World cup attendance

This is not a moaning post!

Are the crowds listed, tickets sold or scanned at the gate.

I purchased 3 when they can out. Wales v Tonga. Wales v PNG and the Final. However when the year changed I couldn't get the holiday days to warrant driving to and from at Helens in the day. (Monday not decided as Donny is a bit closer)

However on Monday after watching on TV I got an email thanking me for attending. So was I counted as attending?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

I purchased 3 when they can out. Wales v Tonga. Wales v PNG and the Final. However when the year changed I couldn't get the holiday days to warrant driving to and from at Helens in the day. (Monday not decided as Donny is a bit closer)

However on Monday after watching on TV I got an email thanking me for attending. So was I counted as attending?

Tickets sold. The tax man likes it that way too.

26 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Are you sure you didn't go? I'm inclined to believe the IRL.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, crashmon said:

its always tickets sold, and this is not just RL who does this. Common in all sports

Well that’s just as bloody dishonest as our bloody international heritage criteria.

The general public that weren’t watching will no doubt see right through these false attendance figures. 

When will RL administrators learn that they are destroying the planet.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, crashmon said:

its always tickets sold, and this is not just RL who does this. Common in all sports

And yet one of our unofficial targets is based on the women's Euros.

And they did announce lower attendances than tickets sold. For example, the Old Trafford opener had a lower announced crowd than the confirmed sales in advance.

(I noted it because it is unusual. They did it again for the England v USA match where there were a few thousand no shows out of 80,000 ticket sales.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Those are just automated emails from the website sent to all ticket buyers. There's no possible linkage with attendance figures and whether your ticket was actually used. They are not going to get a list of which tickets were and were not used from each separate stadium and key it into a database.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Those are just automated emails from the website sent to all ticket buyers. There's no possible linkage with attendance figures and whether your ticket was actually used. They are not going to get a list of which tickets were and were not used from each separate stadium and key it into a database.

Possibly not the biggest point in the world but it doesn't feel that technologically challenging, nor should it require anyone to key in a list of tickets.

When I scanned the barcode for my ticket at Warrington yesterday, it was presumably authenticated as a real ticket at which point the RLWC2021 ticket organisers should have a message showing I turned up.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

33 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Possibly not the biggest point in the world but it doesn't feel that technologically challenging, nor should it require anyone to key in a list of tickets.

My assumption is that the ticket authentication is done using the stadium's existing system - in some cases built into the turnstiles, in others tickets have been scanned with a phone app, in others stewards have had a handheld device. I doubt those systems are talking directly to the RLWC ticketing database to do any kind of authentication, and I doubt they all store data in the same format or provide the same APIs.

In any case, there's no obvious reason why they'd want to do it. Just sending out an email to your existing database is trivial. As they appear to struggle with the basics of selling tickets and then sending people the number of tickets they actually paid for, I doubt they're spending time coding up stuff like 'don't send the thanks for attending'email to people that bought tickets but didn't show up.'

53 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

When I scanned the barcode for my ticket at Warrington yesterday, it was presumably authenticated as a real ticket at which point the RLWC2021 ticket organisers should have a message showing I turned up.

Did you enjoy seeing Gelling as mad as ever? He was the one shining light in one of Wane’s most dour “win the wrestle” sides…

24 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Did you enjoy seeing Gelling as mad as ever? He was the one shining light in one of Wane’s most dour “win the wrestle” sides…

It's fair to say, given the circumstances of his leaving Warrington, that he received a lukewarm welcome from the local supporters.

He looked like he still had all the skills but perhaps hadn't spent a lot of time on the treadmill as he seemed to be running through treacle when he found a bit of space.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

At Saints for two games they checked my e-tickets on the phone but did not scan them

i am presumably showing as a no show at RLHQ 

23 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

He looked like he still had all the skills but perhaps hadn't spent a lot of time on the treadmill as he seemed to be running through treacle when he found a bit of space.

He'd retired from RL in the early summer, taken up some backroom job with the NZ Warriors. Iro persuaded him to come out of retirement for the world cup. He's flown home now, as he's starting work as a plumber next week.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And yet one of our unofficial targets is based on the women's Euros.

And they did announce lower attendances than tickets sold. For example, the Old Trafford opener had a lower announced crowd than the confirmed sales in advance.

(I noted it because it is unusual. They did it again for the England v USA match where there were a few thousand no shows out of 80,000 ticket sales.)

Without looking into it, were most of those corporate returned tickets immediately prior to the event. Ie they were never actually sold.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Without looking into it, were most of those corporate returned tickets immediately prior to the event. Ie they were never actually sold.

I suspect some of them were that and some of them were cheaper ones bought a year plus out from the tournament that people's changed circumstances meant they didn't then take up or feel they wanted to go through the hassle of selling on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Gav Wilson said:

He also admitted in court to punching his wife in the face several times.

I take your point  . I’m just commenting on how he comes across on TV I know little of the case other than he was acquitted, so I will avoid disagreement as I’m not able to discuss with you from a place of knowledge of the case on my part . 

On 26/10/2022 at 10:00, Sports Prophet said:

Well that’s just as bloody dishonest as our bloody international heritage criteria.

The general public that weren’t watching will no doubt see right through these false attendance figures. 

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH

"False attendance figures"  Where's the link to back up your claim

• Haha 1

On 26/10/2022 at 10:00, Sports Prophet said:

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH

So, you make a claim about false attendance figures, but can't back it up with the link

Like "midland hobo"  I am not going to be able to get to the Quarter-final at Wigan next Saturday, coutesy of the RMT . So I suspect I may also get an automated e-mail which is actually common practice.

As to whether it is tickets sold or actual bodies at the game, it varies within sports depending on the organisation / club. I can certainly recall being at a late season LA Kings Ice Hockey game at the Staples Centre when en route down under one year, where it was half-full in the arena but a sell-out reported in the press so seeing is not always believing..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 26/10/2022 at 13:11, JonM said:

My assumption is that the ticket authentication is done using the stadium's existing system - in some cases built into the turnstiles, in others tickets have been scanned with a phone app, in others stewards have had a handheld device. I doubt those systems are talking directly to the RLWC ticketing database to do any kind of authentication, and I doubt they all store data in the same format or provide the same APIs.

In any case, there's no obvious reason why they'd want to do it. Just sending out an email to your existing database is trivial. As they appear to struggle with the basics of selling tickets and then sending people the number of tickets they actually paid for, I doubt they're spending time coding up stuff like 'don't send the thanks for attending'email to people that bought tickets but didn't show up.'

All of the turnstiles at each venue are linked directly to the Ticketmaster system which is why you can still buy from the RLWC website right up until kick off (and also why venues were waiting for RLWC laptops to access Ticketmaster for in-person sales)

• Thanks 1