Elite 1 Players with first grade experience

13 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Do you have any idea how they're thinking of running these clubs?

Will they be stand alone professional clubs with an academy like in SL or like they are now where they run juniors at several age groups like community clubs in the UK?

I have no idea, however i would caution if they did not intend to have junior set ups as the last thing that is needed is a traveling circus.

26 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I have no idea, however i would caution if they did not intend to have junior set ups as the last thing that is needed is a traveling circus.

I agree that all will need juniors but think it would be better if they ran academies with several junior clubs feeding into this

15 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sorry you are asking questions the i dont have the answers to, all i know is what the plans  are and that the FFR feel that without a full time league and the development of the national team then the game will never reach its potential.

No problem. I know you'll keep us informed as it progresses. 🤟

France increasingly appears to be a destination where SH players want to play. What's not to love for a couple of years with accommodation and car provided, and the weather, food, wine and scenery. Even with relatively modest salaries, it's a clear attraction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

France increasingly appears to be a destination where SH players want to play. What's not to love for a couple of years with accommodation and car provided, and the weather, food, wine and scenery. Even with relatively modest salaries, it's a clear attraction.

I think you are right i was talking about this very topic today with a work colleague onwards and upwards:)

Paul

Are there any rumours about the Fifita brothers going to France?

Andrew has always said he's retiring from the NRL, whilst his brother previously played in France. A year or two playing together?

Okay, my 2+2 is equalling 7, but remember, if it happens, you read it here first!!! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Number 16 said:

Are there any rumours about the Fifita brothers going to France?

Andrew has always said he's retiring from the NRL, whilst his brother previously played in France. A year or two playing together?

Okay, my 2+2 is equalling 7, but remember, if it happens, you read it here first!!! 

I think not Andrew looks to have an injury and probably won’t play again but not sure about David. Though I have heard rumours that Ryan James Is very interested and possibly Wade Graham too.

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I think not Andrew looks to have an injury and probably won’t play again but not sure about David. Though I have heard rumours that Ryan James Is very interested and possibly Wade Graham too.

True, but AF has always referenced not being able to play NRL. Elite 1 is tier 3 in Australia at best.

On 25/10/2022 at 15:08, ATLANTISMAN said:

From memory (And this is in early stages) as they are talking to investors.

No particular order

CARCASSONNE

ALBI

TOULOUSE (Possible) 

TOULON

AVIGNON

LYON

PARIS

VILLENEUVE/AGEN 

Cannot remember if BORDEAUX was in there as well.

Is that Toulouse's SL team relocating back to play in France in the new comp?

Whatever happens now and in the future, France should get its Elite 1 and/ or professional league on TV and sell the rights to a pay TV operator like Fox in Australia, which would provide the pay TV operator with rugby league content all through the Australian summer… Just play games at times in France that would be on prime time in Australia if possible.

I know selling these rights would not be much money but it could start a cult following in Australia and just bit by bit you could grow the game in France

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

Whatever happens now and in the future, France should get its Elite 1 and/ or professional league on TV and sell the rights to a pay TV operator like Fox in Australia, which would provide the pay TV operator with rugby league content all through the Australian summer… Just play games at times in France that would be on prime time in Australia if possible.

I know selling these rights would not be much money but it could start a cult following in Australia and just bit by bit you could grow the game in France

My own feeling is that the FFR have to strike a balance in getting this right, if they can create a new professional league with value for TV and investors then its a goer they have to though make sure all the traditional clubs areas juniors etc are on-side.

I think the reality is that the president doesn't see any future for the France national team just relying on 1 SL team and Toulouse for players and without a fully professional league the national team will never progress enough.

As long as there is promotion and relegation to SL then the Aussie etc option will always be the easy way out for the Dragons.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

My own feeling is that the FFR have to strike a balance in getting this right, if they can create a new professional league with value for TV and investors then its a goer they have to though make sure all the traditional clubs areas juniors etc are on-side.

I think the reality is that the president doesn't see any future for the France national team just relying on 1 SL team and Toulouse for players and without a fully professional league the national team will never progress enough.

As long as there is promotion and relegation to SL then the Aussie etc option will always be the easy way out for the Dragons.

A pro league is definitely the way forward, instead of relying on 2 clubs to change the fortunes of RL in a whole country

On 25/10/2022 at 15:40, The Daddy said:

That's a decent list. My reservations though are the stadium in Albi is not good enough. It's a dump. Even watching their games on social media are painful to watch.

Carcassonne's ground needs work and I assume that the Leopards will play at Agen RU's ground? 

I know you never mentioned Villeneuve but they are getting some renovations done on their stadium.

https://treizemondial.fr/le-stade-max-rousie-de-villeneuve-sur-lot-va-etre-renove/

• Like 1

On 26/10/2022 at 10:12, SydneyRoosters said:

This is also true, 625,000k to be shared between 30-35 players is not that much. 

