1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga by 13 points or more
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/10/22 at 19:00

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I thought on the last angle he looked at, the ball looked like it had touched the line.

As I say though, it wasn't conclusive and if it had been sent up as a try it would probably have been given.

My point is that it was not an easy one for the officials.  I certainly thought he was out on the live call and so I would have sent it up no try and then there just wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn it.

But what about the dead set shoulder charge?

Defender tucked the arm and rotated his torso which is the very epitome of a shoulder charge, totally ignored by the VR

• Like 2

IMO the disallowed try i dont think it was a shocker or a robbery . The no try call was decisive with the footage he had to work with . Maybe it was a try maybe it wasnt but imo he couldnt be 100% sure to overturn that call . And I thought there was nothing wrong with the cover tackle either so debatable but no more than that 

Just now, OMEGA said:

But what about the dead set shoulder charge?

Defender tucked the arm and rotated his torso which is the very epitome of a shoulder charge, totally ignored by the VR

I disagree.  I think the shot behind the line showed that the defender made contact with his chest first.  I didn't think it was a shoulder charge.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

By and large the game was very well officiated by the Ref and the linesmen but that VR decision was bloody awful!

Not only was it a try but the shoulder charge was the only thing that stopped it being an easy put down. It’s either an 8 point Try due to a foul in the act of scoring  or a penalty try and probably a yellow card for the shoulder charge.

Great game though and superb from the PNG team who had 3 try’s disallowed and conceded two wonder try’s 

Bang on and also after how many times did he look at it, very poor!

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

imo he couldnt be 100% sure to overturn that call . 

As I wrote earlier, I was 100% sure, BUT, clearly the opinion isn't unanimous and if Thaler was one of what I suspect was a minority to agree with you, he's going to give no try. It can't be decided by a vote so what's done is done and time to move on (though I wonder if I'd be so relaxed if it was England in an important game 🤣).

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought on the last angle he looked at, the ball looked like it had touched the line.

As I say though, it wasn't conclusive and if it had been sent up as a try it would probably have been given.

My point is that it was not an easy one for the officials.  I certainly thought he was out on the live call and so I would have sent it up no try and then there just wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn it.

fair enough but as you say on the live call it looked like no try but it also looked like a shoulder charge.

For other decisions the ref backed himself unless he wasn't sure... he gave the first no try up as a try but was proved wrong with the vid ref overruling. On the 2nd he wasn't sure so he went up, maybe because he wondered about the tackle, either way he wasn't sure but this time chose to send it up as a no try.

For me it was a try, especially if one takes the talking point about a curved ball - taken that consideration it was more clearly a try.

Although I was amused by the curved ball discussion.

Enjoyed the game.

1 minute ago, UTK said:

So England are likely going to have to play both these teams on the way to a final v NZ/AUS. 

Not sure how anyone can say England has anything but the toughest side of the draw.

Can see where you're coming from but I'm more confident of making the final than if we'd had to play Aus or NZ along the way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UTK said:

So England are likely going to have to play both these teams on the way to a final v NZ/AUS. 

Not sure how anyone can say England has anything but the toughest side of the draw.

I’ve said all along in my sage and onion like wisdom England will get to the Final . Tough but tougher for teams facing us 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

(though I wonder if I'd be so relaxed if it was England in an important game 🤣).

If it was England v Australia, he'd have disallowed it.

British officials always bend over backwards to favour the Aussies. French officials never did: that's why we don't have them any more.  Aussie officials always look after their own.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

IMO the disallowed try i dont think it was a shocker or a robbery . The no try call was decisive with the footage he had to work with . Maybe it was a try maybe it wasnt but imo he couldnt be 100% sure to overturn that call . And I thought there was nothing wrong with the cover tackle either so debatable but no more than that 

At full speed I thought no try but on Vr straight try, poor decision IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

If it was England v Australia, he'd have disallowed it.

British officials always bend over backwards to favour the Aussies. French officials never did: that's why don't have them any more.  Aussie officials always look after their own.

True 

No coach seems to really know what to do with Fifita . I was amazed he came on in the second half . Holbrook can’t consistently unlock him … Or its him . Either way its a bit of a mystery as he’s phenomenally super talented 

Just now, DavidM said:

No coach seems to really know what to do with Fifita . I was amazed he came on in the second half . Holbrook can’t consistently unlock him … Or its him . Either way its a bit of a mystery as he’s phenomenally super talented 

It's quite incredible.  In such a physical game, I can't actually remember the Kumuls actually tackling him to the ground, he was held up or offloaded almost every tackle.

I believe he should have been on sooner and Tonga need to use him better.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Can see where you're coming from but I'm more confident of making the final than if we'd had to play Aus or NZ along the way.

Fair, but they have to run through two high-quality and extremely physical teams in successive matches in the leadup to the final. Whereas AUS will likely have Ireland/Lebanon and NZ an understrength Fiji in the Quarters.

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s an impact player & a bit of a flat track bully,who can pull off an amazing run & then disappears for 20 mins,the trouble is he’s on ridiculous money so the Titans expect him to play big minutes to justify those wages.

• Like 2