1. 1. Who will win?

• Wales by 13 points or more
    • Wales by 7 to 12 points
    • Wales by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points
    • Cook Islands by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/22 at 19:00

3 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

My NZ mate (he lived in Wigan 1988-90) knows Tony from way back then and has always said Eye Ro, not Eee Ro. 

He's back here for the QF so we will discuss.

We will of course enjoy the game too🤣

Is your mate a Pākehā ?

It may be a European versus Traditional pronunciation.

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

A really enjoyable contest which could well have been a draw but that shouldn't overshadow how well they played. I can't say that I was that impressed with the Cook Islands in possession though. It didn't look to me like anyone was taking charge and organising.

Right I'm not long back from the game and I'm glad I'm not the only one who was unimpressed by the Cook Islands. I'll go as far as to say I thought they were sheeite! Wales to a man were smaller, slower, less skilful but their attitude and pride in the jersey was magnificent and they deserve all the plaudits.👏 A very plucky display that deserved more and just a shame Aekins made such a horlicks of that last play chance.

CI were very poor though I thought and whilst I can't say I know a huge amount about their team (apart from the SL based players) none of them got me off my seat and excited me. Maybe I was watching another game but Ford getting MoM was a farce. Totally one-dimensional with ball-in-hand and a bang average kicking game. Based on tonight he'd have done sweet FA for Toulouse last season in SL.

Tonga & PNG should beat them comfortably.

• Like 2

Just home from the game. Wales deserved a draw. Hicks seemed very one sided with the six again decisions. Ford was offside most of the night. Very proud of the effort all the Welsh lads put in.

I've been luck as I've been to the two Group D games and seen two cracking games. 

• Like 2

Just got back. Cook Islands were the better team and got far more yards per carry. However, they made a fair few handling mistakes and Wales couldn't capitalise on them.

Don't know if it was mentioned on the telly but there was a very strong wind and it was absolutely freezing.  Wales should have put up a few towering kicks for some freezing winger to catch in a swirling descent. Didn't happen.

I was very impressed with a couple of the players I'd not seen before ... Bailey Antrobus and Will Evans and thought the halfbacks gelled pretty well. Rhodri Lloyd was my Man of the Match

Can't agree with the wholesale praise for John Kear. Chester Butler was underused. Several times we could have fed our wingers for a one-on-one with space to work in; didn't happen. Once or twice, we had the chance to lamp the ball downfield in the wind for the threequarters to chase; a non-standard tactic, surprisingly successful on occasion and guaranteed to change the mindset of the opposition ... didn't happen. 5 minutes or so left, we needed two scores; still went for barging up the middle.

Summary:

All in all, a disappointing result but bags of effort and a fair bit of promise for the future.

• Like 7

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

8 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

game but Ford getting MoM was a farce.

To be fair S in his interview he said he thought he had a bad game and wasn't happy with his performance and MoM should have gone to someone else 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Probably wouldn't have said that but definitely would have thought it.

Nothing against the Cook Island players or staff though. They deserved the win in the end.

I think we should be celebrating the smaller nations that actually have homegrown players though.

But without heritage players representing a nation in a world cup how else do we kickstart homegrown players?

The 2 should work together to create interest and pride to be able to get the homegrown players.

And let's be right, Wales has a population of over 3 million, the Cook Islands around 17,000 do hardly a fair comment IMO.

Edited by meast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BringbackGB said:

I wasn't looking forward to this game, I seriously thought Wales were going to be slaughtered.  How wrong I was, what an absolutely magnificent performance from the boys. Once the Welsh players playing at a junior level feed through to the national team in a few years time Wales will be serious contenders for the original World Cup. Thank you John Kear you've done us proud.

Have Wales got some good juniors coming through?

What pro clubs are they attached to?

3 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Yes and Salford

Good to hear they've got some good juniors coming through.

I knew about the Salford link. Do any other SL clubs have any Welsh juniors on their books?

Will the Crusaders and Raiders benefit from this junior development?

Sorry to keep asking questions but I'm interested in the future of Welsh RL

7 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Good to hear they've got some good juniors coming through.

I knew about the Salford link. Do any other SL clubs have any Welsh juniors on their books?

Will the Crusaders and Raiders benefit from this junior development?

Sorry to keep asking questions but I'm interested in the future of Welsh RL

Hull FC and Warrington have two Welsh lads in their academies as well 

Edited by welshmagpie

1 hour ago, meast said:

But without heritage players representing a nation in a world cup how else do we kickstart homegrown players?

The 2 should work together to create interest and pride to be able to get the homegrown players.

And let's be right, Wales has a population of over 3 million, the Cook Islands around 17,000 do hardly a fair comment IMO.

There are about 17,600 Cook Is in the home nation. Over 80,000 live in NZ and a fair few in Australia. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

14 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Unbelievable, Wales had a 3 on 1, feel for Aekins.

Gelling man of the match imo.

would agree, Gelling seemed to be everywhere and taking on responsibility all the time. He was so much quicker than his fellow players and hence was always their or their about in the action.  The other Cook Island players seemed very flat footed.

Having said that I still think the Cook Island were the better team and far better in the 2nd half despite Wales gallant efforts and never give up attitude.  Cook Island made huge yards on almost every play in 2nd half but certainly lacked any attacking spark to capitalise.

3 hours ago, POR said:

To be fair S in his interview he said he thought he had a bad game and wasn't happy with his performance and MoM should have gone to someone else 

Hey it's not his fault but I'd love to know who picked it because they obviously weren't watching the match!😂

Wales obviously have a limited playing pool to choose from at the minute and, unlike the 80's/90's where RL managed to attract the top RU talent, all the cash these days is in Union.

Anyone know what the average Welsh player playing for the likes of the Ospreys/Dragons/Blues is likely to get paid these days? Do we think there's the possibility of a few "defectors" to League in light of all the financial club troubles in the English RU Premiership? If they're struggling financially I'd assume maybe the principality teams are also struggling? Maybe some of the junior talent might make the switch to League?

Unfortunately, the way things stand Wales have got no chance of progressing if their squad is mainly L1/semi-pro Aussie feeder league based.

Edited by SalfordSlim
Typo

Fantastic game, enjoyed every minute of it and gutted for the Welsh as they deserved at least a draw against a much better side on paper. Some outstanding performances, Welsh pack were probably a fair few kg`s a man down on their opposition but battle dwell.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, POR said:

Jonothan Davies and Brian Noble 🤣

Jonathan Davies was really building him up, but was talking about the Ford of 2 years ago. 

If he had watched the games this year on Premier Sports then he may not have been as effusive.

No criticism of Ford, everyone gets older.