1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga by 13 points or more
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points
    • Cook Islands by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/10/22 at 15:00

Gelling goes home early, with a plumbing apprenticeship starting on Monday. A weird and wonderful guy. His HT comments about the islands offered up one of the moments of the tournament. I think he's been huge for them, with his offloads and energy. Big loss.

I think Tonga will wrap this up fairly comfortably. 34-14

Anthony Gelling leaves Cook Islands camp early to return home (loverugbyleague.com)

5 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Gelling goes home early, with a plumbing apprenticeship starting on Monday. A weird and wonderful guy. His HT comments about the islands offered up one of the moments of the tournament. I think he's been huge for them, with his offloads and energy. Big loss.

Anthony Gelling leaves Cook Islands camp early to return home (loverugbyleague.com)

Massive Lose been far and way the Cook Islands best player

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Massive Lose been far and way the Cook Islands best player

Yeah, threatening and full of invention. It says in that article that the game with the Kumuls was only his third game this year. Some effort by him. I wish he could have put off his commitments back home because he adds a touch of danger to them.

I loved the side-line haka tribute from his teammates after the game a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Tonga have not looked great. The first 35 against Wales they looked lost. A better drilled more skilled side with a similar plan could rattle them. Also in the Wales game Tonga looked close to and should have had cards. a less generous ref this week and they could be playing with 12 in which case they could easily lose.

Shocked to see that this isn't on BBC TV.

I don't think those in the UK celebrating exposure on the national broadcaster realise quite how low the profile of the World Cup is on the Beeb. We don't have access to the red button here in Ireland. They have some Ladies soccer and a film scheduled on BBC 1 and 2. Wouldn't know the RLWC was on if you casually turned on the Beeb to relax on a Sunday afternoon.

I have to be honest and say I preferred 2013 and 2017 on Premier Sports.

Cook Islands players did some promo work with Middlesbrough FC today - stories in Northern Echo & Middlesbrough Gazette tomorrow. The regional mayor has tweeted about the game, including some try videos and links to the ticketing site. They also went to the Captain Cook Museum in Whitby.

Bloke in my village pub in the middle of rural nowhere was wearing an England RL top and says he's going to this game. So that's 3 of us from a village of ~150 people about an hour from the ground...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JonM said:

Cook Islands players did some promo work with Middlesbrough FC today - stories in Northern Echo & Middlesbrough Gazette tomorrow. The regional mayor has tweeted about the game, including some try videos and links to the ticketing site. They also went to the Captain Cook Museum in Whitby.

Bloke in my village pub in the middle of rural nowhere was wearing an England RL top and says he's going to this game. So that's 3 of us from a village of ~150 people about an hour from the ground...

An impressive ratio. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

This could low key be a good game. Not going to say upset but Tonga arent great and CI have looked ok.

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 27/10/2022 at 01:00, StandOffHalf said:

If he'd been a footballer at the same level as his rl career, i.e., international, Premier/Super League, he'd have made enough money not to ever have to work again. Unfair (but inevitable) given the level of commitment, skill and bravery these players display week in week out. 

Mind you - even Ronaldo would probably make more money as a plumber, given the call-out charges these days. 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 12:42, StandOffHalf said:

Shocked to see that this isn't on BBC TV.

I don't think those in the UK celebrating exposure on the national broadcaster realise quite how low the profile of the World Cup is on the Beeb. We don't have access to the red button here in Ireland. They have some Ladies soccer and a film scheduled on BBC 1 and 2. Wouldn't know the RLWC was on if you casually turned on the Beeb to relax on a Sunday afternoon.

I have to be honest and say I preferred 2013 and 2017 on Premier Sports.

I’m not sure I agree they’ve plastered it all over in cross promotion especially news bulletins.

The BBC coverage has been the bright point so far and added real cache to the event.

In the U.K., nothing says ‘small time’ more than being on Premier Sports!

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m not sure I agree they’ve plastered it all over in cross promotion especially news bulletins.

The BBC coverage has been the bright point so far and added real cache to the event.

In the U.K., nothing says ‘small time’ more than being on Premier Sports!

The coverage of the games they've televised has been good, I agree.

Nobody I know in my immediate circle would be aware the tournament was on, unless I told them. It really lacks in visibility here in IE.

Premier Sports are a niche channel but fans of the sports they had the rights to would have been more aware of the 2013 tournament, compared to the 2022 one.

As I have intimated, we can't get the red button or iPlayer here. You wouldn't know the Tonga game was on, and I'm not sure I'll be able to find a stream.

I am looking forward to sitting down and enjoying the third game today though.

Edited by StandOffHalf

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

The coverage has been good, I agree.

Nobody I know in my immediate circle would be aware the tournament was on, unless I told them. It really lacks in visibility here in IE.

Premier Sports are a niche channel but fans of sport would have been more aware of the 2013 tournament, compared to the 2022 one.

As I have intimated, we can't get the red button or iPlayer here. You wouldn't know the Tonga game was on, and I'm not sure I'll be able to find a stream.

I am looking forward to sitting down and enjoying the third game today though.

Fair enough, I guess the coverage might look different in Ireland but I must admit I would be dismayed if our World Cup went on Premier Sports again.

Graduating to the BBC is a plus point and it’s still the blue ribbon broadcaster in the U.K.

They've also been very positive in their coverage and treated the competition like a big event.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough, I guess the coverage might look different in Ireland but I must admit I would be dismayed if our World Cup went on Premier Sports again.

Graduating to the BBC is a plus point and it’s still the blue ribbon broadcaster in the U.K.

They've also been very positive in their coverage and treated the competition like a big event.

Nice coverage, shame about the commentary.