Where Should the 2029 World Cup be held?

6 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

As likely defending champions, Jamaica should get first dibs.

I'm starting to think we should consider a Dutch bid.

By which I mean Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, and Sint Maarten.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

An NZ hosted World Cup is the best option in my opinion and highly likely. They’ve never gotten a World Cup by themselves and France will get one in 2025 so it’s NZ’s turn.

Games can go at:

Eden Park 52,000

Wellington Stadium 35,000

Mt Smart 30,000

Dunden 30,00

Yarrow Stadium 27,000

New Christchurch Stadium 26,000

Rotorua 26,000

Waikato 25,000

North Harbour Stadium 25,000

They have a fairly large abundance of good size stadiums.

My thoughts exactly.

Wheres the yarrow stadium?

3 hours ago, Tosh said:

Wasn’t the USA supposed to be hosting the 2021 World Cup?

No that was 2025, based on the US and Canada having world class stadiums "allied to a significant multicultural population which made the bid so persuasive" according to this report.

Jason Moore's Denver match was held to test the market but the NRL sandbagged it and put Moore's company under due to the loss they inflicted on it.

It would seem that Moore's bid wasn't backed by the sort of money which would be needed to make it a success.  What the snippet which @ATLANTISMANprovided further up in the thread is based on is anyone's guess.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I thought I read that NSW (alone) were wanting to host this one? Part of the intra Australian state rivalry

Spot on you are TG. The previous Labour NSW Government in 2018 or 19 proposed to host the entire 2029 tournament as sole hosts. 

This came as a part of the NSW Gov’t strategy to host 10 WC tournaments in 10 years 2020-30. This included part hosting some events but hosting the RLWC in entirety.

A surprising announcement following the 2017 RLWC where Sydney only hosted 2 pool fixtures. Sydney was ignored for not stumping up enough cash to host more fixtures. I understand the rational was that having committed to spend over $3b for primarily the benefit of RL, to rebuild the Olympic, Parramatta and Sydney Football Stadiums, the NSW Gov’t felt they had shown more than enough commitment to the sport to warrant fixtures.

I haven’t seen any recent press on the NSW 2029 bid. A change to a Liberal government and then cancelling the rebuild of the Olympic Stadium led to a public stoush between the Premier and Ned Flandys about whether those funds should be directed to suburban stadia or not doesn’t have me feeling like the current administration are all warm and fuzzy to solely hosting a RLWC.

Another election well before 2029 could see those plans come to the fore once more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Rugby union ground in New Plymouth, not much RL played there but would do a good job.

That’s a big stadium for a small city.

Good idea to mix the venues up between the big cities and obvious choices like Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch with cities/towns like rotorua, Palmerston North and New Plymouth etc.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There was a bid in 2021 and another in 2025.  The bid which was accepted was for 2025.

I note that in the report about the bid for 2021 Jason Moore claimed that the modest following the USARL clubs had built up equated to ""Rugby league already has a strong following in several major US markets".  It seems that he was really just another chancer.

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

Good idea to mix the venues up between the big cities and obvious choices like Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch with cities/towns like rotorua, Palmerston North and New Plymouth etc.

Dunedin, Invercargill too. 

Isn't RL meant to be big on the West Coast? Are there any good stadiums there?

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

There was a bid in 2021 and another in 2025.  The bid which was accepted was for 2025.

I note that in the report about the bid for 2021 Jason Moore claimed that the modest following the USARL clubs had built up equated to ""Rugby league already has a strong following in several major US markets".  It seems that he was really just another chancer.

If I remember, isn't the 2029 bid meant to be from new people and has nothing to do with 2025?

Just now, Big Picture said:

That's fair. I'd forgotten the embarrassment of the confirmed bit.

But it recurs. Again and again.

Fool me once, etc.

There's less rugby league in the states now than there has been for 20 years and somebody whispering in ears that our next confirmed World Cup will be there.

Nah. That's for the Chasing Roos selling merch crowd dreaming of imaginary big investors.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Dunedin, Invercargill too. 

Just to point out that the NZRU *lost* $32m when they hosted the World Cup. (Incidentally, the government were still pleased because of economic benefits etc but that was the impact on the governing body's bottom line.)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just to point out that the NZRU *lost* $32m when they hosted the World Cup. (Incidentally, the government were still pleased because of economic benefits etc but that was the impact on the governing body's bottom line.)

I wasn't calling for a NZ WC! Mostly because of money. 

12 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Yeah the new stadium in Christchurch looks really good, they could have the finals like the this.

Final - Eden Park

Semis- Eden Park, Wellington

Quarters- Mt Smart, Dunedin, Christchurch, Hamilton/Roturua

• Like 1

Just now, londonrlfan said:

I wasn't calling for a NZ WC! Mostly because of money. 

Sorry - was doing it in a rush and couldn't work out who to quote.

Being blunt, we absolutely need our World Cups to make cold, hard cash. We do not have the luxury yet of being able to put them on in places where the words potential feature or where it's an investment in some unspecified way for the future but no guaranteed money for us.

If that means, England and Australia with occasional full tournaments or games in France (and occasional games in NZ) then that's what it means.

Folk should stop daydreaming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Wingham Park in Greymouth is the ‘smallest test stadium in the world’ Kiwis v Lions 1954 4,000 sell out. 

RL is popular but the population is tiny. 

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sorry - was doing it in a rush and couldn't work out who to quote.

Being blunt, we absolutely need our World Cups to make cold, hard cash. We do not have the luxury yet of being able to put them on in places where the words potential feature or where it's an investment in some unspecified way for the future but no guaranteed money for us.

If that means, England and Australia with occasional full tournaments or games in France (and occasional games in NZ) then that's what it means.

Folk should stop daydreaming.

I think England and Australia need a minimum 12 year absence to help maximise crowds. If US bid can guarantee a profit before ticket sales, I'd go with it. Get Perez involved too. 

2025 - France

2029 - US/Canada

2033 - Australia

2037 - England

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I'm starting to think we should consider a Dutch bid.

By which I mean Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, and Sint Maarten.

Definitely! If nothing else than to visit some of the world's greatest airports. Sint Maarten and Princess Juliana Airport and cling to the fence at the end of the runway on Maho Beach while the jet blast from planes on the runway almost blow you into the sea! Saba Airport which has the shortest commercial runway in the world at just 400 metres. They can host it jointly with French Caribbean islands as well so we can have St Barts Airport which has a massive hill right at the end of the runway so planes have to either nose dive and sharply pull up to land or slam on their breaks as soon as the wheels touch the runway so they don't smack straight into the hill. Yes please! This is gonna be a great world cup! Can't wait! 😁

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

23 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I think England and Australia need a minimum 12 year absence to help maximise crowds. If US bid can guarantee a profit before ticket sales, I'd go with it. Get Perez involved too. 

2025 - France

2029 - US/Canada

2033 - Australia

2037 - England

Flamin' Nora, I'm sixty, so this is probably my last WC in the UK. 😱😩🥴

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

If I remember, isn't the 2029 bid meant to be from new people and has nothing to do with 2025?

All I can find with any reference to that is something from Steve Mascord which is behind a paywall.  Make of that what you will, but it doesn't sound terribly legitimate to me if there's no other information available about it.

By 2029 the Australian rugby league public might have perked up if we can take the trophy off them beforehand?  We say it’s insularity but I think they got bored of winning too.

It’s difficult to consider a country as a major rival if you keep beating them.  Now is our time!  We’ll never get a better chance to win it.

And in 2029 let’s defend it wherever the Australian organisers want to play it, that’s factoring in back to back victory now and in France.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2