Rework of IRL/RLWC

Tonight has showed us a lot of things.

The World Cup simply has to many teams for there to be regular competitive games: Solution= A 10-12 Team world Cup, This would make the tournament a lot more competitive with less blow out scores and all round more enjoyment.

Heritage filled Nations don’t offer anything.

Having Nations filled with Heritage players, With Little to no Domestic game Offer absolutely nothing to our game.

They have 0 Fans get absolutely Destroyed every week and are simply completely useless.

My Solution. Teams must have a certain number of Domestic players (8 or so players), Primarily in qualifying to disallow nations like Scotland and Italy qualifying over entirely domestic nations such as Serbia or The Netherlands.
Not that Serbia or Netherlands would do a better job, but if a saw a team getting destroyed 84-0 I would at least hope there playing for the country and not all heritage players.

This game was a really poor display of rugby league and hopefully gives the people in charge a wake up call.

16 Teams was never viable nor logical and this shows it.

Heritage Filled Nations offer nothing and shouldn’t be playing against the best.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The qualifying stage will always throw up blowout scores. But it does give lower teams the chance to play against the giants of world Rugby League.

We could all probably name the 8 quarterfinalists.

That's when this comp will get proper serious.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, doc said:

The qualifying stage will always throw up blowout scores. But it does give lower teams the chance to play against the giants of world Rugby League.

This. 

We demand competitiveness and close matches at every single game. So frustrating at times.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Tonight hasn’t shown us anything we didn’t already know. It was always going to be a cricket score. That happens in sport sometimes and certainly in rugby league, domestically and internationally. 

We don’t need to rip up what little we have on the international stage and hope for change. This World Cup, so far, has involved the incredible story of the Greeks, Jamaica taking part and have seen the emotion and pride of players from multiple nations. That’s before we even start with the womens or wheelchair tournaments, that include Canada, Brazil and Spain taking part. 

After the adversity faced by the Greeks for daring to play a game, can you imagine saying that they couldn’t take part again? Isn’t that exactly what they’ve been through but this time by those who should be most supportive?

• Like 9

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

This. 

We demand competitiveness and close matches at every single game. So frustrating at times.

Yeah this is getting frustrating now. RL is such a difficult, relentless game that this is impossible. Even the Super Dooper NRL with all the money and players at its disposal and mechansims like the salary cap comes no where near to achieving this.

• Like 7

8 Team World Cup - Australia, New Zealand, England, Tonga, Samoa, France and two qualifiers from a  tournament between the smaller nations (Simler to Cricket's current T20 world cup).

At least this way the two qualifiers would be the "best of the rest" and likely to be more competitive. This does not gurantee no blowout scores but migfht things more respectable.

• Confused 2

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Tonight hasn’t shown us anything we didn’t already know. It was always going to be a cricket score. That happens in sport sometimes and certainly in rugby league, domestically and internationally. 

We don’t need to rip up what little we have on the international stage and hope for change. This World Cup, so far, has involved the incredible story of the Greeks, Jamaica taking part and have seen the emotion and pride of players from multiple nations. That’s before we even start with the womens or wheelchair tournaments, that include Canada, Brazil and Spain taking part. 

After the adversity faced by the Greeks for daring to play a game, can you imagine saying that they couldn’t take part again? Isn’t that exactly what they’ve been through but this time by those who should be most supportive?

I agree with the first part, Hopefully this sheds more light on it though.

The difference from Jamaica and Greece and Scotland is that there is Domestic players in those Nations Jamaica with 6 and Greece With 8 Respectively. There unfortunately Isn’t any interest in Scotland and they really shouldn’t be competing in a World Cup, Sorry to the players but there simply isn’t any interest.

If the Scotland players are so keen on playing for there country, They should go out of there way and attempt Develop the sport there. Donate Money, Meet with junior clubs. Little stuff that can Excel growth.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 2

Just now, SydneyRoosters said:

I agree with the first part, Hopefully this sheds more light on it though.

