1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga by 13 points or more
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/10/22 at 19:00

5 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Not really.

PNG are way better then the Cook Islands and Australia are far better than England.

If PNG can put some real wingers on their wings then it’s a whole new ball game. I’m not say that the kumuls will beat England but it’ll be far closer than some are thinking.

Xavier Coates who played Origin this year will be great inclusion for PNG

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Not really.

PNG are way better then the Cook Islands and Australia are far better than England.

If PNG can put some real wingers on their wings then it’s a whole new ball game. I’m not say that the kumuls will beat England but it’ll be far closer than some are thinking.

Obviously I know PNG are much better than the Kuki’s, but I personally think to beat England at home in World Cup quater final at Wigan is all but impossible. There’s practically no chance they do it, and I love PNG there my favourite team but just being honest.

By the way, PNG have great wingers, but the 3 first choice winger Coates, Gebbie and Ngutlik were all injured this morning.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I love PNG but the chance of that happening at home is similar to the Cook Islands chances of beating Australia.

It really isn’t,if they repeat last nights level of performance they’ll give us plenty of problems in a knockout game.

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

East Lancs wasn’t shut but was very busy for a section near Leigh. Usually takes 25-30 minutes to get through if you get stuck (luckily I’d checked the SatNav so went through Lowton and completely dodged it)

Really enjoyable game. Really thought PNG were hard done to, but from an England point of view there’s nothing to fear from either of them in a potential QF (think I’ve got that right?) as long as the focus is on playing around them rather than getting drawn in to a battle.

Was surprised Ipape got MOM but with Leigh bias I won’t complain - would have been the PNG no 6 for me.

Very enjoyable evening. Hope it kicks on from here. 

Laybutt always seems to play well whenever I watch PNG.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Hits like a brick… very impressive!

He was outstanding against Fiji earlier this year & carried that on last night,really surprising he doesn’t play his club rugby at a higher level.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

You maybe need to take your head out of that stat book of yours & actually watch some games,if he was that hard working he’d be playing origin,the Titans wouldn’t be making noises about offloading him & he wouldn’t have spent 60 mins on the exercise bike tonight.

I'm just not keen on arguments that are made up.  You said he disappears for 20 minutes in a game and it simply isn't true.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Yes, that game should have been on BBC1 or 2.

Hidden 5 or 6 pages down the TV listings means that casual watchers are less likely to see it's on.

Watched it with my dad last night (I think I'm gradually converting him to league; he loved last night) and I was worried for a second when we turned on at 7.20 and saw no coverage on the main channels.

8 hours ago, Josef K said:

What i really enjoyed about tonight wasn’t just the first class RL, but also the atmosphere as well. The kids getting behind PNG & Tonga did so right until the end and was brilliant. It was also great to see the diversity of the crowd which was really heartwarming.
Another positive for me was there was no vile or abusive language and know one plastered”.
Like i said in my last post i was talking to a Salford fan and i saw a few of them, but i also saw “Wire, Leeds, Wakey fans, and loads of Leigh supporters. I am going the game next Monday and i hope it’s the same again. 
Another positive for myself was the 7.30pm KO, as i was home for 9.45pm. The match nearly kicked off on time which would’ve been a first for years & years at a RL game. 
I don’t know who the ref was but i thought he was excellent, there was hardly any stoppages and he let the game flow. 
The only small negative of the night was the scoreboard wasn’t working which meant most fans didn’t know how long was left or even the score. That was my only gripe. 

The score and remaining time was all on the big screen, but personally I’d have had them displayed on the scoreboard and the usual clock too. Seems to have been a bit of a mix on that front as Warrington used the scoreboard on the South Stand as normal but the countdown clock on the West Stand was only in use for the first 10 minutes and then reverted back to 40:00 and you just had to screw your eyes up to read it on the screen.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The score and remaining time was all on the big screen, but personally I’d have had them displayed on the scoreboard and the usual clock too. Seems to have been a bit of a mix on that front as Warrington used the scoreboard on the South Stand as normal but the countdown clock on the West Stand was only in use for the first 10 minutes and then reverted back to 40:00 and you just had to screw your eyes up to read it on the screen.  

