RLWC Negativity Thread

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Erm. Ridicule, where?

You can’t have positivity without there being negativity too, chief. You do understand that, don’t you?

Don’t you?

Whoooooosh!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

No clue what you are talking about here but let's simplify it: it's a thread called RLWC negativity.

If you don't want to hear people specifically making critical or negative comments, it's best to keep out. It's literally that simple. 

If someone is making negative comments on the positive thread, by all means pull them up about it. But this is not that place. So....

That means keeping out of more or less ALL threads supposed to be about individual World Cup games.

Edited by JohnM

I didn't write this to be negative but it didn't quite fit the positivity one.

I compared the three RL comps through the first three rounds to see what the winning side's ratio of points was compared to the losing side. 

Men's : 71 / 29, Wheelchair : 80 / 20, Women's 89 / 11.

I assume the lesser depth in the Wheelchair and Women's games caused them to have wider margins. 

As for points per game:

Men's : 59, Wheelchair : 102, Women's 54.

Average scores per game:

Men's : 42-17, Wheelchair : 82-20, Women's 48-6. 

France and England are so far ahead of the rest in the Wheelchair version has created that disparity. The Women's tournament has had losing sides unable to post many points. The Men's section has appeared to be one sided but not as bad as it may have felt at times. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

I didn't write this to be negative but it didn't quite fit the positivity one.

I compared the three RL comps through the first three rounds to see what the winning side's ratio of points was compared to the losing side. 

Men's : 71 / 29, Wheelchair : 80 / 20, Women's 89 / 11.

I assume the lesser depth in the Wheelchair and Women's games caused them to have wider margins. 

As for points per game:

Men's : 59, Wheelchair : 102, Women's 54.

Average scores per game:

Men's : 42-17, Wheelchair : 82-20, Women's 48-6. 

France and England are so far ahead of the rest in the Wheelchair version has created that disparity. The Women's tournament has had losing sides unable to post many points. The Men's section has appeared to be one sided but not as bad as it may have felt at times. 

And yet the women's and wheelchair tournaments are successes.

Sometimes it seems it's about more than the scoreline.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 11/11/2022 at 06:21, gingerjon said:

And yet the women's and wheelchair tournaments are successes.

Sometimes it seems it's about more than the scoreline.

We shouldn't ignore development on the field to try and make stronger comps, but the sooner everyone realises that the actual sport is just a relatively modest part of the actual event the better all round. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am conscious that I have broadly been buying the cheap seats for games, but I dont think I've been able to clearly hear a sound system at any ground. I expected better at a ground like Arsenal. 

I thought the same at Elland Road (never had that issue there before).

The others I've been to this world cup have been fine (Sheffield extremely loud at times).

Those who were demanding more calls from officials on last night`s match thread should keep in mind that at the end of that road lies Gerard Sutton.

No game flows when he has the whistle. He`s more suited to being an NFL official where everything stops after each play.

Nothing worse than hearing him set the defence for a slow-motion handover - "Markers square, hold, wait, hold, wait, go one". Hope he doesn`t get the final. For the good of the game as a spectacle.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

There was the Maori team in the 2000WC though.....

The Australian indigenous squad looks very strong. Field and French qualify. 

The NZ side would be very weak if all the Maori players played for their indigenous team. 

8 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

One from Australia…

… some want an indigenous team in the next WC. 

🤮🤮🤮

Personally, I'm against it.

But we had a go round on this a long, long time ago and the arguments put forward by those genuinely in favour - as opposed to pot stirrers - are stronger than you'd think.

I don't think it works for international RL though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

The world’s biggest sport have a significant number of heritage players in some of their teams:

Even superpowers like France and Spain. 

I must admit, a little like a few of his posts, I didn't follow where he was going with this.