1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Greece by 1 to 6 points
    • Greece by 7 to 12 points
    • Greece by 13 points or more.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/22 at 14:00

The final scoreline was a bit mad considering that after 25 minutes there was only one score in it. 84 points in 55 minutes is really going some. We won't have learned much really but it's never a bad thing to rack up some points and get some confidence flowing. We have done everything required of us in the group's. On to the serious stuff now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Too complicated for me, Benny Hill rules OK

Ah, but Benny Hill was a master of the double entendre. 

He could always be relied upon to knock one out, no matter how hard it was.

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Tricky position re halves going forward.

I don't think so. Peacock and Graham nailed it in the studio afterwards. Sneyd played well today, but it's a different species of game than we'll get in the finals. There, defence will matter more, and there's no way we'll be putting in a bunch of chipkicks on the 3rd tackle, which look great against Greece. And while Sneyd's kicking is good, Makinson can also kick pretty well. Halves have to be Williams and Welsby for me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think he has been ok so far.

Knowles is a better all round player but needs to get onto the pitch more to prove it. 

Think Englands best players so far have been - Williams, Young, Hill Burgess.

Good signs though especially if Tomkins hits his best form.

Ok so far 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Roy Haggerty said:

I don't think so. Peacock and Graham nailed it in the studio afterwards. Sneyd played well today, but it's a different species of game than we'll get in the finals. There, defence will matter more, and there's no way we'll be putting in a bunch of chipkicks on the 3rd tackle, which look great against Greece. And while Sneyd's kicking is good, Makinson can also kick pretty well. Halves have to be Williams and Welsby for me.

It is in the tighter games that I think the long kicking game of Sneyd will be more valuable though.  One's where we can't just roll down field every set.  Williams and Welsby have good short kicking games but Sneyd's long game is much better.

I do agree though that Wane will default back to Williams and Welsby.  I think he has to after their performance against Samoa.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It is in the tighter games that I think the long kicking game of Sneyd will be more valuable though.  One's where we can't just roll down field every set.  Williams and Welsby have good short kicking games but Sneyd's long game is much better.

I do agree though that Wane will default back to Williams and Welsby.  I think he has to after their performance against Samoa.

Who is more likely to nail a 40/20?

Who is more likely to nail pens and conversions?

Who is more likely to nail the winning dg?

Who has a short, medium and long kicking game?

Sneyd needs to be on the bench at least to offer a change if the Williams/Welsby combo isnt working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, jacksy said:

Sneyd needs to be on the bench at least to offer a change if the Williams/Welsby combo isnt working.

I don't think you can carry a half on the bench... you need physical impact from the bench.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think you can carry a half on the bench... you need physical impact from the bench.

I'd rather Sneyd in personally. We could run with a half on bench. Its not unheard of and our forwards are pretty much 80m boys.

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

5 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Makinson issn outstanding goal kicker & Tomkins has a decent long/medium kicking game& there are a few options to nail a clutchDG so I’m happy for Wane to go Williams/Welsby despite Sneyd having a great game today,I can’t see him getting a bench spot either.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Makinson issn outstanding goal kicker & Tomkins has a decent long/medium kicking game& there are a few options to nail a clutchDG so I’m happy for Wane to go Williams/Welsby despite Sneyd having a great game today,I can’t see him getting a bench spot either.

Disagree i dont think Tomkins or Williams kicking game is better. Its a mute argument anyway, because you are correct Wane will go W/W

3 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Disagree i dont think Tomkins or Williams kicking game is better. Its a mute argument anyway, because you are correct Wane will go W/W

Didn’t say they were better but Tomkins at FB offers a kicking option that allows Wane to play Williams & Welsby,but Sneyd did his future selection chances no harm today with his top drawer effort.

• Like 2

Yes, that was a thumping but Greece earned their place at the tournament and have hopefully inspired another group of kids to have a go at this game.

Is that the perfect formula? Possibly not, but it absolutely justified the expanded World Cup for me and the emotion on some of the Greek players faces says it all. I would have loved to have been good enough at anything to play for England - I wasn’t. Good on them for being good enough to represent Greece. 

And I would love to go to Athens for a World Cup final!!

• Like 3

On 27/10/2022 at 09:47, JefferyLFC said:

Eng 92-4

5 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Was this prediction the closest of the lot?

2 points out.  Should be ashamed of himself.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think he has been ok so far.

Knowles is a better all round player but needs to get onto the pitch more to prove it. 

Think Englands best players so far have been - Williams, Young, Hill Burgess.

Good signs though especially if Tomkins hits his best form.

Knowles is a good player but he isn’t as good as Radley. I know our commentators (especially Wilkin) constantly try to big Knowles up but he isn’t as good. Radleys all round game is a lot better and he offers a lot more.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Patwigaw

23 minutes ago, 7723 said:

Knowles is a good player but he isn’t as good as Radley. I know our commentators (especially Wilkin) constantly try to big Knowles up but he isn’t as good. Radleys all round game is a lot better and he offers a lot more.

Radley is a fantastic player, proper old school 13.

• Like 6

Had a good day out at Bramall Lane this afternoon. I thought Burgess and Hill in particular were excellent, alongside another really strong performance from Williams. Hill really has played himself into contention for a spot in the later rounds, despite many thinking he might not be up to it.

Crowd was ok and our band of 90 supporters from the club had a positive experience.

I am trying to tally where we are with regards to matching up to the other fancied team. In years gone by, we would have puffed and panted to wins against France and Samoa and perhaps put 50 on Greece, but there's some flair in this side that we have not seen for a while.

I am genuinely excited about what this team can produce (if they can sort out their discipline around the ruck).

• Like 6