London Amateur Rugby League - Clubs of yesteryear

3 hours ago, Yosser said:

Does anyone remember "Scots Dave" in the late 80's early 90's very tall with long hair and a big beard from Glasgow.

He was forever looking to have a tear up with anyone from Union. I remember a big set to with some union lads on a tube train. You could never accuse Scots Dave of being shy or reluctant to express his opinion.

Sounds like a top guy. Who did he play for?

Streatham Croydon used to play some matches on Clapham Common, i remember around 1981 diving into the corner to score a try on a rainy cold Sunday morning and sliding face down into a huge pile of fresh doggie poo:(

No choice than to pour a bucket of cold water over myself and to make matters worse the showers were broken after the game we all went off to the pub with myself still stinking of s--t:))))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Streatham Croydon used to play some matches on Clapham Common, i remember around 1981 diving into the corner to score a try on a rainy cold Sunday morning and sliding face down into a huge pile of fresh doggie poo:(

No choice than to pour a bucket of cold water over myself and to make matters worse the showers were broken after the game we all went off to the pub with myself still stinking of s--t:))))

The glamour side of RL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

And there I was thinking you'd claim you came out of it smelling of roses! 😜

• Haha 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

On 29/10/2022 at 10:47, Northern Eel said:

Yes, Paddy. Posts on here sometimes…  They we’re a little later on in proceedings. 

Correct, started a fair bit later 2007. Kev Reith was responsible for the setting up of the club. A leeds lad who loved his Rhinos ( although he kept his Bulls academy days under tight wraps 😄)

Sadly folded with a lack of volunteers in 2012, from memory.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 26/10/2022 at 19:06, League of the South said:

Wasn’t it the predominantly Kiwi side South London who played in Herne Hill ? Think they later switched to a ground in Chiswick right near where the professional Fulham side used to play from memory.

I also remember playing for Essex Scimitars against one of the Div 1 sides at Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium as a curtain raiser before London Crusaders played their game afterwards. Ross Strudwick was the Crusaders coach at the time. 

Seemingly we must have been in the same team of Essex Scimitars..I too played in that game at Crystal Palace, my short lived RL career, thinking i was doing alright, as i was smashed by a ex pro from papua new guinea..thatll teach me...I'm currently reminiscing as I've hit 50 now btw. I turned up on a whim as a 10 stone, wet, whippet never having played anything like rugby before, god knows why and what I was thinking...I remember lots of the essex guys..Keith tuscon, ian waldren, beaky, Lee tuscon, Neil, duan booth, ian winstanley, all coached by John threadgold..as I look back I was really looked after, taught everything and coached, mentored and helped by the lads, before I'd even played a game, for weeks, taught how to catch, pass, tackle etc, never did say thanks, so thanks btw, i truly mean that, I went onto play rugby union I think pretty succesfully for many local sides and the grounding and skills I always said came from this couple of seasons.. I wasn't allowed to play at the start, as I was protected by John, who said I wasn't up to it, being 17 and all skin and bone, we were short one week, scored 2 tries, then was in the team as winger every week..I also remember Jason an aussie also very light, and mobile and toughest player I ever played with...not sure if you'll read thos post, but was an interesting read...

I still have my rasta training top, I remember the london vase semi too...

There were some incredible players at that time 

• Like 4