The difference from Jamaica and Greece and Scotland is that there is Domestic players in those Nations Jamaica with 6 and Greece With 8 Respectively. There unfortunately Isn’t any interest in Scotland and they really shouldn’t be competing in a World Cup, Sorry to the players but there simply isn’t any interest.

If the Scotland players are so keen on playing for there country, They should go out of there way and attempt Develop the sport there. Donate Money, Meet with junior clubs. Little stuff that can Excel growth.

By that logic, most nations aren’t eligible for the World Cup. See ya later Fiji. On your bike Samoa. Tonga? Get outta here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

By that logic, most nations aren’t eligible for the World Cup. See ya later Fiji. On your bike Samoa. Tonga? Get outta here.

Fiji have 50% Domestic born players, And a team entering NSW cup next year. They are known to Produce Dozens and Dozens of First grade players. Tonga and Samoa yes, they need to focus on domestic players too 100% But at least with those 2 nations, They have a Fanbase and are Competitive (Sort of with Samoa).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Tonight has showed us a lot of things.

The World Cup simply has to many teams for there to be regular competitive games: Solution= A 10-12 Team world Cup, This would make the tournament a lot more competitive with less blow out scores and all round more enjoyment.

Heritage filled Nations don’t offer anything.

Having Nations filled with Heritage players, With Little to no Domestic game Offer absolutely nothing to our game.

They have 0 Fans get absolutely Destroyed every week and are simply completely useless.

My Solution. Teams must have a certain number of Domestic players (8 or so players), Primarily in qualifying to disallow nations like Scotland and Italy qualifying over entirely domestic nations such as Serbia or The Netherlands.
Not that Serbia or Netherlands would do a better job, but if a saw a team getting destroyed 84-0 I would at least hope there playing for the country and not all heritage players.

This game was a really poor display of rugby league and hopefully gives the people in charge a wake up call.

16 Teams was never viable nor logical and this shows it.

Heritage Filled Nations offer nothing and shouldn’t be playing against the best.

The last disaster was 16 teams. This isn't as bad but it's not a million miles better.

I would like to see a 12 team WC, in 3 groups of 4. We should stop worrying about criteria and pretending fairness exists and should just prioritise the countries we want to keep.

Tier 1 - Aus, NZ, Eng

Tier 2 - France, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Wales

Tier 3 - let everyone else fight out over the 3 spots. 

Reduce the number of uncompetitive pure heritage countries while giving them an avenue to compete.

Three groups winners go into the semi-finals, top 2 runners up play a playoff for the 4th spot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just like any other knock out tournament the early seeded rounds will be one sided scores.

Union are not put off  by this, didn't the all blacks put 140 on Japan in the 90s with Japan eventually turning the corner. Argentina have come on as well.

Soccer have had several blow out, Germany 9-0 with Iran? Comes to mind.

I don't mind the big scores in the early rounds, not everything needs to be nail biting close to be meaningful.

No one has had over 100 put on them.

In terms of league progression looking at the 30 years worth of Tonga vs PNG results shows what sticking with it does!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The last disaster was 16 teams. This isn't as bad but it's not a million miles better.

I would like to see a 12 team WC, in 3 groups of 4. We should stop worrying about criteria and pretending fairness exists and should just prioritise the countries we want to keep.

Tier 1 - Aus, NZ, Eng

Tier 2 - France, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Wales

Tier 3 - let everyone else fight out over the 3 spots. 

Reduce the number of uncompetitive pure heritage countries while giving them an avenue to compete.

Three groups winners go into the semi-finals, top 2 runners up play a playoff for the 4th spot.

Wales in the same tier as Tonga?  Thats laughable. 

• Haha 2

FWIW 

Scotland drew with NZ at the last home world cup and got big crowds in Cumbria which coincidently is right next to Scotland... the RLWC team then decide to play Scotland game in Coventry?!

Last home world cup France played games in France and got big crowds, RLWC let's play in Doncaster?!

Sold a game out in Bristol so let's not give them a game.

