World Club Challenge (Merged Threads)

53 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I'm sure there was a story about Tomkins at this time - he was with NZ Warriors at the time and was driving alongside the Wigan bus blasting his car horn at them (Wigan players cheering at him) Tomkins then got stopped by the police much to the delight of the Wigan players.... or did I dream that happened....

• John Drake changed the title to World Club Challenge (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Wasn't that the one where Wane used all of his tactical genius against the young Warriors at half time?

Knock people out. I can't give you any more of a free rein than that".  Create f***ing mayhem. Be reckless."

Fast forward that season - Ben Flower explodes at Old Trafford and costs Wane a title.

Maybe he's learned some lessons since then - but it's still partly why I worry about him picking MM in high pressure games.

The other part being that you are massively biased.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

The other part being that you are massively biased.

Maybe.  My post is entrely factual though - Wane is on video sayig those things and later that year a player was reckless in looking to knock someone out and cost his side a final.

I've been very vocal in my praise of Wane, I've wanted him as England coach for a while.  But I've watched MM fail to control himself and losing his focus against Saints time and time again in recent years.  I don't want to see him doing the same against Australia.

I hope I'm completely wrong, but I don't trust MM.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Maybe.  My post is entrely factual though - Wane is on video sayig those things and later that year a player was reckless in looking to knock someone out and cost his side a final.

I've been very vocal in my praise of Wane, I've wanted him as England coach for a while.  But I've watched MM fail to control himself and losing his focus against Saints time and time again in recent years.  I don't want to see him doing the same against Australia.

I hope I'm completely wrong, but I don't trust MM.

MM isn’t Ben Flower though is he?

What Flower did has absolutely no relevance to how Micky will play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

MM isn’t Ben Flower though is he?

What Flower did has absolutely no relevance to how Micky will play.

I haven’t said he is.  That’s why I referenced MM in his games against Saints - Catalans biggest rivals for success - in recent times.  He’s had his usual unhinged momenta where he can’t help himself.

I’m sure he’ll be fine but I can well see a situation where the Aussies get to him and he does something stupid. 

Edited by FearTheVee

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Penrith's grievances with the NRL about Grand Final prize money are nothing to do with the WCC. It's just more ways of looking to get out of this.

Saints just need to tell Penrith to do one. Penrith are treating the WCC with contempt and unless it is being treated with the prestige it deserves then it's pretty pointless holding it in my opinion.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Is there a club with less class in RL?

Nope !!!

Said it many times on here before, there are some NRL clubs & coaches who respect SL and its clubs and jump at the opportunity to play in the WCC. Roosters, Bronco's, Bunnies, Storm have all spoken highly of the WCC in the past and of just how much their players enjoyed the experience of playing in it.

The Penrith pussies on the other hand have shown it nothing but disrespect - maybe its because they've lost every time they've played in it previously ?. They made every excuse they could not to play in it last year. Then this year they try to make out they really want to play in it, but behind the scenes they've blamed Saints, the RFL, the NRL in fact just about everyone for not making it happen so far. They've got their own way of playing it when they want, at the venue they want with Saints disrupting their SL season to fly over, now they've come up with yet another excuse not to play. They really are pathetic !!

Edited by Saint Toppy

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, St Reatham said:

Penrith are obviously running scared 😄

To be fair SL clubs have smashed them in their other 2 WCC appearances - maybe they are scared. They are a better team than Saints but Saints are a very very good team so maybe they are just a little scared of losing to a SL club again. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No because Saints wouldn´t be asking for 300,000 grand. It would actually be a nice link up with French RL. 

And how would the French feel? That we were patronising them by sending an academy team to play their champions? I'm all for link ups with the French but it is incredibly patronising to send a B team of the SL champions to play the French champions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

F*** them off Saints. We don’t need the WCC over here. We really don’t. It’s just our fascination of everything Australian. Focus on getting our house in order properly, investing in our strategic interests, and improving ourselves. 

I think we need it, as rl offers very few International opportunities to players. 
They don't have European club competition as there are in football or rugby union. 
With very few International rl being played (and not all players get to play at test level), I think the WCC it's a big event for players. 

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

2 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

I think we need it, as rl offers very few International opportunities to players. 
They don't have European club competition as there are in football or rugby union. 
With very few International rl being played (and not all players get to play at test level), I think the WCC it's a big event for players. 

My favourite club match of the year - even better when a SL club wins.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

The 3 match series a while back was banging. Shame it looks like we won't get back to that.