2 minutes ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

A year or so ago Swinton were talking about rebranding as Manchester Lions .I think i would have a great idea . Rebranding and relocating i think FC united of Manchester stadium could be a perfect location . 

Just use the search function on this forum and you'll find previous threads on the subject. There's no need to start a new one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

If we want a central manchester club start it from scratch without any of the bagge. Make more sense to call Swinton Sale Lions if there was a name change. 

That happened with Manchester Rangers but they were rejected from the RFL

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

That happened with Manchester Rangers but they were rejected from the RFL

Supposedly partly because of opposition from within the existing clubs.

Swinton added Manchester to their badge shortly after. Surprise?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

A year or so ago Swinton were talking about rebranding as Manchester Lions .I think i would have a great idea . Rebranding and relocating i think FC united of Manchester stadium could be a perfect location . 

FC United are about half a mile from the Oldham border. About 8 miles from Swinton.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

If we want a central manchester club start it from scratch without any of the bagge. Make more sense to call Swinton Sale Lions if there was a name change. 

Why Sale? It’s just a small insignificant town. 

42 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

FC United are about half a mile from the Oldham border. About 8 miles from Swinton.

Don’t let facts and common sense stop people sticking pins in maps mate. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Haha 1

Swinton will never progress much higher in their current guise. The professional game is not structured in a way that would see a small district club afford to do so.

That might be ok for them and their supporters. They may prefer to hold on to tradition rather than evolve for success.

Not sure how I'd feel in a similar situation. Easy for me to say I'd name the change if it improved chances of success, but Hull aren't ever going to be in that situation as it's already named after the biggest city in the area for miles, and there's not much to add by going East Yorkshire other than a few small towns and villages.

I mean, I always thought Hunslet should have become Leeds Hawks to appeal to a wider base of sponsors and supporters. But, see above. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Swinton will never progress much higher in their current guise. The professional game is not structured in a way that would see a small district club afford to do so.

That might be ok for them and their supporters. They may prefer to hold on to tradition rather than evolve for success.

Not sure how I'd feel in a similar situation. Easy for me to say I'd name the change if it improved chances of success, but Hull aren't ever going to be in that situation as it's already named after the biggest city in the area for miles, and there's not much to add by going East Yorkshire other than a few small towns and villages.

I mean, I always thought Hunslet should have become Leeds Hawks to appeal to a wider base of sponsors and supporters. But, see above. 

Certainly if there is no promotion! Thanks for nothing Super League.

Swinton were once big hitters - just fallen on hard times. With luck they can rise again.

The 'Manchester' area already has 2 teams - Swinton and Salford plus Oldham and Rochdale not far away. There used to be a 5th - Broughton/Belle Vue Rangers. How many more teams do people want in that city?

3 minutes ago, hw88 said:

Swinton were once big hitters - just fallen on hard times. With luck they can rise again.

The 'Manchester' area already has 2 teams - Swinton and Salford plus Oldham and Rochdale not far away. There used to be a 5th - Broughton/Belle Vue Rangers. How many more teams do people want in that city?

Maybe an actual Manchester team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hw88 said:

No, not because there's no promotion, but because a small town of 20k in an area that dwarfs it and is football mad is going to struggle to get the investment needed to produce a competitive full time team; especially without a ground.

Castleford are an anomaly, but at least don't have the football issue.

The Manchester area has a fair few teams. Manchester itself has none within and none by name. 

34 minutes ago, hw88 said:

There isn’t a single team in Manchester as far as I’m aware. 

1 minute ago, SalfordSlim said:

Some people still seem to struggle to grasp that Swinton is in Salford and neither Salford or Swinton are part of Manchester. 2 separate cities entirely.🤷‍♂️

May as well say Wigan is in St Helens or Bradford is in Leeds.

Well no, because Salford is in Greater Manchester. There are no connections with the other examples you give.

44 minutes ago, hw88 said:

Swinton - resurgam? I think not, sad to say. Big hitters 50 - 60 years ago yes, but the demise of Station Road spelt the end for a club already in significant decline. That's not to belittle the motivation, the  effort, the determination,  the enterprise of recent regimes, but the hard truth is....hard.

• Like 1