1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga by 13 points or more
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/10/22 at 19:00

Expecting a Tongan win. However, there's plenty of pace in the most recent Kumul selections, like Ipape, Coates and Johnston. Then there's Justin Olam, one of the NRL's most irrepressible centres and more, like Lachlan Lam, Nene MacDonald and of course Kyle Laybutt, who always raises his game in a Kumul shirt.

Plus their tackling will leave a few Tongans wincing when they get out of bed on Wednesday morning.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

I'd have got tickets for this one if I wasn't at Rochdale v Salford in the EFL Trophy. Must need my head testing.😂 Should be a great game though and looking forward to both teams smashing 10 bells out of each other.👍 

#BTeamBoycott means I’ll be at Saints rather than Bolton v Leeds U21s 👍 

Absolutely buzzing for this one, I must say. Can’t wait to see the Leigh contingent tested at such a high level. 

• Like 2

Like a lot of you here, this is my most anticipated game of the round. In fact, probably more anticipated then anything next round too. I love the Kumuls, so fingers crossed they put it together for a win against their more fancied opponent. Whereas Tonga made a very sudden impact on the international stage, PNG have made plenty of strides over a longer period of time. They shouldn't be slept on imo. Would love to see them win a World Cup in my lifetime.

7 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Can't believe PNG have 26 start for this !     

I expect Tonga to win but it will be a big hit fest !!  Tonga by 12 with a few tries scored by the Kumuls.

Evens for PNG +26 but I prefer them at +22 @ 5/4. 

14 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

42-6 hahahaha

I think it'll start close, Tonga will have a couple of score lead going into half time, then come the 60 minute mark the Kumuls will fade and the points will pile on. That's what's been happening in lots of games so far this WC.

We'll see. Bet you didn't predict 60-6 did you?

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC
Mistype
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Expecting a Tongan win. However, there's plenty of pace in the most recent Kumul selections, like Ipape, Coates and Johnston. Then there's Justin Olam, one of the NRL's most irrepressible centres and more, like Lachlan Lam, Nene MacDonald and of course Kyle Laybutt, who always raises his game in a Kumul shirt.

Plus their tackling will leave a few Tongans wincing when they get out of bed on Wednesday morning.

I have only ever seen Kyle Laybutt in a PNG shirt, and yes he has impressed in every game, I believe you are correct in that PNG have the pace to give Tonga the run about, now they only have to have the game plan to make it work. I wonder if PNG will keep Ipape on the bench as Mr Lam as done for Leigh introducing him when the opposition forwards tire, but that said I am really interested as a Leigh fan to see how he goes, the Tongan team are a big step up from the Championship opposition he has been facing, but I expect him to go OK, this is a big game and so much interest for Leigh fan's with both Nene and Lachy Lam also playing, I will be a Papuan fan for sure tonight.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think it'll start close, Tonga will have a could of score lead going into half time, then come the 60 minute mark the Kumuls will fade and the points will pile on. That's what's been happening in lots of games so far this WC.

We'll see. Bet you didn't predict 60-6 did you?

If anything the opposite would happen PNG don’t get tired and will fight till the end. If there’s ever a team that don’t fall off at the back ends of games it’s the Kumuls.

I think the only person on earth who predicted 60-6 (if anyone did) would be a rugby union fan who expected a similar score to ENG-SAM in union, but they probably would have guessed 60-5.

Edited by SydneyRoosters

Personally, I think we will see a big statement from Tonga in this one.

They have comfortably the best squad from the PI nations and in Kristian Woolf they have a coach who is the polar opposite of Matt Parish - he will have them ready and focussed.

I love the way PNG play but Tonga will have too much size and power across the board and I expect a comfortable win in the end.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

They have comfortably the best squad from the PI nations and in Kristian Woolf they have a coach who is the polar opposite of Matt Parish - he will have them ready and focussed.

I love the way PNG play but Tonga will have too much size and power across the board and I expect a comfortable win in the end.

Yes. They've also had a warm up game and three extra days prep compared to Samoa, they'll hit the ground running I imagine.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

58 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have only ever seen Kyle Laybutt in a PNG shirt, and yes he has impressed in every game, I believe you are correct in that PNG have the pace to give Tonga the run about, now they only have to have the game plan to make it work. I wonder if PNG will keep Ipape on the bench as Mr Lam as done for Leigh introducing him when the opposition forwards tire, but that said I am really interested as a Leigh fan to see how he goes, the Tongan team are a big step up from the Championship opposition he has been facing, but I expect him to go OK, this is a big game and so much interest for Leigh fan's with both Nene and Lachy Lam also playing, I will be a Papuan fan for sure tonight.

Laybutt is Class I’ve watched him a view times this for Townsville and he’s been really good, he’s incredibly versatile and has even played several games at Prop for the Blackhawks this year, really interesting player. Ipape is their only good hooker as Puara was injured in PM XIII game and Liam Horne was completely snubbed from selection. I can’t see anything other than Ipape MOTM he’s first game for PNG for a long while, off the back of an incredible season I back him for a double and a few line breaks I think he’s the main threat for PNG against a side like Tonga. There middles will get tired late on as Tonga and Samoan sides usually do and Ipape will pounce,  one quick play the ball and it’s all over for Tonga.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Laybutt is Class I’ve watched him a view times this for Townsville and he’s been really good, he’s incredibly versatile and has even played several games at Prop for the Blackhawks this year, really interesting player. Ipape is their only good hooker as Puara was injured in PM XIII game and Liam Horne was completely snubbed from selection. I can’t see anything other than Ipape MOTM he’s first game for PNG for a long while, off the back of an incredible season I back him for a double and a few line breaks I think he’s the main threat for PNG against a side like Tonga. There middles will get tired late on as Tonga and Samoan sides usually do and Ipape will pounce,  one quick play the ball and it’s all over for Tonga.

Hopefully!

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Not counting for the Kumuls being smaller in size but sculptured out of granite, and across the park probably more fleeter of foot than Tonga, if PNG can keep Tui Lolohea in check they can go a long way to winning this, he says hopefully.

• Like 1