1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 7 to 12 points
    • Italy by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/22 at 19:00

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

It is, but Australia have hardly made themselves the darlings of international rugby league over the past couple of years.

So the reaction to them not playing is to not watch them when they play ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sorry but i agree it really is with Big Mal and The Kangaroos team in town

I don't know what more we should have expected. 3 games in St Helens and 3 in Warrington. You can't keep expecting the same people to fork out all that money to see every game.

Some of the "Lesser" games should have been played in other stadiums in locations with strong RL support that don't often get the chance to see games of this calibre.

The stadium choices have been a shambles.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I don't know what more we should have expected. 3 games in St Helens and 3 in Warrington. You can't keep expecting the same people to fork out all that money to see every game.

Some of the "Lesser" games should have been played in other stadiums in locations with strong RL support that don't often get the chance to see games of this calibre.

I agree with you.

Australia v Italy at say Batley I am sure would have been a near capacity. Seeing the Australians play in the town would have attracted enormous interest also.

That's probably very fanciful but I think lesser games as you suggest, would be quite reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Niels said:

I agree with you.

Australia v Italy at say Batley I am sure would have been a near capacity. Seeing the Australians play in the town would have attracted enormous interest also.

That's probably very fanciful but I think lesser games as you suggest, would be quite reasonable.

It’s a farce mate. In addition to the above we’ve had 4 games in Newcastle and 3 in Doncaster.

What’s Cumbria done wrong? How on Earth does Doncaster warrant 3 games and Cumbria none? And Middlesborough? I’m sorry but I really can’t work that one out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just got back from the match. Great effort from Italy, lovely to see them push the ball and have a dig, Australia were always going to be too good.

Have to say that although the attendance looked more than officially announced, to have the stadium announcer praising the ‘wonderful’ attendance was pitiful. I am sure there will be plenty of reasons given for the low number but something somewhere is wrong when we can’t fill stadiums in the heartlands. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Just got back from the match. Great effort from Italy, lovely to see them push the ball and have a dig, Australia were always going to be too good.

Have to say that although the attendance looked more than officially announced, to have the stadium announcer praising the ‘wonderful’ attendance was pitiful. I am sure there will be plenty of reasons given for the low number but something somewhere is wrong when we can’t fill stadiums in the heartlands. 

I’m sure we could have filled plenty stadiums in the heartlands, we just didn’t need 6 games at two stadiums 9 miles apart.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I’m sure we could have filled plenty stadiums in the heartlands, we just didn’t need 6 games at two stadiums 9 miles apart.

Yes, I wouldn’t disagree with that. That was why I was saying that  something is wrong, whether pricing or location. I don’t have the answers Jim, and I think you make a good point. I just think it is a crying shame that the effort these lads are putting in isn’t getting the crowds it deserves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Yes, I wouldn’t disagree with that. That was why I was saying that  something is wrong, whether pricing or location. I don’t have the answers Jim, and I think you make a good point. I just think it is a crying shame that the effort these lads are putting in isn’t getting the crowds it deserves.

For me it’s a combination of both. If you really want to spread the word then don’t charge the Earth for potential long term customers to see the game.

However, I still think a great chance was missed to play some games in more traditional locations to full houses.

By all means play a game in Newcastle, but 4 games? Behave.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Agree 100%, not sure why stadiums like York haven’t been used.

Spread the fixtures around and give those places chance to market a one off experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5500 was a shocking attendance but for the reasons above fully understandable 

I agree with promoting the game in the NE but 4 games?

why didn’t Fiji play in Rochdale where there is a big Fijian community and loads of publicity last time

Ticket prices a big problem for some games.  Website ridiculous telling you certain tickets not available when on the night the bank of seats empty

on the positive got to have a few words with boyhood hero Mal Meninga.  Top bloke and legend.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, headtackle said:

5500 was a shocking attendance but for the reasons above fully understandable 

I agree with promoting the game in the NE but 4 games?

why didn’t Fiji play in Rochdale where there is a big Fijian community and loads of publicity last time

Ticket prices a big problem for some games.  Website ridiculous telling you certain tickets not available when on the night the bank of seats empty

on the positive got to have a few words with boyhood hero Mal Meninga.  Top bloke and legend.  

I personally don’t think the ticket prices are as big a problem as the stadium choices, people will pay £25 - £75 for a ticket but not 3 times in two weeks

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And have you forgot 3 games at Leigh plus 1 at Bolton and next week at the Piedome.

No, I haven’t forgotten about those at all. 

I’m not sure Leigh should have had 3 games but I have no issue with 1 game in Bolton and 1 Game in Wigan.

I have described my real issues in my posts above. I would be very interested to hear people’s thoughts on the process that decided Doncaster is such a high potential area it warranted having 3 group games there. Similarly Newcastle. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I’m not sure Leigh should have had 3 games but I have no issue with 1 game in Bolton and 1 Game in Wigan.

I have described my real issues in my posts above. I would be very interested to hear people’s thoughts on the process that decided Doncaster is such a high potential area it warranted having 3 group games there. Similarly Newcastle. 

Doncaster, Leigh, Saints and Warrington should have had one game and that’s it.

Not so much of an issue with Newcastle as they’ve held up ok.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I personally don’t think the ticket prices are as big a problem as the stadium choices, people will pay £25 - £75 for a ticket but not 3 times in two weeks

The answer in an empty stadium is pay £25 and then move to the £75 seats

9 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Watching a guaranteed shellacking isn’t an attractive proposition, even if one of the teams has loads of star players. If I lived near St Helens I probably wouldn’t have gone yesterday, I’d definitely have gone to Tonga v PNG though. 

8 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

On your premise of over saturation of too many games in a confined area does the games at Leigh not depend on the same catchment area as both Wire and Saints and indeed Bolton and Wigan to populate the grounds? Irrespective of how many games you consider should have been at the LSV that is what the schedule was or is it your often and well stated dislike of Leigh that has clouded your rationale.

I trust that you have attended a few or plan to go to the one remaining fixture in the area?

Edited by Harry Stottle

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Watching a guaranteed shellacking isn’t an attractive proposition, even if one of the teams has loads of star players. If I lived near St Helens I probably wouldn’t have gone yesterday, I’d definitely have gone to Tonga v PNG though. 

People came to see the basketball Dream Team in the 1992 Olympics.

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

9 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

People came to see the basketball Dream Team in the 1992 Olympics.

But that was one team Matthew who played a few games, in this World cup format there are too many mismatch fixtures to keep the desire to attend at a premium, has it as been stated above spread the games about, at least that way the novelty factor to attend will not be over faced.

Edited by Harry Stottle

45 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have to say this is how I rationalised the games I’ve been to so far.

Its not a cheap do either.

• Like 1