World Club Challenge (Merged Threads)

Now on the one hand while it seems good that this match may take place the attitude just stinks in my opinion. If this match is played at Penrith and is simply being treated as no more than a trial game, with star names rested and youngsters played, then I see little point in it taking place at all. Saints win and it's a hollow victory and easily dismissed, Penrith win and SL is ridiculed. This is not what a World Club Challenge should be:

Premiers Penrith are about to be given the green light to host the highly anticipated World Club Challenge against Super League champions St Helens.

After COVID-19 forced the concept to be abandoned for the past couple of years, league officials on both sides of the globe have worked hard to make sure the game proceeds next February.

Penrith officials had no appetite to drag some of their stars to the other side of the world because so many of them are already playing in the World Cup in Britain.

St Helens, who have won the Super League four years in a row, can instead look forward to swapping the end of the European winter for potentially blistering February heat in Penrith in what will now essentially double as Penrith’s second trial.

Panthers boss Brian Fletcher told the Herald he had learned of St Helens’ visit on Monday after initially thinking the game would be spiked yet again.

Because stars such as Nathan Cleary, Isaah Yeo and Liam Martin are expected to feature all the way through to the November 20 final with Cup favourites Australia, their extended break means they are expected to play limited minutes – if at all – against Saints at BlueBet Stadium. The game will also be televised.

“It would have been impossible for us to go over there, but talk of them coming out here is excellent,” Fletcher said.

“We’ve only got word today that our second trial, instead of being against another NRL side, the NRL are investigating how they can bring St Helens to Sydney.

“The plan will be to play the game a week before the start of the NRL competition.

“We’d love for it to happen. It will be a great game for our fans out at Penrith, it will be great for the area, it’s something different, and it will also give some of our younger boys the chance to have a run against a quality side.”

NRL 2023: Penrith to host St Helens in Word Club Challenge reboot (smh.com.au)

Edited by Damien
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Now on the one hand while it seems good that this match may take place the attitude just stinks in my opinion. If this match is played at Penrith and is simply being treated as no more than a trial game, with star names rested and youngsters played, then I see little point in it taking place at all. Saints win and it's a hollow victory and easily dismissed, Penrith win and SL is ridiculed. This is not what a World Club Challenge should be:

Premiers Penrith are about to be given the green light to host the highly anticipated World Club Challenge against Super League champions St Helens.

After COVID-19 forced the concept to be abandoned for the past couple of years, league officials on both sides of the globe have worked hard to make sure the game proceeds next February.

Penrith officials had no appetite to drag some of their stars to the other side of the world because so many of them are already playing in the World Cup in Britain.

St Helens, who have won the Super League four years in a row, can instead look forward to swapping the end of the European winter for potentially blistering February heat in Penrith in what will now essentially double as Penrith’s second trial.

Panthers boss Brian Fletcher told the Herald he had learned of St Helens’ visit on Monday after initially thinking the game would be spiked yet again.

Because stars such as Nathan Cleary, Isaah Yeo and Liam Martin are expected to feature all the way through to the November 20 final with Cup favourites Australia, their extended break means they are expected to play limited minutes – if at all – against Saints at BlueBet Stadium. The game will also be televised.

“It would have been impossible for us to go over there, but talk of them coming out here is excellent,” Fletcher said.

“We’ve only got word today that our second trial, instead of being against another NRL side, the NRL are investigating how they can bring St Helens to Sydney.

“The plan will be to play the game a week before the start of the NRL competition.

“We’d love for it to happen. It will be a great game for our fans out at Penrith, it will be great for the area, it’s something different, and it will also give some of our younger boys the chance to have a run against a quality side.”

Whatever the result and excuses after the match the record books will state who was the best Rugby team on the planet. 

We think Penrith will beat a very hood Saints team, everyone says so but in 10 years time opinions won't count the record books will. Penrith have never won it so have never been classed as the best team - its up to them if they want a legacy like say the Roosters or Wigan.

I think Saints have a very good chance so hopefully it gets played.

• Like 1

The usual Aussie thing of: "If we take part it has to be:

Our stadium, our choice of date, our choice of ref and touch judges, our choice of ball etc.

Why do I always feel they think they are doing us a favour by participating?

