1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/22 at 16:30

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

In relation to trying to gauge France’s strength that seems a better result than their 30-10 defeat at home to an England team without NRL players last year. England at home coming off 2 huge victories over Fiji & Samoa and France keep the margin to 24 and were within 6 at half time that looks a good result, especially missing Fages & Bosquet.

The Samoa game will be interesting, I still think Samoa will come good and win but going off other results a French upset isn’t out of the question which would be great for them. It would take a huge Tonga Vs Samoa quarter off the table which would be a shame but that’s sport.

I’m hopeful the days of 60-70 scores against the French are over. I think there would be some value in England playing them at least once a year even if it’s mid-season without NRL players. A mid-year tri series with England, France & Ireland would be good to see based on current strength, England can play CNAS when Ireland play France.

I would Absolutely love for a mid season French test every year, they’ve proved in the last 2 games against England that they are very competitive and they deserve a game every year. I’m not even sure that bringing in NRL Players would be off the cards, Caps are hard to come by in rugby league and A bloke like Victor Radley would 100% come over for mid-season test especially if there was a by-round in the NRL. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

Good game. Shows we should have more faith in France.

One thing regarding England, we're not going to get any marginal decisions (unlike today) if and when we play the Aussies. Because they'll demand their very own "pet" referee.

Agreed. How many times have we seen it? Tri- and Four Nations it used to be so unsubtle it was comical 

Our best-case scenario is Klein 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 hours ago, George Watt said:

I last enjoyed a series win against the Aussies back in 1970 and cannot see a change in the ending this time either.

Absolutely.

I think we'll possibly (even probably) make the final but I just can't see England beating the Aussies.

On the other hand, if NZ somehow manage to beat Australia in the semi, I think England have a 'reasonable chance'. I'm basing that on our relative success against NZ. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I would Absolutely love for a mid season French test every year, they’ve proved in the last 2 games against England that they are very competitive and they deserve a game every year. I’m not even sure that bringing in NRL Players would be off the cards, Caps are hard to come by in rugby league and A bloke like Victor Radley would 100% come over for mid-season test especially if there was a by-round in the NRL. 

Problem is the strongest French team is going to involve loads of Catalan players. And quite rightly they shouldn't have to release 10 players mid-season. Its quite a large disadvantage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

I wouldn't want an English referee either.

Because I don't trust them: they'll "show their neutrality" by continuously favouring Australia.

I want a neutral referee. Pity there aren't any French ones.

Exactly, the last thing I want is a English ref. They get starstruck by the Aussies and give em everything.

• Like 4

Escare would make anyone supporting the French very nervous every time he gets near the ball, Gigot brushed off last week and was exceptional IMO considering the sheer physical dominance that England had. Da Costa looks a lot better playing lock than he does hooker, getting Pelissier on earlier improved France immensely while Da Costa helped shift the ball around the middle a bit. 

The wrestle and physical dominance of the England pack was superb, the shape laid from Radley to the halves continues to look brilliant and again the outside backs could rip apart anyone on their day. Going to take a very good team to beat a full-strength England.

Looking ahead to France - Samoa, would be very tempted to play Rouge in the halves with one of Gigot/Mourgue shifting to fullback. Le Cam doesn't appear to be a very good use of a bench spot when the props can't play long minutes and Garcia/Goudemand/Jullien/Seguier can play on the edge. Efficient and effective rotations of Springer/Belmas/Sangare/Dezaria will be key to maintaining the physical battle with Samoa, perhaps another prop such as Puech or shifting Stefani to the middle could help with that. Positive signs that France are building towards better results in the future.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, UTK said:

Escare would make anyone supporting the French very nervous every time he gets near the ball, Gigot brushed off last week and was exceptional IMO considering the sheer physical dominance that England had. Da Costa looks a lot better playing lock than he does hooker, getting Pelissier on earlier improved France immensely while Da Costa helped shift the ball around the middle a bit. 

The wrestle and physical dominance of the England pack was superb, the shape laid from Radley to the halves continues to look brilliant and again the outside backs could rip apart anyone on their day. Going to take a very good team to beat a full-strength England.

Looking ahead to France - Samoa, would be very tempted to play Rouge in the halves with one of Gigot/Mourgue shifting to fullback. Le Cam doesn't appear to be a very good use of a bench spot when the props can't play long minutes and Garcia/Goudemand/Jullien/Seguier can play on the edge. Efficient and effective rotations of Springer/Belmas/Sangare/Dezaria will be key to maintaining the physical battle with Samoa, perhaps another prop such as Puech or shifting Stefani to the middle could help with that. Positive signs that France are building towards better results in the future.

Rougé has to get a go next week, I think France should consider moving Seguier back to the middle instead of Belmas, Belmas has seemed pretty insignificant so far and Seguier’s carries have been really strong, he would be much more suited to the front row. I would also love to see what Puech can do against the Samoans.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, UTK said:

Thanks for these thoughts.

I have the same sort of feelings about Escaré, who is just a bit ineffectual and underwhelming. I think I'd have Gigot at FB, with Rougé and Mourgue in the halves.

Dezaria is a fantastic addition for France. I love his fight and tenacity. He's a real stand-out presence for them IMO.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Farnworth has been poor today

I think he has shown frailties as a technical centre, he recieved very good ball on a number of occasions but could rarely deliver a telling pass, in this game it didn't have any consequence but it could further down the line, lots to be worked on by the England coaches.

