1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga by 13 points or more
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/10/22 at 19:00

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

One arm was wrapped but the other one was down and shoulder made contact.

It would have been a penalty try and a yellow card in rugby union.

It would been a red card in football and probably a life time ban in snooker.

It was a robust challenge and fine.

• Haha 4

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Just now, StandOffHalf said:

It wasn't though. His use of the shoulder denied the try.

A shoulder charge is not just defined as use of the shoulder, it is leading with the shoulder.  Many many tackles use the shoulder and perfectly legitimate.

It is clear as day when you freeze the picture from the behind the try line that the Tongan player made initial contact with his chest and so wasn't executing a shoulder charge.

I can't post an image but if you freeze this video at 3.02 you can see.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/10/19/match-highlights-mate-maa-tonga-v-papua-new-guinea/

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A shoulder charge is not just defined as use of the shoulder, it is leading with the shoulder.  Many many tackles use the shoulder and perfectly legitimate.

It is clear as day when you freeze the picture from the behind the try line that the Tongan player made initial contact with his chest and so wasn't executing a shoulder charge.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/10/19/match-highlights-mate-maa-tonga-v-papua-new-guinea/

His right arm was dropped though. The PNG guy would have knocked the stuffing out of him. Lai burrowed and his left side went right into Koula's chest. Koula was actually the one who came off worse, but the shoulder into Lai's side did bump him, and end up in the try not being scored/awarded.

Koula was putting his body on the line with a great effort. Still, I do think it has to be a penalty for turning his right shoulder to bump the winger. The shoulder wasn't to the head, so no dramas there. Penalty or penalty try and he stays on the field IMO.

That's just my take though. The wrap with the left arm was fine and was what the refs saw in signing off on the contact. Fair play to him for his last-ditch effort and getting the rub of the green.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is broadly of contact. 

Screenshot_20221019_161637_com.google.android.youtube_copy_1170x540.jpg.33611d12fe8ab4129d78b09a1482ccde.jpg

Live, I must admit I thought it was shoulder, but we can see it's not as clear as that, and he has wrapped one arm and made robust contact with the chest. 

On the replays I thought it was OK. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Screenshot_20221019_161637_com.google.android.youtube_copy_1170x540.jpg.33611d12fe8ab4129d78b09a1482ccde.jpg

Live, I must admit I thought it was shoulder, but we can see it's not as clear as that, and he has wrapped one arm and made robust contact with the chest. 

Yes, that's the one.  Thanks for posting.

I think it is very harsh to call that a deliberate shoulder charge.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, that's the one.  Thanks for posting.

I think it is very harsh to call that a deliberate shoulder charge.

I do think he tucked the arm and initial contact was shoulder, but literally a fraction of a second later his whole upper body is hitting him with his other arm wrapped. I think that is enough to make it fine. 

As I say, live, I thought it was a penalty try. 

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Not nearly as bad as it looked live, that is true.

Almost a case of the PNG getting beyond him into the in-goal and it becoming a case of shoulder on shoulder contact. The one part that makes me pretty adamant that should have been at least a penalty was the fact that he did turn his right shoulder - and that contact was instrumental in denying the put-down.

IHqxgCG.png (1920×1080) (imgur.com)

Edited by StandOffHalf