get to the stadium, so not sure that is relevant for ticket sales.

Again, I think the cancellation probably drained the coffers. And cuts reasonably had to be made. 

Nobody has said that. But its an example of lack of quality, and attention to detail. 

• Like 3

Just now, Leonard said:

Not for me. But I've always been of the view the ancillary non game stuff is just faff. It never has or will move my needle. 

Then this conversation isn't about you. You're already catered for the by the game and game alone.

But, for example, I'm not taking my son to Wembley to watch the Lionesses play USA on a Friday evening from Hastings just to watch a game that may or may not be any good. And yet I did because there was a full event experience behind it and we knew he was guaranteed to have a decent time even if the game turned out to be parp (it wasn't but, by then, it didn't matter).

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I paid similar prices for Kent v lancs in the 40 over final last month. And that was with both teams being a hybrid of first and second team players, having agreed not to play test or one day international players. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think NZ v Lebanon on a Sunday night and on BBC would have got over 6k if it had been outside the heartlands? I don’t personally, though of course we’ll never know. 

I think you've already massively restricted your chances of a five figure attendance by playing it at a ground with too many games in a part of the country flooded with matches - at a time of day when people from outside the area will struggle to get to and from it easily.

So no guarantees, but it wasn't set up for success.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It is so frustrating because so much has been got right in terms of the marketing 'look' and the quality of the teams involved - and the genuine attempt at inclusivity.

But ... people need to be there to see it happen.

I think it's clear, Dutton is style over substance. 

The whole look of the tournament is lovely. I really like the branding, it looks and feels like a major event around the grounds. Both Newcastle games were branded really nicely. 

Things like the draw, the hobnobbing with politicians and celebs, all that stuff has been great. 

I think they've forgotten about customers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Then this conversation isn't about you. You're already catered for the by the game and game alone.

But, for example, I'm not taking my son to Wembley to watch the Lionesses play USA on a Friday evening from Hastings just to watch a game that may or may not be any good. And yet I did because there was a full event experience behind it and we knew he was guaranteed to have a decent time even if the game turned out to be parp (it wasn't but, by then, it didn't matter).

To be fair, any excuse to get out of Hastings.  .......😉

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Not for me. But I've always been of the view the ancillary non game stuff is just faff. It never has or will move my needle. 

Doesn't float my boat either but then I'm an RL fan and will go to the games for their own sake.

There will be those outside the normal fan base for whom this may have appeal though.

Although please god no f**"ing Mexican waves! 😡

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

8 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Fact is tickets had been on sale for £20 and £10 concessions. 

Cool. I assume the ground was full? 

Tbh you have no argument when stating pricing was fine. 

Every time you claim it, I'll point to the actual attendances. 

The problem I have is the cost of travelling from Devon. Generally ticket prices are OK, but add in the cost of hotels, food and fuel and it turns into an expensive experience. What would help is for the organisers to allow  camper vans and motorhomes to overnight at the venues, then I would probably be at most games!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sitona said:

The problem I have is the cost of travelling from Devon. Generally ticket prices are OK, but add in the cost of hotels, food and fuel and it turns into an expensive experience. What would help is for the organisers to allow  camper vans and motorhomes to overnight at the venues, then I would probably be at most games!

Trains in the north west do seem ruined at at the moment and make evening games hard to attend. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think NZ v Lebanon on a Sunday night and on BBC would have got over 6k if it had been outside the heartlands? I don’t personally, though of course we’ll never know. 

I do.

I think that there is a similar default level of interest in NZL-LEB if that game is played in Warrington, Hull, Bristol or Reading. Counting further against Warrington, however, was (a) the fact that they have 4 (is it?) games to sell there and (b) much of the local RL market has a ticket price threshold in mind that they won't cross.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Cool. I assume the ground was full? 

Tbh you have no argument when stating pricing was fine. 

Every time you claim it, I'll point to the actual attendances. 

The counterfactual will never be known. But fact is someone could have watched quite cheaply if they wanted. If those areas were full and the expensive seats empty, I would be more convinced. 

