Strange signing by Leeds Rhinos

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’m not sure it’s that strange. Not my type of winger or one I’d have liked my side to sign but he’s reasonably cheap and will do a job as cover in the threequarters now Briscoe has gone. 

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Like for like replacement for the retiring Tom Briscoe (oh hang on...) - but better than Briscoe as he was at the back end of his career.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Its not strange at all, he's a direct replacement for Tom Briscoe - check out Olpherts stats for last year they are very good.

I just thought they might have gone for someone younger

The only surprise to me is Olpherts' age - I really thought he was 4-5 years younger than that. But feed him some decent ball and he'll do just fine.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

48 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Its not strange at all, he's a direct replacement for Tom Briscoe - check out Olpherts stats for last year they are very good.

He was prone to lots of mistakes at Salford under little pressure. Not seen enough of him at Cas to know if he has been cured of that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Like for like replacement for the retiring Tom Briscoe (oh hang on...) - but better than Briscoe as he was at the back end of his career.

Tom Briscoe was hoping for a new contract and was disappointed when he was told Leeds letting him go.   So if retiring more a reaction to not being offered new contract.

Briscoe has done OK since returning from his injury and playing out of his normal wing position as centre. He would be a good squad/injury cover addition for a SL club. 

I am not sure Olpherts is that much of an improvement and not much difference in age. Time will tell but to me it's more a like for like signing and seems more a reaction to Hardaker turning Leeds down and the need for cover. 

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Tom Briscoe was hoping for a new contract and was disappointed when he was told Leeds letting him go.   So if retiring more a reaction to not being offered new contract.

Briscoe has done OK since returning from his injury and playing out of his normal wing position as centre. He would be a good squad/injury cover addition for a SL club. 

I am not sure Olpherts is that much of an improvement and not much difference in age. Time will tell but to me it's more a like for like signing and seems more a reaction to Hardaker turning Leeds down and the need for cover. 

Olpherts has been signed for ages, nothing to do with Hardaker situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Olpherts has been signed for ages, nothing to do with Hardaker situation.

fair enough, I stand corrected.

Thanks for update and reply - much appreciated.

Anyway fingers crossed Leeds can compete at top of league most of next year - it would make life easier of a weekend without a grumbling missus dissecting the game all week.

18 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

17 hours ago, Red Willow said:

He was prone to lots of mistakes at Salford under little pressure. Not seen enough of him at Cas to know if he has been cured of that.

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Agree with that he also gets pulled out of position when defending inside 25m area.But a few wingers do that.

2 hours ago, V02 said:

Across the entire comp, Olpherts is 1st for tackle busts, 3rd for run metres, 7th for tries scored, 13th for clean breaks.

How is that a strange signing?

His defence is weak and will require a lot of work from the Leeds coaching team to improve it

11 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

His defence is weak and will require a lot of work from the Leeds coaching team to improve it

A lot of defence is system driven though. If Olpherts shoots in a lot, is that because of him or because that is how a lot of systems want players to react to certain situations?

12 minutes ago, V02 said:

A lot of defence is system driven though. If Olpherts shoots in a lot, is that because of him or because that is how a lot of systems want players to react to certain situations?

Like i said the Leeds coaching staff will a lot of work to do to improve his defence, but given time I'm sure they will

• Like 1