I'm no Mathematician but 625K divided by 33 (Average RU Squad) is around 19k per player (which is also what most websites were saying average pay is like)

If Elite 1 clubs have around the same amount of money and an average rugby league squad is around 26-27 players, Players would receive around 23-24K on average.

Last time I checked 19,000$ isn't triple 23,000$.

Players released from contracts will get paid chomage...i.e. by the state. I believe it is 80% of your last job earnings for a year (I hear they are changing these rules...not sure if it has already been changed). So someone could be released and go to play Elite, the partners put up an apartment and car via the club and the player gets 7 months in the sun playing at a not-too-high-level. 

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I know you never mentioned Villeneuve but they are getting some renovations done on their stadium.

https://treizemondial.fr/le-stade-max-rousie-de-villeneuve-sur-lot-va-etre-renove/

I imagine that they would be playing in Agen in the pro comp based on the list from Atlantisman. 

The Agen stadium is much better developed and has a higher capacity. But good news anyway if Max Rousie is being developed 

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 15:08, ATLANTISMAN said:

From memory (And this is in early stages) as they are talking to investors.

No particular order

CARCASSONNE

ALBI

TOULOUSE (Possible) 

TOULON

AVIGNON

LYON

PARIS

VILLENEUVE/AGEN 

Cannot remember if BORDEAUX was in there as well.

Just one more bit of advice mate. Why Toulon over Marseille? Marseille has a bit of RL history and Provence is one of the strongest areas for RL in France. Recently over 1000 people attended the France v England U17 match in Marseille. Also the areas around Marseille, Avignon and Salon in Provence produce many RL players and in my view this area has produced the best quality players for France, one only has to take a look at the list of players from these areas to see that. Another couple of reasons to focus on Marseille, an Avignon v Marseille Provence derby would be a unique selling point for the comp that could be built up over time and union asides from internationals and European Cup matches don't have a strong presence in Provence. It's a large region of 5 million ripe with opportunities. 

In contrast Toulon is a much smaller city, but there are reasons that the Federation might go for a club in that area, the owner of the RU club has openly confessed to being a RL fan and there have even been rumours that he would start a RL club. There are a few more stadia in Toulon suitable to playing RU whereas in Marseille I struggle to think of any. 

• Like 1

I have already explained it several times here but the French sports and political system is completely different from the English system.

the current Elite1 championship as a semi-amateur competition depends on the support of the mayors.  if we want to change the system either we will have to have clubs representing the community of municipalities / agglomeration or find 1 very rich patron in each city.  if this constraint is carried out, remains the problem of the players.  French rugby league does not have enough young players without forgetting that to create teams in cities where there is nothing like Bordeaux or Toulon, we will also have to find volunteers!

wanting to create a professionnal championship from scratch is a negation of French sporting history and for me a utopian challenge.

a year or two ago you published promotional newspaper articles praising the famous Montpellier Sharks, I invite you instead to come and see how a real club works in France

• Like 1

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

4 minutes ago, fcl said:

I have already explained it several times here but the French sports and political system is completely different from the English system.

the current Elite1 championship as a semi-amateur competition depends on the support of the mayors.  if we want to change the system either we will have to have clubs representing the community of municipalities / agglomeration or find 1 very rich patron in each city.  if this constraint is carried out, remains the problem of the players.  French rugby league does not have enough young players without forgetting that to create teams in cities where there is nothing like Bordeaux or Toulon, we will also have to find volunteers!

wanting to create a professionnal championship from scratch is a negation of French sporting history and for me a utopian challenge.

a year or two ago you published promotional newspaper articles praising the famous Montpellier Sharks, I invite you instead to come and see how a real club works in France

So Luc Lacoste is delusional and wasting his time?

I hope he will come up with something and it will work. the previous president also had a crazy project (dayan project).
my feeling is that we must first develop the practice in oil stain from the areas where it is played. it is necessary to target cities with potential and where there is little competition and if possible to develop clubs of city communities. The perfect example would be to develop Salon de Provence and call this team Metropole Provence (it would then represent the metropolis of Marseille).
I am also in favor of the development of a French team in New Caledonia on the model of the PNG Hunters or the Kaiviti Silktails of Fiji

• Like 3

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So Luc Lacoste is delusional and wasting his time?

He's trying but he only realised after a couple of months how big of a job he has to help RL survive and then try to rebuild, 

We work hard over here but there isn't many of us, 

With the small amount of players playing the game in youth rugby the fact that we beat the barla national teams and barla regional teams is amazing, this year in the Occitanie (from Perpignan to Bordeaux) there's two regional divisions of 5 teams  in both the u15s and u17s categories, 5 or 6 teams in paca and that's it, 

There's more teams in Wigan and St Helens at u15s and  u17s than there is in the whole of France in the same age categories!!! 

Edited by barnyia