From the West Terrace you'd have needed binoculars to see the time on that screen. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

wonder whether anyone else thought there might have been a suggestion of a knock-on when Tonga passed back for the DG

I gave the video ref a wrap the other day for their no-nonsense reviews and quick decision making, (the stuff up with the no-try almost made me eat my words) but I was even going to post in the RLWC Positivity thread today to compliment the ref`s in general as well. Their play-on calls after borderline forward passes and knock-ons has been an absolute highlight for me and I think is contributing no end to the entertaining League we are seeing.

Mate the last thing we need is NRL style nit-picking looking for real or imagined forward passes and knock-ons, let the game flow, it will all even itself up in the wash-up.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Stood at the other end, I couldn't see the score or time. Poor fan engagement stuff again. It was only when the announcer told us the time and score that I knew. He did a good job to be fair. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I gave the video ref a wrap the other day for their no-nonsense reviews and quick decision making, (the stuff up with the no-try almost made me eat my words) but I was even going to post in the RLWC Positivity thread today to compliment the ref`s in general as well. Their play-on calls after borderline forward passes and knock-ons has been an absolute highlight for me and I think is contributing no end to the entertaining League we are seeing.

Mate the last thing we need is NRL style nit-picking looking for real or imagined forward passes and knock-ons, let the game flow, it will all even itself up in the wash-up.

I thought the game flowed really well last night. I've enjoyed the lack of nitpicking. 

One thing that worked well was the Captains Challenge. Tonga were incorrectly given the ball 30/40m out, the challenge was won by PNG and within two sets they had scored. That could have been a 12pts turnaround. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I thought the game flowed really well last night. I've enjoyed the lack of nitpicking. 

One thing that worked well was the Captains Challenge. Tonga were incorrectly given the ball 30/40m out, the challenge was won by PNG and within two sets they had scored. That could have been a 12pts turnaround. 

Yeah I don`t know what`s going on over there but some of the Aussie ref`s are unrecognisable. Lachlan Lam`s try last night came from what was a blatant forward pass, but not a word, and no-one cares.

I suspect there`s some sort of agreement in the ref`s ranks to help make this a great tournament, at least on the field. I even get the feeling watching the games that the under dogs are getting the rub of the green with some calls as well. And the whole point is no-one cares, we are just seeing good open entertaining League and that`s what everyone wants.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Great game and any expansive Team to be fair would put plenty of points on both teams.

Good signs for Leigh with Lam and Ipape prominent and now onto tomorrow. Lets hope it stays dry because the LSV will be a carpet to play on.

The game need to 'Bin' the referee call of try / no try and just leave it to the Video ref. It was a try, but Tonga really poor on the Edges.

Great World Cup so far.

I was thinking that with the ref having the 2 calls either the 'T' or the 'X' crossarms, why not add a third that the ref can use if he/she is not 100% sure - which I think is the case on numerous occasions - of holdings his arms upright and giving the onus to the video ref.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah I don`t know what`s going on over there but some of the Aussie ref`s are unrecognisable. Lachlan Lam`s try last night came from what was a blatant forward pass, but not a word, and no-one cares.

I suspect there`s some sort of agreement in the ref`s ranks to help make this a great tournament, at least on the field. I even get the feeling watching the games that the under dogs are getting the rub of the green with some calls as well. And the whole point is no-one cares, we are just seeing good open entertaining League and that`s what everyone wants.

It does make such a difference- to me at least. I remember preferring the SH Refs rather than SL Refs in the last WC, simply due to being entertained by the game rather than irritated by halting choredom. (OK, 'choredom' isn't a word I suspect but...er....)

• Haha 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.