6300 managed it for a less attractive game at Kingston Park. 

The counterfactual will never be known. But fact is someone could have watched quite cheaply if they wanted. If those areas were full and the expensive seats empty, I would be more convinced. 

6300 managed it for a less attractive game at Kingston Park. 

£25 is clearly not the right price point. 

You and I may be happy with that price, clearly the masses aren't. 

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'd also add - having been to cricket and football international tournaments - that every game is treated like an experience.

We seem (and I'm obviously not going to a game as life and distance is getting in the way) to really have dropped the ball on the 'experience' side of this.

As Dave has put , back in 2013 the communities were seemingly much better involved , I recall the dance stuff he posted about being done by the Leigh community dept , not heard of anything this time around 

• Like 2

No more internationals at Headingley. If they can’t get a decent number of fans to a game then we should suspend them from hosting internationals. I know Leeds have over stretched to pay for the new stands but it’s not up to the rest of the game to finance it.

3 minutes ago, Mark S said:

No more internationals at Headingley. If they can’t get a decent number of fans to a game then we should suspend them from hosting internationals. I know Leeds have over stretched to pay for the new stands but it’s not up to the rest of the game to finance it.

By the end of this tournament, we will have banished many grounds on this basis. 

Add Wire to your list already. 

To put a positive hat on for a moment, if we have a look at what's coming up, hopefully the Tonga v PNG game will get a good crowd tomorrow, I'm very much looking forward to that. I'm hopeful Leigh will do us proud on Weds too for Cooks v Wales. It should look bustling even if only 6k at least. 

And then England at the weekend should look good, after last Sat I'd like to think it can sellout now. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

To put a positive hat on for a moment, if we have a look at what's coming up, hopefully the Tonga v PNG game will get a good crowd tomorrow, I'm very much looking forward to that. I'm hopeful Leigh will do us proud on Weds too for Cooks v Wales. It should look bustling even if only 6k at least. 

And then England at the weekend should look good, after last Sat I'd like to think it can sellout now. 

England games will clearly be a driver. An England final and the tournament will have done well on that alone. That the potential for 200k plus tickets just for England's remaining games.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'll be up on Tuesday staying over in Warrington and getting a cab to St Helens as there are no trains back to London after 9. Hopefully the locals can make the short trip. 

Just now, Dave T said:

Only the more pricey tickets left at Bolton now. It won’t be far off full, I reckon.

Tonight’s game looks like a poor crowd at Doncaster, but I think it could be a good game. 

Newcastle crowd was fine yesterday and they made plenty of noise at the other two.

Hindsight will, I am sure, be telling organisers they got some pricing wrong - and in some cases, considerably more wrong - but I’m just trying to enjoy the rugby from here. 

• Like 3

Just now, Leonard said:

England games will clearly be a driver. An England final and the tournament will have done well on that alone. That the potential for 200k plus tickets just for England's remaining games.

In reality, in 2013 the marquee games generally did well, and other games were in small grounds that looked bustling. NZ is the big fail so far, and Leeds was a bad choice for Jamaica v Ireland, too big. 

Scotland v Italy did OK in reality 6k at Newcastle was respectable imo. 

Hopefully Wire and Leess will do better in follow up games. 

I'll be up on Tuesday staying over in Warrington and getting a cab to St Helens as there are no trains back to London after 9. Hopefully the locals can make the short trip. 

I do think Tonga v PNG in St Helens should do well, there are probably around 8 to 10k tickets at £25, which I personally think is reasonable for what I'd class as a grade A game. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Can you do that at Leigh ?

Buy on the day? Yes. Ticket office will be open from 9am until half an hour after kick off. As will the online sales, so you can simply buy in the pub, have an extra pint and go straight to the turnstiles. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think having too many games in the same stadiums isn’t going to help. And especially two in consecutive nights like ar headingley.

I have chosen one game to go to at my team’s stadium I suspect that will be the same for a lot of fans.

I do think we might see an ok crowd for NZ v Ireland as i know a few rhinos fans have chosen that game to go to

• Like 4