Can't help thinking that their strategy was all wrong.

The England games they have done well with and the anfield cancellation was beyond their control but they should have looked to break even at worst with the other games. 

Tonga games at St helens came good possibly as a fluke due to the Tonga contingent at saints.

The one and only reason I can think of that they have done what they have is to get funding from the levling up fund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted this on October 13th, and I'm sticking by it, copied and pasted below.

I fear newbies watching will see a 30- 0 half time scoreline and switch off, and not knowing the game will think it's all like that and not bother.

My ideal format would be 10 teams, two groups of 5, each playing 4 games. Top of each group through to semis. Qfinal play offs, A2 vB3, B2v A3 , two winners meet A1 or B1 in semi finals,  then final. That would give a tournament of 25 games, only 6 less than now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Just like any other knock out tournament the early seeded rounds will be one sided scores.

Union are not put off  by this, didn't the all blacks put 140 on Japan in the 90s with Japan eventually turning the corner. Argentina have come on as well.

Soccer have had several blow out, Germany 9-0 with Iran? Comes to mind.

I don't mind the big scores in the early rounds, not everything needs to be nail biting close to be meaningful.

No one has had over 100 put on them.

In terms of league progression looking at the 30 years worth of Tonga vs PNG results shows what sticking with it does!

My main Problem isn’t with blow out scores, teams must check 3 Boxes For me.

1. Is the Team Widely Followed, with a lot of support and interest coming from the country.

2. Does the Nation play rugby league and use mostly or a good amount of Domestic players in there squad.

3. Is the team Competitive, and does the team regularly play well against good opposition.

Australia, England, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, France and Probably Wales tick all 3 of those boxes.

Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands and probably Greece and Jamaica Would Tick 2 Boxes for me.

Italy, Ireland, Lebanon would Tick 1 Box for me.

And then there’s Scotland, They have no Fans of intrest, There Country doesn’t play the sport and they do not have Domestic Players, And well, this game showed the answer to the last question.

Edit- I would probably also class Italy 0/3.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

My main Problem isn’t with blow out scores, teams must check 3 Boxes For me.

1. Is the Team Widely Followed, with a lot of support and interest coming from the country.

2. Does the Nation play rugby league and use mostly or a good Domestic players in there squad.

3. Is the team Competitive, and does the regularly play well against good opposition.

Australia, England, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, France and Probably Wales tick all 3 of those boxes.

Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands and probably Greece and Jamaica Would Tick 2 Boxes for me.

Italy, Ireland, Lebanon would Tick 1 Box for me.

And then there’s Scotland, They have no Fans of intrest, There Countey doesn’t play the sport and they do not have Domestic Players, And well, this game showed the answer to the last questions.

But, they qualified for the tournament and meet minimum criteria, NZ clinched a draw against them in the last home world cup (your tier one team and current world number 1) they got a large following in Cumbria, England played in Coventry and no one went to watch, wasps relocated to Coventry and no one went to watch, they are now bankrupt, Coventry football can't even make playing in Coventry work !

Coote being ruled out didn't help, brough retiring etc but as you say they need to do more work on player production but as a nation of less than 5 million with the biggest city population wise being soccer mad they will always struggle.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, yipyee said:

FWIW 

Scotland drew with NZ at the last home world cup and got big crowds in Cumbria which coincidently is right next to Scotland... the RLWC team then decide to play Scotland game in Coventry?!

In fairness, Scotland just had more turn up in Coventry than Cumbria plus previously had a 20k crowd there against England. Just saying…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

My ideal format would be 10 teams, two groups of 5, each playing 4 games. Top of each group through to semis. Qfinal play offs, A2 vB3, B2v A3 , two winners meet A1 or B1 in semi finals,  then final. That would give a tournament of 25 games, only 6 less than now

That's one of my favourite structures I've seen for a small world cup - I think a fairly balanced tournament is key for credibility.

Though I'm not sure thw odd blowout is worth binning the smaller nations.

Edited by Mrgameandwatch
  • Like 1