1. 1. Who will win?

• Lebanon by 13 points or more
    • Lebanon by 7 to 12 points
    • Lebanon by 1 to 6 points
    • Jamaica by 1 to 6 points
    • Jamaica by 7 to 12 points
    • Jamaica by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/10/22 at 12:30

4 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't want to be negative, but the format of the groups really hasn't worked at all. There has literally been one competitive game in the entire tournament so far and that was Wales v Cook Islands. It's great to see the likes of Jamaica and Greece involved, and you expect the odd blowout in any sort of world cup. But we have maybe 7 or 8 teams who can all give each other a game, and the gap to the rest is enormous.

But some of the results cannot be put down to the format of the competition. 

For example, we were being told that either Samoa would beat England comfortably or it would be tight.  It is not the fault of the tournament structure that Samoa didn't turn up.

Same that Scotland were so poor against Italy.  That could and should have been a closer game.

I am sure there are a few more.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

But the players who make Lebanon so competitive are based in Australia. 

They don’t really fit in the Pacific tournaments though so any games they get in Australia will probably be ad-hoc. They used to regularly play in Europe in the late 00s and early-mid 10s, they were in European World Cup qualifiers and some other tournaments.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Lebanon playing some nice stuff . Douehi and Moses a class apart and could cause Australia some problems . They’ll be looking forward to it I’m sure 

I will be as well.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't want to be negative, but the format of the groups really hasn't worked at all. There has literally been one competitive game in the entire tournament so far and that was Wales v Cook Islands. It's great to see the likes of Jamaica and Greece involved, and you expect the odd blowout in any sort of world cup. But we have maybe 7 or 8 teams who can all give each other a game, and the gap to the rest is enormous.

PNG/Tonga,NZ/Labanon,PNG/Cook Is we’re all competitive games with a few others competitive for 40-60 mins.

Playing in a WC is a huge boost to these lesser nations,I don’t really see a negative in their continued participation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

But some of the results cannot be put down to the format of the competition. 

For example, we were being told that either Samoa would beat England comfortably or it would be tight.  It is not the fault of the tournament structure that Samoa didn't turn up.

Same that Scotland were so poor against Italy.  That could and should have been a closer game.

I am sure there are a few more.

Agreed, Ireland vs Lebanon comes to mind.

Wales to their credit haven't yet been on the end of a real hammering despite that being the betting mans fear since the draw.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

They don’t seem to fit in the plan of returning the Oceania Cup so they should definitely be looked at by European opponents more often, including England. Ideally they’d be in a full strength European or Northern Hemisphere Cup.

I think they should be given a couple of mid season games down under vs Pacific Islands teams then, as you say, play in a full strength Northern Hemisphere competition.

Once every WC cycle they could play in a tier 4/6 Nations.

8 minutes ago, bratman said:

A bit, can't say I noticed him much last season though.

He missed the first 14 rounds due to coming back from an ACL injury.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

PNG/Tonga,NZ/Labanon,PNG/Cook Is we’re all competitive games with a few others competitive for 40-60 mins.

Playing in a WC is a huge boost to these lesser nations,I don’t really see a negative in their continued participation.

The standard of rugby played by the smaller nations compared to the RU World Cup is way way higher.

We have 8 competitive teams + possibly the Cook Islands and Lebanon on the fringes so pushing 10

Rah Rah have i would say 13 so we are getting there.

Paul

• Like 1

I tried & gave up buying the live stream for this grrrrr wasted around 30 mins trying, I find everything EXCEPT how to buy the stream, Why o why don’t they have a clickable link on the streaming section of the website??? I found everything else 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

I tried & gave up buying the live stream for this grrrrr wasted around 30 mins trying, I find everything EXCEPT how to buy the stream, Why o why don’t they have a clickable link on the streaming section of the website??? I found everything else 🤷‍♂️

What? It’s on bbc..