6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They replaced Odsal?

No, but it's a shadow of what it was. Pitch is a postage stamp surrounded by a sea of sand and dirt that forms the stock car track. The Coral Stand scoreboard doesn't work and the buiding itself looks really shabby.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, hw88 said:

OK then.

18 teams split into 2 groups of 9. You play the teams in your own group twice - 16 games - and teams in the other group once - 9 games - producing a 25 game season. The top team in each group would go directly to the semi-finals while teams finishing second and third would play each other for the remaining two places. The 2 semi-final winners would obviously contest the grand final.

Now for the sticky problem of promotion/relegation. Several options here i) bottom teams in each group relegated, ii) bottom teams play each other with the loser being relegated, iii) relegation takes place every third season and being based on the average points gained in those 3 seasons. This would ensure that promoted teams could plan for a minimum 3 year stay in the top flight.

My reasoning for all that is quite simple. For me 12 teams is too narrow and gives little room for growth/expansion. With 18 places that means there is enough room for 'traditional' clubs but also allows for expansion into 'new' areas such as a second or third French team, a Welsh team, a Canadian/American team, a non-heartland team, etc, should they become good enough. Also a 12 team league naturally gives a 22 game season which i) isn't really long enough hence the additional games and ii) sticking at 22 games really negates the need for play-offs (play each other twice, job done).

Also not to have promotion/relegation to my mind would be a mistake. It would cut teams off from the top level and ultimately cause them to whither on the vine so-to-speak. Plus having a 'closed shop' isn't the British way. We are not America with franchises, huge collegiate systems and vast distances between teams. We are not Australia, which was based on two large cities of roughly equal standing separated by hundreds of miles with RL being the dominant code of football in each.

So they you go FI - I shall stand back and await the pooh-pooh!

i like the 18 team have stated this in the passed. I would go all playing each other once for 17 games plus then play half the teams again for another 9 games . That gives each team 13 home games and 13 away. Top 8 make play offs and bottom team relegated. 

7 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Same as Wakefield Metropolitan, Wakefield, Featherstone, Dewsbury and Castleford. 

What????

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

What????

Didn't you know? Swapped with knottla, which is now in kirklees. 😜

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

19 hours ago, hw88 said:

OK then.

18 teams split into 2 groups of 9. You play the teams in your own group twice - 16 games - and teams in the other group once - 9 games - producing a 25 game season. The top team in each group would go directly to the semi-finals while teams finishing second and third would play each other for the remaining two places. The 2 semi-final winners would obviously contest the grand final.

Now for the sticky problem of promotion/relegation. Several options here i) bottom teams in each group relegated, ii) bottom teams play each other with the loser being relegated, iii) relegation takes place every third season and being based on the average points gained in those 3 seasons. This would ensure that promoted teams could plan for a minimum 3 year stay in the top flight.

My reasoning for all that is quite simple. For me 12 teams is too narrow and gives little room for growth/expansion. With 18 places that means there is enough room for 'traditional' clubs but also allows for expansion into 'new' areas such as a second or third French team, a Welsh team, a Canadian/American team, a non-heartland team, etc, should they become good enough. Also a 12 team league naturally gives a 22 game season which i) isn't really long enough hence the additional games and ii) sticking at 22 games really negates the need for play-offs (play each other twice, job done).

Also not to have promotion/relegation to my mind would be a mistake. It would cut teams off from the top level and ultimately cause them to whither on the vine so-to-speak. Plus having a 'closed shop' isn't the British way. We are not America with franchises, huge collegiate systems and vast distances between teams. We are not Australia, which was based on two large cities of roughly equal standing separated by hundreds of miles with RL being the dominant code of football in each.

So they you go FI - I shall stand back and await the pooh-pooh!

Pretty much my suggestion when we did a show on formats

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

i like the 18 team have stated this in the passed. I would go all playing each other once for 17 games plus then play half the teams again for another 9 games . That gives each team 13 home games and 13 away. Top 8 make play offs and bottom team relegated. 

Explain how we find 18 teams and it could be a goer. We struggle to fund 12 currently.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 25/10/2022 at 09:05, Fevrover said:

Same as Wakefield Metropolitan, Wakefield, Featherstone, Dewsbury and Castleford. 

Greater Manchester is classed as a County these days. So while Wakey may be a metropolitan borough its still in the County of West Yorkshire just like Leeds, Bradford & Huddersfield are.

Swinton are never going to be a big club again. Even Salford who are named after the city they play in can't attract decent crowds so a small town within the same city has no chance.

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know if Swindon’s fan base now mainly travel from Swinton, or if they’ve attracted many from closer to the ground? 

Dunno that there are many Swindon fans in Swinton.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"