Tuesday 25 October: PNG vs Cook Islands KO 19:30 BST

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

So, I am back to my first question.  Whose interpretations are we using for this tournament?

International.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Player of the Match - one option.

Man of the Match, Woman of the Match, Man or Woman of the Match - three options.

Now, which were you saying was simpler?

You think differentiating between men and women is complicated? Ok your call.

It doesn't mean disrespect to treat things like the PDRL differently, because they are different - absolutely worth respect and super competitions- but different 

There is absolutely nothing complicated or disrespectful about it, except possibly in your head. 

1 minute ago, The Masked Poster said:

You think differentiating between men and women is complicated? Ok your call.

It doesn't mean disrespect to treat things like the PDRL differently, because they are different - absolutely worth respect and super competitions- but different 

There is absolutely nothing complicated or disrespectful about it, except possibly in your head. 

Whatevs, snowflake

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I think you are the one trying to complicate things. Man of match or Woman of match. It literally doesn't get any simpler.

Last week he nearly said man of the match but corrected himself. There would have been no need to do this if it he had the option of using either.

Therefore I doubt it's used because it is easier. 

I've no issue either way,  but I think it's best to be upfont about such changes. 

Edited by Niels

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Whatevs, snowflake

I’ve noticed as well in Wikipedia they have gone back and changed them to player of the match. Infuriating , changing history to suit , don’t know who’s doing it , example below , fairly sure it would have been MoM in 1977

25 June
Australia 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s 13–12 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Great Britain
Tries:
Allan McMahon
Russel Gartner
John Kolc
Goals:
Michael Cronin(2/4)
[1] Tries: 
Steve Pitchford 
Ken Gill 

Goals: 
George Fairbairn(3/4)
Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
Attendance: 24,457
Referee: Billy Thompson England
Player of the Match: John Kolc Australian colours.svg

5 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I’ve noticed as well in Wikipedia they have gone back and changed them to player of the match. Infuriating , changing history to suit , don’t know who’s doing it , example below , fairly sure it would have been MoM in 1977

25 June
Australia 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s 13–12 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Great Britain
Tries:
Allan McMahon
Russel Gartner
John Kolc
Goals:
Michael Cronin(2/4)
[1] Tries: 
Steve Pitchford 
Ken Gill 

Goals: 
George Fairbairn(3/4)
Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
Attendance: 24,457
Referee: Billy Thompson England
Player of the Match: John Kolc Australian colours.svg

You can check the edits to see who is doing it and you can change them back yourself if you feel it is important enough.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, and I am saying that common sense is using the sensible term 'player of the match' across the board.

I see your point. I also don't see what is so hard about changing the term "X of the Y" and why it is insulting to have different ones for different situations. 

Brother, I just want one big happy family but I still don't see why it's so difficult to have different things for different situations. 

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I see your point. I also don't see what is so hard about changing the term "X of the Y" and why it is insulting to have different ones for different situations. 

Brother, I just want one big happy family but I still don't see why it's so difficult to have different things for different situations. 

If you want one big happy family then avoid confusion, be nice and avoid looking silly by calling a bloke a women of the match because you had just switched from commentating on a women's game game to a men's game.

It works both way around. Just imagine Jim Mills coming off the field and accidently being met with "congratulations Jim you have won the woman of the match award".

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

If you want one big happy family then avoid confusion, be nice and avoid looking silly by calling a bloke a women of the match because you had just switched from commentating on a women's game game to a men's game.

It works both way around. Just imagine Jim Mills coming off the field and accidently being met with "congratulations Jim you have won the woman of the match award".

Yes of course you have a point. But until the day arrives that men and women are genuinely equal in sport, then I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that men are the dominant force in sports like rugby (both) or football. So I don't think it's too unrealistic to assume Jim Mills was a man and say he's MOTM. 

UNLESS of course you're trying to bring some sort of Dr Who style time warp into effect here, where we rewrite things? 

But from what I'm gathering on here, I don't think it's too far from possibility.

49 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You can check the edits to see who is doing it and you can change them back yourself if you feel it is important enough.

You lost me at check the edits 😂. I’m just about capable of sending an email. I must say though it is important whatever is decided from this point on ok but to go back in history to change matches is just wrong .

37 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Yes of course you have a point. But until the day arrives that men and women are genuinely equal in sport, then I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that men are the dominant force in sports like rugby (both) or football. So I don't think it's too unrealistic to assume Jim Mills was a man and say he's MOTM. 

UNLESS of course you're trying to bring some sort of Dr Who style time warp into effect here, where we rewrite things? 

But from what I'm gathering on here, I don't think it's too far from possibility.

Football  codes are 3 in the UK, soccer is one one of the 3.

Men and women are equal in society, sport is an extension of society. 

Rugby League has always has always been at the forefront of accepting and including diversity, do you propose we start labelling people as  " the black player", the "white player", "the lesbian player", the....

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

FWIW, the player of the match thing annoys me as well. I'm fully behind trying to even up when it comes to equality etc but it almost feels sometimes that we overdo it to neutralise everything. Men are men and women are women, I don't want a society where we're all the same, we're genetically different and it feels like people are being forced down a route to make us all the same. Let's embrace our differences but also encourage those who feel they don't want to conform to "the norm". Maybe I'm wording it badly as I'm knackered and I've just got back home from a 2 1/2 hour coach journey.

Btw, if I had my time again I'd identify as a tree just to annoy people who wanted to label me as a "person of the match".😁👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

Football  codes are 3 in the UK, soccer is one one of the 3.

Men and women are equal in society, sport is an extension of society. 

Rugby League has always has always been at the forefront of accepting and including diversity, do you propose we start labelling people as  " the black player", the "white player", "the lesbian player", the....

Ok I can see you are approaching this from a ridiculous angle. Because today, almost nobody cares if someone is gay, black, lesbian or anything else. And especially so in Rugby League.

Why would we suddenly start saying "the black player"? 

Please, are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell me that the sport that introduced such genuine (genuine) superstars as Clive Sullivan, Ellery Hanley and Martin Offiah would have to stoop to this? RL needs to prove that it now doesn't treat anyone on merit and not race or religion?  Pathetic and insulting to suggest otherwise.  

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Er. Ok.

I'm a bit intrigued though, why you choose to be so confrontational and aggressive to me. I have no idea who you are and beyond RL, no interest in finding out. 

So maybe wind your neck in.... snowflake?  

I have no idea who you are...

He's our Section Head  of the SJW Brigade of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution .

it doesn't do to cross he/him/his. Look what happened to JK Rowling and Lawrence Fox. 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Step in the right direction last night re the random music in that it only seemed to be used for the longer stoppages. Still needs binning altogether. 

Also please bring back the yellow cards for sin bins.

Other than that enjoyed the game and the contribution of the PNG fans even though I was watching as a neutral.

• Like 1

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

4 hours ago, George Watt said:

At the PTB I have no idea what rule is being used. Seems to be a hybrid model incorporating SL,NRL and the International rules in which touching the ball with the foot is optional.

Lots of things seem optional. Using the ball as a lever to get up at PTB seems fine too. 

7 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I just think it is less clunky and makes things easier all round.

Man of the match is a term that has been around for as long as time.  Woman of the match sounds strange but that is just because it is new.  Both are intrinsically fine though.

The wheelchair version of the sport makes it more complicated though. With mixed teams, if you name the man of the match is that the best male player and you have to name the best female player in that match as well.

I know I am being a bit silly but the whole situation is silly.  Naming the best player in each and every match as the 'player of the match' is just an easy thing to do and shouldn't be in any way controversial. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris