Where is it all going wrong for Samoa's superstars?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Either way that will become evident when the tournament is over, but which team is full of SL player's?

Have a stable in the dark Harry.

There are a few NRL but vast majority are SL - including the 3 playmakers.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

I dont see this and no one mentioned it before Saturday. In fact this podcast is the first time. This is a team that were favourites to beat England and third favourites for the World Cup and are stacked with NRL Grand Final winners. Let's see how they are on this front when they dont suffer 3 match ending injuries and a lack of interchange options.

I think I flagged them picking too many props.

I think Tyrone May is a big loss, as he offers mobility and ball-playing at lock/loose-forward.

Just now, StandOffHalf said:

I think Tyrone May is a big loss, as he offers mobility and ball-playing at lock/loose-forward.

You do appear to have flagged it at least 3 times 

• Haha 3

Interesting listen although tough at times with Willy ranting and interrupting Horo which in turn makes Horo talk really quick to get his point out.

The edge forward bit was a good point that I hadnt considered in depth and they make a good case for this being one of the reasons they couldn't cope with England but there were more pressing factors than that.

1) Parrish. Everyone knows this including these guys. How he is in a job is remarkable. Wane perfect for Eng coach.

2) I think the speed england played at was too much for Samoa which included our back 5 on plays 1-3, who were all outstanding

3) Preparation and game plan. England had both, Samoa had neither

4) Kicking. Milford woeful, England mixed it up and were good, if not quite excellent in this area but kick chase and pressure were good.

5) Samoa no leaders and no one controlling sets. England leaders all over the park.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

It’s weird that I spent so long fretting that they’d beat England and the World Cup would be a disaster. Now we should just have to beat PNG to make the semis, and on the evidence so far it’s not too far fetched that we could beat Tonga at Arsenal and then even win the final - happy days 👌 

6 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I posted in another thread a wile ago that I thought France would be a lot closer to Samoa, than Samoa would be to England..   Its still a few days before France v Samoa, but lets see if  I was right in considering Samoa overhyped

That's a big shout! But do you know what this weekend's round of games could be quite telling whether you're right or not. If England put a strong team out (which i'm sure they will) against France and we put less on them than we did Samoa, then it's hard not to surmise their game could be closer than many would've predicted. I guess the flip side of that is, if Samoa destroy Greece by a far huger score than France did, then maybe France should have cause for concern the following week. Either way, this weekend will set the tone for which Samoa we're going to see for the rest of the tournament - they have to look very impressive against Greece or it's curtains for them even if they do make the quarters. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It’s weird that I spent so long fretting that they’d beat England and the World Cup would be a disaster. Now we should just have to beat PNG to make the semis, and on the evidence so far it’s not too far fetched that we could beat Tonga at Arsenal and then even win the final - happy days 👌 

After last night's showing I'm kind of pleased Tonga look very beatable but equally concerned that PNG aren't the relative walkover quarter final team I once thought they were! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

After last night's showing I'm kind of pleased Tonga look very beatable but equally concerned that PNG aren't the relative walkover quarter final team I once thought they were! 

They are two good, tough games for England. Knock-out stages should be awesome.

• Like 4

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

29 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That's a big shout! But do you know what this weekend's round of games could be quite telling whether you're right or not. If England put a strong team out (which i'm sure they will) against France and we put less on them than we did Samoa, then it's hard not to surmise their game could be closer than many would've predicted. I guess the flip side of that is, if Samoa destroy Greece by a far huger score than France did, then maybe France should have cause for concern the following week. Either way, this weekend will set the tone for which Samoa we're going to see for the rest of the tournament - they have to look very impressive against Greece or it's curtains for them even if they do make the quarters. 

Of course with my tipping skills, it would not surprise me for Samoa to scrap past France, then beat Tonga in QF and England in SF, but I think France will run Samoa close but will still lose by about 2 scores

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

A third of the match day 17 are current NRLplayers.

So 5.6666666667 players are in the NRL.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

2) I think the speed england played at was too much for Samoa which included our back 5 on plays 1-3, who were all outstanding

This is a key point and one which will play a part as the tournament progresses I feel.

I simply couldn't believe that some people pre game were saying that the speed of the Samoan game was going to be the downfall of England.  Anyone who watched the Super League Grand Final could see that the English game was played at a good pace and intensity.  The NRL may be ahead of the Super League overall but the big games in Super League rival the NRL in pace of the game.

This isn't just about how quickly each player runs or meets contact, it is the speed and accuracy that the ball is moved and the intensity of the kick chase and line speed.

Throughout the first round, the only side that has come close to executing their plays with the speed of England is Australia (and that includes New Zealand).

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So 5.6666666667 players are in the NRL.

I'd like to join in this debate but I've only watched one NRL game and that was New Zealand Warriors!

Bearing this in mind, if my opinion is worth anything, I think from the games so far that the NRL has more depth. 

I think if England have 5 NRL players then we can't really judge by this. It's too many to call it a side representing Super League. 

• Haha 1

I’d be wary of writing them off . There’s lots of talent in that squad , that was way way to bad to be true imo . Maybe I’m wrong and they’ll bomb out but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pick up and gain momentum and end up in the semis 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’d be wary of writing them off . There’s lots of talent in that squad , that was way way to bad to be true imo . Maybe I’m wrong and they’ll bomb out but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pick up and gain momentum and end up in the semis 

I just can't see them beating Tonga, both teams lack a little in the halves but where they are both good, Tonga are better.

And a team coached by Woolf is always going to be better prepared than one led by Parish.

Edited by Dunbar

Actually, in all seriousness, who are the actual superstars in this Samoan squad?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Actually, in all seriousness, who are the actual superstars in this Samoan squad?

Not sure, no one really stands out.

Think the bloke who set up their try was the best player- what was his name again...... Welsby was it.

20 minutes ago, UTK said:

Tim Lafai and Ken Sio join Samoa's squad as replacements after Tabuai-Fidow, Hamlin-Uele and May are ruled out of the tournament.

I didn't even realise that was possible after the tournament had started. 

Edited by Dunbar