8 hours ago, UTK said:

Yes, the same game where every genuine Tongan try was analysed within an inch of its life while a couple of additional times the Tongans crossed the line they were refused the opportunity to be considered by the video referee.

Because of course we can't have England missing a WC Final at the hands of a little tier 2 nation can we?

Would you like some salt & vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I think France will beat Samoa

I don't, Samoa will blow Greece away today and use the game as both  preperation and mental readjustment from their England debacle.

I agree that Matt Parish seems not to have the confidence from his player's but I would say there is enough expierence if not expectation from the Samoan player's to get the job done against France, my opinion of course I think that individually Samoa has better player's than France they just need to put it together, do so and they are in the quarter finals.

13 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Oh God, brings back some dismal memories from 2000. That ground has always been a horror show to get away from.

Not only on match days, it is bad enough when you go shopping there even though there are only a few coming off not like the Stadium full when everyone wants to get away at the same time.

Local knowledge and being prepared to walk 10-15 mins to the ground will get you away an hour earlier, or come off at half time😉

13 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

I wouldn't want an English referee either.

Because I don't trust them: they'll "show their neutrality" by continuously favouring Australia.

I want a neutral referee. Pity there aren't any French ones.

It has never been any different it seems as though our refs are frightened to adjudge any 50/50's against Aus, but not only Aus do you remember the GB '19 tour to NZ we had the same ref in all three games in NZ one Chris Kendall it is bad enough when an English man is reffing over here, but when in another country they take it to a completely new level, the GB team was not that good,  but the reffing was worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

England would be devoid of the Aussie contingents in any mid season tests v France but I don't think that would matter England would still be to strong, and just as importantly France would not field their best and strongest team, there is the small matter of League games to consider which when it is just 2 clubs supplying the majority of the players it could be very disruptive for them.

It is fine that a number of people are calling for two tests v France annually, but do the French clubs in question want or indeed need to be disrupted in a season long campaign, and more to the point do the French player's want it, expierience of seeing French games when so many players are suddenly unavailable says no they don't want it.

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Exactly, the last thing I want is a English ref. They get starstruck by the Aussies and give em everything.

They also know they can say goodbye to ever refereeing an Australia match again, and probably the likes of finals, if they leave Australia displeased at the end of it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

England would be devoid of the Aussie contingents in any mid season tests v France but I don't think that would matter England would still be to strong, and just as importantly France would not field their best and strongest team, there is the small matter of League games to consider which when it is just 2 clubs supplying the majority of the players it could be very disruptive for them.

It is fine that a number of people are calling for two tests v France annually, but do the French clubs in question want or indeed need to be disrupted in a season long campaign, and more to the point do the French player's want it, expierience of seeing French games when so many players are suddenly unavailable says no they don't want it.

I’m sure Catalans wouldn't mind having 6 or 7 players who are in there 17 play a game in a by round, I think you’re being very over the top, Catalans Dragons are the leading asset in French rugby league and they would love nothing more than an annual test against the English. 

And come on mate “do the French players want it”, obviously the French players want to play games against the English, In what world would they not want to play them. I’m very confused you would even ask that question honestly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I’m sure Catalans wouldn't mind having 6 or 7 players who are in there 17 play a game in a by round, I think you’re being very over the top, Catalans Dragons are the leading asset in French rugby league and they would love nothing more than an annual test against the English. 

And come on mate “do the French players want it”, obviously the French players want to play games against the English, In what world would they not want to play them. I’m very confused you would even ask that question honestly.

Catalans have been clear in the past that they don’t want a mid season test. I think  that attitude would change if they became an A grade team and then have there SL position guaranteed. 

I have just caught up with the game.  Some thoughts from me, I haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if it is old ground.

- No doubt the English side got up for the Samoa game as it was the big game in the group, so maybe a little bit of a hangover was expect but overall it was a decent enough performance. 

- in both games though there was a concerning drop off around the 20 minute mark.  I don't think it was the interchange forwards, Thompson was good and Oledzki solid enough, it was the whole team that took the foot off the pedal.  It didn't matter in both games but it absolutely will if we switch off in the knockout games.

- Radley was good again.  Although we need Knowles in the 17 as he adds that intensity we need from the bench.

- I hope Watkins is good for the quarters.  He will get a week off next week so a full 2 weeks will hopefully see him right for the big games to come.

- I don't care where he is picked, Jack Welsby simply has to play.  I expect Wane will go back to Williams and Welsby in the halves for the big games but he can influence the game from anywhere.  He just needs to be on the pitch.

- I think the France Samoa game will be competitive.  I expect Samoa to get the win but it won't be easy and I would like to see France win.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 7

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Gomersall said:

What’s a 7” single mister? 🤓

It's like a 12" single but without the extended megamix on the b-side.

I think you're going to tell me that's not helping.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, Ullman said:

It's like a 12" single but without the extended megamix on the b-side.

I think you're going to tell me that's not helping.

Yes, but how do I play my 78's?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not only on match days, it is bad enough when you go shopping there even though there are only a few coming off not like the Stadium full when everyone wants to get away at the same time.

Local knowledge and being prepared to walk 10-15 mins to the ground will get you away an hour earlier, or come off at half time😉

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17