Free international RL at Fev this Thursday

They set off from Rio yesterday, so won't have had much time to recover from jetlag. Some impressive athletes in the squad - I doubt many squads will match them for speed and strength. It's the RL skills, tactical nous, organisation & teamwork where they might struggle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

How many away supporters are they going to bring? Lol. 

If the young ladies I saw wearing Brasil RL gear at Kingston Park are typical, I very much doubt there will be any complaints about the away support...

• Haha 2

Bumping to the top. The Brazil team appear to be doing a training session at Hunslet this morning head of this game.

If you turn up early tonight, PNG Orchids are having an opposed session against Featherstone Rovers at 5:30pm. (The Womens team, presumably...)

Half time Brazil 0 France 12

Brazilians look pretty uncertain about everything. Understandable.

Two of their players taken off. Both looked to be HIAs.

Ref has kept up all the usual patter. Neither side will have much idea what the heck he`s on about. Wonder what`s Portuguese for "MOVE" or "Get yer eds in".

Ref is also one of these who seems to think a fumble in any direction is a knock-on. Hope to God we`re not cursed with this in the tournament. Won`t help it as a spectacle.

• Like 2

It's the same refereeing panel as the male tournament, isn't it? Certainly think this game will help Brazil. Maybe some advantage to playing England first too, as it gives the a chance to gel, get used to refereeing etc. before the more winnable games against Canada & PNG.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

I think Brasil are doing amazingly well seeing as this is only their second ever international (I think that's right?). France really not looking any great shakes. Enjoying it all so far.

So did Brazil get put in the WC without ever having played an international game? 

4 hours ago, JonM said:

They beat Argentina.

The previous, now rebel Argentina at that.

They are ranked and made a world cup before playing a single match against ranked opponents.

It's not what you know but who.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

So did Brazil get put in the WC without ever having played an international game? 

The selection process around the competing nations for the women's tournament was always a little ... odd.

Brazil were a lot better than I thought they'd be given their lack of any kind of competitive RL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The selection process around the competing nations for the women's tournament was always a little ... odd.

Brazil were a lot better than I thought they'd be given their lack of any kind of competitive RL.

So are they all just Union players? Or is there domestic women’s League? 

3 minutes ago, Sammo said:

So are they all just Union players? Or is there domestic women’s League? 

There's been a small domestic comp for a couple of years now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959