World Club Challenge (Merged Threads)

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Saints should play the game, win it and fly out of Oz as World Champions.

Name in the record books again and all the talk about Penrith being the best team of the past 10 years means nothing as history will show Saints were the better team.

Its Australias mentality not to embrace concepts like this as they are used to being ignored on the world stage.

The history books don't pay the bills.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Saints should play the game, win it and fly out of Oz as World Champions.

Name in the record books again and all the talk about Penrith being the best team of the past 10 years means nothing as history will show Saints were the better team.

Its Australias mentality not to embrace concepts like this as they are used to being ignored on the world stage.

And it would count for nothing. If it isn't to be taken seriously then there is no point doing it. It also has to pay as an event and if Penrith don't care then there is little chance of that happening.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The history books don't pay the bills.

This will/should determine whether Saints go over or not. It should be a similar reciprocal deal to the NRL clubs coming over here. If there is the faintest chance of Saints losing money (which is very possible given the 'marketing' Penrith will likely give it) then they should say no. 

• Like 1

I've always loved the World Club Challenge. Would be a massive shame if it was to be binned. 

I think an international tournament featuring NRL, Super League, Elite One Championship and other clubs from international leagues would be brilliant, but can never see it happening. Even a tournament featuring the best youngsters would appeal to me. 

22 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if it's the week before the start of the NRL season - the panthers big guns will be playing - don't worry about that 

Indeed - it would be saints who would be missing most of our big guns for more legitimate reasons.

Penrith really are an ugly, classless rugby club.

• Like 2

I don't get why everyone gets so worked up. Its only a competition akin to the Super Cup, Charity Shield or the FIFA club world cup etc...

Just like those games, its a bit of fun but ultimately worthless. Doesn't mean it should be scrapped though. 

It doesn't need to be the greatest achievement in RL it can just be what it is. Which is an exhibition with some silverware at the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I don't get why everyone gets so worked up. Its only a competition akin to the Super Cup, Charity Shield or the FIFA club world cup etc...

Just like those games, its a bit of fun but ultimately worthless. Doesn't mean it should be scrapped though. 

It doesn't need to be the greatest achievement in RL it can just be what it is. Which is an exhibition with some silverware at the end.

Thata the point - it shouldn’t be comparable to those. And it isn’t when treated with respect.

there have been some magnificent, memorable WCC contests between brilliant teams and it’s a shame we play it down so much.

Watch back the last WCC played and tell me it was akin to footballers walking around in a charity match nobody cares about.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 5

Just now, FearTheVee said:

Thata the point - it shouldn’t be comparable to those. And it isn’t when treated with respect.

there have been some magnificent, memorable WCC contests between brilliant teams and it’s a shame we play it down so much.

Yeah its funny how much derision it gets but when the hooter goes it always a tough game.

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Exactly. Other sports have international club competitions that are huge events and are the biggest thing to win. RL can't even treat a solitary match between the champions of two leagues with the prestige it deserves.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Exactly. Other sports have international club competitions that are huge events and are the biggest thing to win. RL can't even treat a solitary match between the champions of two leagues with the prestige it deserves.

It's because the NRL clubs simply don't consider super league teams as serious opposition. Rightly or wrongly they consider it as very much a second rate competition. 

If they did take them seriously, then clearly the Panthers guy wouldn't be talking about "giving our youngsters a run". 

They don't rate the English teams.  

like players have done in the wc - mainly for pacific islands - they need to put their hand up and say "pick me- I wanna play - i want a wcc winners medal plz "

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, Madrileño said:

It's because the NRL clubs simply don't consider super league teams as serious opposition. Rightly or wrongly they consider it as very much a second rate competition. 

If they did take them seriously, then clearly the Panthers guy wouldn't be talking about "giving our youngsters a run". 

They don't rate the English teams.  

think the term "giving our youngsters a run" refers to the panthers having one or 2 new stars coming through their system who are replacing players that are leaving - have heard these players referred to a few times on nrl commentary this season - they just haven't had the chance to breakthrough yet- I wouldnt worry about the team selection been weak 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

To maximise exposure for the game as a whole this fixture should be played 2 weeks after each hemispheres Grand Finals to determine that years World Champions

Alternate hemispheres, some big money and proper marketing it could become huge

Ive enjoyed all the games I’ve been to against NRL clubs ( including the one with all teams involved at the start of super league).  It’s a shame that self interest always comes first

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Current tally is 14 aussie wins 13 UK wins. Majority of games played in UK. Only UK win down under was Wigan beating Broncos.

Sorry I mean England beating Australia generally not just SL beating NRL opposition.

I suspect the proud record of wins for us haven’t really occurred recently.

I take your point that Widnes, Wigan and Saints have had some success historically.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry I mean England beating Australia generally not just SL beating NRL opposition.

I suspect the proud record of wins for us haven’t really occurred recently.

I take your point that Widnes, Wigan and Saints have had some success historically.

OK get your point….we have been through quite a few prime ministers since we last beat the Aussies. In fact we have been through some since we last beat France😊

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

A bit like origin then.

• 2 weeks later...