1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga by 13 points or more
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/10/22 at 19:00

I, my wife, my Arsenal fan mate down south, the commentators, almost all posters on here thought it was a try.  One of several decisions (2 x tries from forward passes owing to a warping of the St Helens space-time continuum) that in my view went against PNG.

However, it's not a democracy, it's a dictatorship of skilled, trained, experienced, responsible and monitored match officials and I have to respect their right to make mistakes. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Really disappointing for PNG. I thought the Tai ‘no try’ was a try, but was always going to be hard to overturn when the ref sent it up as ‘no try’.

that being said, had Tai stepped rather than ran straight he would have likely scored, he also had a player inside him, and of course the other winger bombing another try with a foot in touch.

PNG should have won.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 5

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

13 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Does anyone know why England vs Australia kept popping up with Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook scoring a double in the 88th minute, FOR BOTH TEAMS.  Leaked World Cup final ?

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

Would be a huge plot twist

One thing is for sure, the post-match interview would be NSFW.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Would usually want PNG to win, but i don't fancy Tonga in the QF and then possibly Samoa again in the Semi.

For that reason alone, Tonga by a try in an absolute brutal affair.

Well called, Matt!

10 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'm thinking/hoping this will be closer than what many may have thought pre tournament. Tonga still to win but maybe only by 6-12 points. I'll go 28-18. 

All that said, should really give up score predictions after my woeful England v Samoa shout.

Well called, Green&Gold!

Best 80 mins so far of the comp. I was really hoping for the Kumuls here.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Not sure how that came across on TV but live that was a terrific game. Both teams deserved a full stadium. Great effort from both sides.

Agree, I was there and it was a great atmosphere and an enthralling game.

• Like 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

21 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He’s an impact player & a bit of a flat track bully,who can pull off an amazing run & then disappears for 20 mins,the trouble is he’s on ridiculous money so the Titans expect him to play big minutes to justify those wages.

Why do you keep saying this when the evidence shows that he is one of the hardest working second rows in the competition?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Referee decisions aside, It was an incredible game, easily the best so far. Incredibly tense and some crazy moments and an all round great display of rugby. Game tommorow should be a belter too and I can’t wait. I’m changing my prediction to Wales, not the stronger side on paper but I saw how important the pitch was today, Koula dropped the ball because of it and other things happend that the players were not used too. I think wales will have a huge advantage and will come a way with it in a very close one.

Both sides deserve respect and put on a great spectacle, but there's no reason England should be terrified of either. Tonga didn't appear to have a lot of pace and Lolohea was the one creative outlet.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Great game and maybe PNG were a little hard done to on the VR decision but it didn’t cost them the game. They had three great chances to score in the first half and blew them that’s what cost them. Both these teams should get out the group though. 

• Like 2

Great game. Brilliant support from PNG and Tongans. Flags, drums, Hama, traditional dress- superb 

Great stuff afterwards.  All players from both teams group prayer then spent ages with the fans getting selfies.  

well done to both teams. 

only criticism is that buying tickets put me on the front row not the best available. Also given website recently said low availability where was everyone.  

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Why do you keep saying this when the evidence shows that he is one of the hardest working second rows in the competition?

You maybe need to take your head out of that stat book of yours & actually watch some games,if he was that hard working he’d be playing origin,the Titans wouldn’t be making noises about offloading him & he wouldn’t have spent 60 mins on the exercise bike tonight.

• Thanks 1

When i got home from work i was bushed and i was thinking of giving it a miss and watch it at home. But with persuading a couple of people to go the match i thought “it’ll look well if i stay at home”.

I am glad i went now because it was a cracking game and night. I got onto the ground at about 6.55pm and i met up with my mates, and at first it was all negative because we thought it’d be another poorly attended match. But a couple of mins before KO fans started streaming into the West Stand RL style, i said to a mate “they must have the same people going through one exit and out another and back in again to make it look like it’s really busy.

But i was talking to a Salford fan at HT and he said “the East Lancs was closed and it took ages to get to Saints”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Josef K said:

When i got home from work i was bushed and i was thinking of giving it a miss and watch it at home. But with persuading a couple of people to go the match i thought “it’ll look well if i stay at home”.

I am glad i went now because it was a cracking game and night. I got onto the ground at about 6.55pm and i met up with my mates, and at first it was all negative because we thought it’d be another poorly attended match. But a couple of mins before KO fans started streaming into the West Stand RL style, i said to a mate “they must have the same people going through one exit and out another and back in again to make it look like it’s really busy.

But i was talking to a Salford fan at HT and he said “the East Lancs was closed and it took ages to get to Saints”. 

East Lancs wasn’t shut but was very busy for a section near Leigh. Usually takes 25-30 minutes to get through if you get stuck (luckily I’d checked the SatNav so went through Lowton and completely dodged it)

Really enjoyable game. Really thought PNG were hard done to, but from an England point of view there’s nothing to fear from either of them in a potential QF (think I’ve got that right?) as long as the focus is on playing around them rather than getting drawn in to a battle.

Was surprised Ipape got MOM but with Leigh bias I won’t complain - would have been the PNG no 6 for me.

Very enjoyable evening. Hope it kicks on from here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You maybe need to take your head out of that stat book of yours & actually watch some games,if he was that hard working he’d be playing origin,the Titans wouldn’t be making noises about offloading him & he wouldn’t have spent 60 mins on the exercise bike tonight.

If Fifita was on 5-600k he would be considered one of the best edge backrowers in the comp, due to his insane contract which is no fault of his own everyone is all over him to justify that insane contract which is simply impossible to do as an edge forward. The Titans have bottled their cap and Holbrook's tenure has been particularly poor with his handling of Fifita among his biggest failures. 

Kaufusi shouldn't get near this Tongan side but it appears Woolf might be looking after his future Dolphins recruits, he was dire all night but didn't get hooked. Olakau'atu and Koloamatangi are also among the best edges in the NRL with Fifita more suited to bench role due to his ability to impact tired defenders so I don't have a problem with him sitting on the bench for a while.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, UTK said:

If Fifita was on 5-600k he would be considered one of the best edge backrowers in the comp, due to his insane contract which is no fault of his own everyone is all over him to justify that insane contract which is simply impossible to do as an edge forward. The Titans have bottled their cap and Holbrook's tenure has been particularly poor with his handling of Fifita among his biggest failures. 

Kaufusi shouldn't get near this Tongan side but it appears Woolf might be looking after his future Dolphins recruits, he was dire all night but didn't get hooked. Olakau'atu and Koloamatangi are also among the best edges in the NRL with Fifita more suited to bench role due to his ability to impact tired defenders so I don't have a problem with him sitting on the bench for a while.

Yeah,of course Holbrook,Woolf & Slater are at fault for not getting the best or not selecting Fifita

Sitting on the bench for a while is one thing - I don't mind an explosive player like that doing stints in a match, especially towards the end of each half.

But sitting out a whole uninterrupted hour when Tonga weren't exactly strolling a RWC match is another kettle of fish. Maybe Woolf knows something, like Fifita carrying a minor, manageable injury.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A great night. I expected a good game heading over to St Helen’s tonight but it was better than good. The PNG team in particular were great to watch. The atmosphere was good and the Tongan fans really are something special. It deserved a bigger crowd really but it was ok. 

• Like 5

Just got in - great game and the fact that there was a throng of Tonga fans plus groups of PNG fans really captured that essence of being at an international event for me.

The atmosphere in the second really took off and the action on the field was gripping as PNG almost completed an historic comeback.

RLWC 2022 just delivered for me superbly, can’t wait for Saturday now and to see England at Bolton.

• Like 3