Michael Cheika

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

He has plenty of detractors and he is a sore loser. Self confessed sore loser, so the man knows his faults.

I think he is a great mind and would love to see more of him in RL. NRL career after taking Argentina to the RUWC maybe?

Yes, I've been impressed by him.

A large part of coaching is man management and he will have a plethora of assistants to help with the technical side. An international coach isn't necessarily going to make a player better in the short amount of time they have so it's all about harnessing those players into a cohesive unit and creating a powerful team. Cheika seems to have done a great job at that.

• Like 3

Cheika is a great guy and a quality coach.

I'd love to see him take up coaching rugby league full time. He's achieved a lot in union.

A handful of NRL clubs would benefit from taking a chance on him.

Leeds, Wigan, Saints and Warrington would be good for him if their coaching staff falls to . No other clubs would be able to afford him.

He totally outcoached his Irish counterpart today.

The difference in the pre and post match interviews was striking also. 

He plays a very expansive game with Argentina too. They were the only side I watched in the summer internationals. 

• Like 3

The big question for me, around Cheika, is what he does when the fixtures clash. That will be telling. He was desperate to take the Lebanon job, went out of his way to get it when no-one in union wanted him, and made a big song and dance about his family, etc, etc. And it's the World Cup! If he disappears to coach some rah-rah team in a friendly match then that's all I need to know about him.

• Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

26 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The big question for me, around Cheika, is what he does when the fixtures clash. That will be telling. He was desperate to take the Lebanon job, went out of his way to get it when no-one in union wanted him, and made a big song and dance about his family, etc, etc. And it's the World Cup! If he disappears to coach some rah-rah team in a friendly match then that's all I need to know about him.

I dont think that's fair. Coaching Argentina is his primary job and I presume he is under contract and well paid for doing so. Lebanon is obviously more a labour of love, he will be getting peanuts for doing this, as is his passion for Rugby League and he is obviously a RL fan at heart. As is there is 2 days in between and I can't see why he can't do both.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

I dont think that's fair. Coaching Argentina is his primary job and I presume he is under contract and well paid for doing so. Lebanon is obviously more a labour of love, he will be getting peanuts for doing this, as is his passion for Rugby League and he is obviously a RL fan at heart. As is there is 2 days in between and I can't see why he can't do both.

I'm sure I read in the Guardian article that the games were on the same day. If they're not, then there's no problem.

As to the rest, he took the Lebanon job first, anything else should fit in around that.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959