Edited by Rioman
add a word.
  • Like 5

I have some sympathy with Penrith not wanting their players to have to come back to England again after a long World Cup.

But the way they have framed this as a 'second trial game' should see St Helen's politely decline. It is very disrespectful.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Rioman said:

The usual Aussie thing of: "If we take part it has to be:

Our stadium, our choice of date, our choice of ref and touch judges, our choice of ball etc.

Why do I always feel they think they are doing us a favour by participating?

Because they are.

Until we start beating them, we can't really moan. Other than the moral, good of the sport argument*, we don't have a leg to stand on.

*Currently, if the powers that be don't agree that this is in the calendar, then why should the clubs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

We get ridiculed because we deserve to be. Instead of telling them to shove it, we will go.

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

I have some sympathy with Penrith not wanting their players to have to come back to England again after a long World Cup.

But the way they have framed this as a 'second trial game' should see St Helen's politely decline. It is very disrespectful.

Absolutely. If I was Saints I'd be saying screw you.

If this match isn't going to be taken seriously and treated as a big game event then it is pointless. It is simply not a World Club Challenge if it is treated in the way that Penrith are and doesn't do the name of the match justice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see Saints stuff them, but if Penrith are publicly touting it as a pre-season trial for young players to impress, then I think the English team should decline the invitation - and state their reasons for doing so.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'd love to see Saints stuff them, but if Penrith are publicly touting it as a pre-season trial for young players to impress, then I think the English team should decline the invitation - and state their reasons for doing so.

I completely agree.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Because they are.

Until we start beating them, we can't really moan. Other than the moral, good of the sport argument*, we don't have a leg to stand on.

*Currently, if the powers that be don't agree that this is in the calendar, then why should the clubs?

We do have to start beating them to earn the respect at all levels down there.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JefferyLFC said:

So be it if Saints have to go over there. Can only see a 30/40 point wolloping on a good day for Saints sadly.

Any team with Makemson, Roby, Walmsley, Welsby, Lomax etc in should be respected and as this WC has proved are as good if not better than some of the Penrith team.

The thing that could clinch it may be the Aussies home advantage but Saints do have a chance as they are a very very good team - to dismiss them is crazy. 

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

It would be a preseason friendly if they lose mate - look for the boasts of - best team in the world if they win.... Penrith don't have a great record against SL teams even when they send their best team. 

3 hours ago, Damien said:

It's been suggested elsewhere to play it in a neutral venue somewhere between Australia and the UK and chase the corporate dollar

36 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

It's been suggested elsewhere to play it in a neutral venue somewhere between Australia and the UK and chase the corporate dollar

The sport fails to sell out the CC Final and NRL Semi Finals. What chances are there of filling an oval in Bombay?

42 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

That is always suggested. Its pretty hard to even attempt that when one team openly boasts of treating it as a pre-season trial match and says they will rest players and play youngsters. Less a big event World Club Challenge, more a pre-season friendly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

That is always suggested. Its pretty hard to even attempt that when one team openly boasts of treating it as a pre-season trial match and says they will rest players and play youngsters. Less a big event World Club Challenge, more a pre-season friendly. 

Aussie Rugby League fears anything that in the long term might undermine SOO, hence it's lukewarm reaction to international Rugby League. An England victory at this world cup would send the ARLC into a tail spin

• Like 2

A second week trial game for the Panthers to give some of their players a run out…. yeah sure we should come over seeing as you’re giving it such a star-studded billing!

I shouldn’t be surprised but somehow am always surprised at the peak patronising and condescending level the Aussies see us  🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

At the minute, it is literally only played one side takes on all the risks and the other is guaranteed a pay day (this is, obviously, usually the UK team taking on the risks). Even then it is always a slog to get over the line and make happen.

There is no way a 'meet in Singapore' option is going to happen for a long, long time, if at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Indeed. It is a completely unnecessary thing to say to completely undermine a game for no benefit in the slightest. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Damien said:

They may as well just say they don't want to play.

Saints should play the game, win it and fly out of Oz as World Champions.

Name in the record books again and all the talk about Penrith being the best team of the past 10 years means nothing as history will show Saints were the better team.

Its Australias mentality not to embrace concepts like this as they are used to being ignored on the world stage.

• Like 1