TRL Helpdesk- Nightmares

not been sleeping well for months - woken everynight  with vivid dreams including all sorts of horror and violence - mostly relating to me - had quite a bit of family turmoil and upset recently - any one got any ideas how to get a good nights sleep or what could be the cause of this ? thankyou GJ

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

not been sleeping well for months - woken everynight  with vivid dreams including all sorts of horror and violence - mostly relating to me - had quite a bit of family turmoil and upset recently - any one got any ideas how to get a good nights sleep or what could be the cause of this ? thankyou GJ

The broadcaster Dr Michael Mosley has a series just starting on Radio 4 about getting a decent night's sleep. It might be helpful, it might not, but he's someone with his own long-standing sleep problems. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0d7003n

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The broadcaster Dr Michael Mosley has a series just starting on Radio 4 about getting a decent night's sleep. It might be helpful, it might not, but he's someone with his own long-standing sleep problems. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0d7003n

thanks - am finding waking up from a nightmare comes with firstly relief that it was only a dream then the exhaustion that follows - been unsettled and not been able to get back to sleep 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I had real trouble sleeping for a long time, years in my late teens and 20s. What I did was forced myself to go to bed at the same time every night, get laid down with the light out at the same time, even if I didn't initially get to sleep. This was to tune my body clock into a routine of some kind. I also initially tried emptying my mind of all thoughts like some people tell you to try to do but when that didn't work I started trying to focus my mind on one single thing that I didn't have to think about too much, something that just instinctively came to mind. Back then I was an aspiring novelist and so my head was full of hundreds of characters and stories and I just told myself a story. I still do this to this day, I've reread some of my early novels a million times in my head at night! They're not very good but I know them word for word! 😁

• Like 1

As mad as this sounds, give it a try. Through various things that have happened in my life over the years and more recently waking up for the midnight visit to the toilet I was in your position. Think not of counting sheep jumping over a fence but more of imagining that of one  black faced creature coming towards you in a field.

It works for me, no idea why other than it stops you overthinking and calms you.

Please let me know if it works cos I will write a book about it and make a fortune

Edited by GURNER

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

I sometimes put on an audiobook or drama, with the volume set low. I find that, the more I want to find out what happens next, the more likely I am to drop off.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I sometimes put on an audiobook or drama, with the volume set low. I find that, the more I want to find out what happens next, the more likely I am to drop off.

If im watching my ipad or tv I’ll nod off … and if i switch them off I dont go to sleep ! Keep the tv on and just go to sleep ( or better ipad on the battery )

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If im watching my ipad or tv I’ll nod off … and if i switch them off I dont go to sleep ! Keep the tv on and just go to sleep ( or better ipad on the battery )

You know every night I tend to follow the same routine, read my book for an hour then watch an episode of a comedy on my tablet. Always watch comedy before bed because it will just lift my mood and make me happier as I go to sleep. Until a couple of weeks back I never fell asleep watching my tablet but for some reason did and ended up waking up about an hour and a half later with my head still propped on my hand and laid on my side. Funny little experience that. 

I have a recurring theme in my dreams (every couple of months or so) that my wife is leaving me. Does that classify as a nightmare? 😜

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Without being too personal, if you share your bed with someone, do they notice how you sleep?

There are a few sleep monitoring apps out there, granted to get full coverage and results on display you do have to subscribe to the premium service. I briefly tried 2 different apps and they weren't for me because the basic level didn't tell me anything.

I dislike the term mindfulness but there are some great tools under this heading. It's about learning how to switch off.

I did a course and they described the mind and thoughts like a train going through a station and mindfulness is not getting on the train.

There’s a lot of good advice on here and I would advocate exercise as having psychological as well as physical benefits.

Other things to consider might be breathing exercises, meditation and the use of sound i.e. waves against the beach in a darkened room as oppose to light last thing at night i.e. reading on a tablet or phone.

Hope you find some peace anyway.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref