1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Scotland by 1 to 6 points
    • Scotland by 7 to 12 points
    • Scotland by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/22 at 19:00

1 minute ago, Hello said:

Yep, and Australia scored exactly 14 times more points as in said game 😀

Yes I forgot about that 🙂

Seriously, I think the defence is so good that even 6 points is sufficient to win them games sometimes. 

Both Fijian tries against Australia were from grubber kicks. But of course Scotland didn't get close enough to try this. 

I suspect New Zealand and England/Tonga will use it as a tactic. 

I might be one of a few, but I don't mind seeing an absolute hammering every now and then. Sometimes you get some amazing tries and skill in show as they play without literally any fear.

Crowd numbers have been disappointing no doubt, that's another issue. Let's just try and enjoy our game rather than looking at reasons to bash it!

• Like 8
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I might be one of a few, but I don't mind seeing an absolute hammering every now and then. Sometimes you get some amazing tries and skill in show as they play without literally any fear.

Crowd numbers have been disappointing no doubt, that's another issue. Let's just try and enjoy our game rather than looking at reasons to bash it!

Crowd’s reaction to that last Ado-Carr try.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I agree and am a bit surprised at talk of disbanding teams, reducing the World Cup, messing around with structure etc in the wake of this.

Lets try and enjoy the great tries and defence we saw.

Nothing wrong with building up the prestige of the Aussies this World Cup as part of the storytelling in the media.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Roughyeds . Can’t even spell my own team’s name

Probably similar for Scottish national anthem. 🙄

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

51 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Two things decided me. Watching the Scots enter wearing kilts and ties! WTF. How signalling...

Completely agree with you on this one!  I can't believe nobody else has mentioned it. 

It was the same in the previous game. Peaky blinders caps as well.

They look like they are on a jolly. "Happy to be here" is the image they are sending out. 

It's supposed to be performance sport, a lot of teams arrive already strapped. The Scots are in pokey changing room at Newcastle hanging up formal wear while other teams are arriving half changed and ready to play. 

It makes you wonder what kind of activation they have done prior to keeping the hotel. I suspect none. 

An absolute shambles of a team. 

On a serious note (and if ignoring that I missed the last try because I needed the loo, that's how quickly tries were scored), it was a fully professional job by Oz on a poor Scottish performance. Yes, one team was far stronger than the other, but they stuck to the job whilst the weaker team underperformed.

As a TV watcher, the crowd looked disappointing, however I appreciate a balance needs to be found between offering games across the country and finding a balance for the "they'd have had a full ground at Hunslet" alternative. Possibly this needs some work, but equally I'd like to hope that the next time the WC is in the UK, that hosting at Midlands Hurricanes would bring a full house. 

• Like 2

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

10 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Completely agree with you on this one!  I can't believe nobody else has mentioned it. 

It was the same in the previous game. Peaky blinders caps as well.

They look like they are on a jolly. "Happy to be here" is the image they are sending out. 

It's supposed to be performance sport, a lot of teams arrive already strapped. The Scots are in pokey changing room at Newcastle hanging up formal wear while other teams are arriving half changed and ready to play. 

It makes you wonder what kind of activation they have done prior to keeping the hotel. I suspect none. 

Yup 

I don't have an issue with heritage teams, but the Scots attire just looks like a poor attempt at presenting authenticity. 

Do Scotland's soccer, union or cricket team dress in such a manner?

21 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

The Scots are in pokey changing room at Newcastle

Given the game tonight was in Coventry, does that help explain the performance? 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes I did enjoy it, in a perverse “how good are they?” kind of way. I know Scotland were on a hiding to nothing, but the way the Aussies could be down a blind alley 60m out and still score of the same play was just astounding, and of course the try of the game was an absolute breath taker.

In some ways it wasn’t too dissimilar to the last 10 minutes of the Leigh 100 v York where the quality of play would have stacked up against any side and you just had to sit back and enjoy it

(Apologies if you missed the attempt at humour in my original post which was very much a reference to the M6 and certainly not heritage players etc!)

• Thanks 2

This says a lot highest scores in Unions WC especially as Union fans rarely moan and each of these games probably were sell outs.

Points Team Score
145 New Zealand 145–17
142 Australia 142–0
111 England 111–13
108 New Zealand 108–13

also whats interesting given how much they have improved is 

Most points conceded in World Cups

Japan have conceded 602 points in 12 matches during the last four tournaments.

also not World Cup related but this is an interesting result 

Record score line 

French club Lavardac beat third division opponents Vergt 350-0 with 66 tries. It happened in 1984 when tries were worth of four points.

Edited by IM2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yes I did enjoy it, in a perverse “how good are they?” kind of way. I know Scotland were on a hiding to nothing, but the way the Aussies could be down a blind alley 60m out and still score of the same play was just astounding, and of course the try of the game was an absolute breath taker.

In some ways it wasn’t too dissimilar to the last 10 minutes of the Leigh 100 v York where the quality of play would have stacked up against any side and you just had to sit back and enjoy it

(Apologies if you missed the attempt at humour in my original post which was very much a reference to the M6 and certainly not heritage players etc!)

Tell me about it. I live just outside Birmingham and didn't get home until nearly midnight!

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I agree and am a bit surprised at talk of disbanding teams, reducing the World Cup, messing around with structure etc in the wake of this.

Lets try and enjoy the great tries and defence we saw.

Nothing wrong with building up the prestige of the Aussies this World Cup as part of the storytelling in the media.

Yes, we all know precisely how amazing some of this Aussie team is because we watch the NRL each week, but the world needs to know it

The All Blacks batter teams full of full-time professionals all the time, and are respected for their excellence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I just hope the sponsor of the Scottish team, one Hector McNiel of this parish and from time to time this forum, isn't reading these threads, otherwise he'd be overcome with emotion at all the advice we (including me) are offering from the sidelines.