Where Should the 2029 World Cup be held?

What's our thinking on this. Safe and steady. A left field choice?

Down Under Looks like the law of averages but do we have, just Australia, just NZ, PNG and NZ or all three together? 

Do the Pacific Islands have any Stadia to host games?

France is next but could France and Northern Spain be considered for a future bid after?

Any other suggestions?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

It will almost certainly be Australia but NZ would be a big statement. Would be good if a few games could be played in a couple of the Polynesian countries but I think logistically that would be hard and from what I can gather only Fiji at present would have anything like a suitable stadium to host a fixture like that. 

Edit: Following a short geography lesson I now realise NZ is part of Polynesia and Fiji isn't! Every day is an education

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 5

It would be nice if Australia could be kept out of it completely unless they can demonstrate they are actually interested in developing the international game. NZ + some PI games would be interesting.

• Like 5

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

New Zealand with hopefully games in places like Tonga , Samoa and PNG

I think the biggest stadia in Tonga and Samoa hold 10,000 and 12,000 respectively. So you could probably do it but you might need to find some good sponsorship to cover the travel costs and financial risk.

Otherwise I would also like to see a primarily NZ-based World Cup.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I totally get other's scepticism about North America but if enough of the folding stuff is guaranteed and in the WC bank account then I believe the benefits will outweigh the risks.

You've got to be in total denial to believe that France/Greece in Quebec wouldn't get more than 4k, or Ireland/Jamaica in Boston would be played in front of fewer than 6k.

The Yanks do like a show! 

But as I say, the $ need to be there beforehand.

• Like 4

Is there a possibility that it may bounce back to the UK by default?

• Australia - not interested
  • NZ - no money
  • Pacfiic Islands - no money or infrastructure 
  • USA- nobody credible available to take it on
  • France - host in 2025

I'm not sure there's going to be much of a queue, to be honest

• Like 2

I think we should be ok shared rights, but with one lead. Not unlike we have done in the past, but with slightly less reliance on England and Australia. 

NZ as the official hosts should give them the opener, and all the finals, but maybe a group in Oz and one in PNG to do some of the heavy lifting. 

I do wonder what the WC's will look like in future in terms of womens and wheelchair and whether this festival style tournament will continue, or whether we will move to standalone comps to reduce the burden, or keep them together because they drive benefits of investment.

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Is there a possibility that it may bounce back to the UK by default?

• Australia - not interested
  • NZ - no money
  • Pacfiic Islands - no money or infrastructure 
  • USA- nobody credible available to take it on
  • France - host in 2025

I'm not sure there's going to be much of a queue, to be honest

Qatar 🤣

Didn't South Africa bid for 2013 I think it was? I wonder if we'd see a wildcard bid from somewhere. 

A NZ World Cup after France would make sense. Could even have PNG host some again.

As great as it would be for a successful USA or Canada WC, it's too big a risk with nothing behind it. If we had a few Federation Cups going, they'd have been prime to take a risk at some point with that.

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Would love to see NZ plus PNG hosting their own group games. 

At the time NZ hosted the union cup in 2011, they publicly said it was likely the last time they'd ever host it as it would be too big in future. 

Whereas I think our tournament they could manage, and by putting it on it'll boost league there in a way hat union can't anymore. New Zealanders would love it.