RLWC - TV viewing figures

I say this not to be pessimistic, but is it really anywhere near 10 million (or even 3 million) different people? I have watched a few of the games online and the BBC website might say 'there are 5,500 people following this page'. As with the attendances, if we are just catching the same existing fans several times (but this time a dozen or so cases of each watching a TV game rather than a person buying tickets to 3 or 4 live games) the scope is nowhere near what it could be.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, N2022 said:

I say this not to be pessimistic, but is it really anywhere near 10 million (or even 3 million) different people? I have watched a few of the games online and the BBC website might say 'there are 5,500 people following this page'. As with the attendances, if we are just catching the same existing fans several times (but this time a dozen or so cases of each watching a TV game rather than a person buying tickets to 3 or 4 live games) the scope is nowhere near what it could be.

Of course there will be repetition. There is in all tournament figures.

This is a more than decent return for a bunch of mostly uncompetitive group games.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

The overseas viewing figures might be interesting for places like PNG

Might be difficult to estimate:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

This is the important bit. Don’t get too hung up on crowd figures, folks, it’s of secondary import. 

Had we achieved crowds we set out to we would have literally had millions of quid extra in the bank this month to be funding worldwide development , rather than a nice number which may drive additional millions in future. 

Attendances are very, very important at this stage, but the numbers quoted are excellent, and I think they do show that we can deliver some good stuff when we have a supportive partner, which I think the BBC has been. 

It'll be really interesting to see if we can start to grow viewing figures at quarter finals stage - our England numbers seem to stay pretty stubbornly at a level, it'd be awesome if we can start to break through that 3m.

I wonder if C4 are keeping a close eye on these numbers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Hopefully some of them are new viewers to our game

Some, but relatively few. I'd argue. 

It always annoys me when people talk about a (usually terrestrial) TV game being watched by 'new' viewers, particularly those in the south.

Believe me there are plenty of people down here who are familiar with/like our sport and are repeat TV viewers and big match attendees when held in London. 

How many tens of thousands have been through the Broncos over the past couple of decades. Past through, enjoyed, but not gone back. Primarily because of ground changes and disfunctionality. And the thousands who've gone through the grassroots game.

IMO, 99% of viewers on the BBC already enjoy RL. They may not know players etc but they are not newbies.

The issue for RL is not so much stirring their interest (it's already there!), it's how to engage them as regular supporters.

IMG's challenge.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Had we achieved crowds we set out to we would have literally had millions of quid extra in the bank this month to be funding worldwide development , rather than a nice number which may drive additional millions in future. 

Attendances are very, very important at this stage, but the numbers quoted are excellent, and I think they do show that we can deliver some good stuff when we have a supportive partner, which I think the BBC has been. 

It'll be really interesting to see if we can start to grow viewing figures at quarter finals stage - our England numbers seem to stay pretty stubbornly at a level, it'd be awesome if we can start to break through that 3m.

I wonder if C4 are keeping a close eye on these numbers. 

TV is everything. Ask the NRL. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

We can look at revenue streams in this country to see the importance of attendances. 

Of course TV figs are important, and strong figures from the last decade have contributed to getting us to the place where the BBC take us seriously. 

It's all good. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes and no.

TV is everything when you're a firmly established sport always on the back pages and great viewing figures to paint over poor attendances. 

A different competition with swathes of empty seats won't build interest 

2 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Yes and no.

TV is everything when you're a firmly established sport always on the back pages and great viewing figures to paint over poor attendances. 

A different competition with swathes of empty seats won't build interest 

Early days, chief.

There’s a lot of comparisons with the women’s Euros, well, it only really got going with the knockout stages. Let’s see that happens with attendances then.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Early days, chief.

There’s a lot of comparisons with the women’s Euros, well, it only really got going with the knockout stages. Let’s see that happens with attendances then.  

My bad! As the kids say. 

I was referring to the NRL. Hugely popular with tons of media and TV coverage but poor live on ground attendances.

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Early days, chief.

There’s a lot of comparisons with the women’s Euros, well, it only really got going with the knockout stages.

Simply not true. That tournament had some very good crowds at group stages. 

But that's one for the attendance thread. 

Just now, Dave T said:

Simply not true. That tournament had some very good crowds at group stages. 

But that's one for the attendance thread. 

In the public consciousness it wasn’t a huge deal early doors. Once it became clear England had a chance of winning it, people latched on. That has to be the hope with the RLWC, backed up by the Beeb coverage.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

In the public consciousness it wasn’t a huge deal early doors. Once it became clear England had a chance of winning it, people latched on. That has to be the hope with the RLWC, backed up by the Beeb coverage.

Yes, I'd agree with that to an extent. And I do think the RLWC has been very enjoyable and could absolutely be seen as successful - particularly if we follow the success of the women. 

However I would highlight that at group stages the women's tournament did have very big crowds for England games, plus a few other 20k plus crowds, and another batch around 15k or so. 

I don't know how tv figures were for non-England games. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I'd agree with that to an extent. And I do think the RLWC has been very enjoyable and could absolutely be seen as successful - particularly if we follow the success of the women. 

However I would highlight that at group stages the women's tournament did have very big crowds for England games, plus a few other 20k plus crowds, and another batch around 15k or so. 

I don't know how tv figures were for non-England games. 

Attendances are the internal chat, really. That’s a rugby league thing dating back a century or more. 

i honestly don’t think the wider public is too arsed that 4K turned up for France vs Greece in Doncaster or whatever.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Attendances are the internal chat, really. That’s a rugby league thing dating back a century or more. 

i honestly don’t think the wider public is too arsed that 4K turned up for France vs Greece in Doncaster or whatever.

I agree on games like that. People understand context and know that a) RL isn't football, and b.) that Greece are not an established Rugby nation. 

But it can't be denied that full houses, great atmospheres etc on TV do look good and portray the game in a positive light. 

It also helps the atmosphere at the game. Ive enjoyed every game I've been too, but event-wise they haven't been a patch on the 2013 versions. They have absolutely had an exhibition-game feel imho. 

And there is the issue of income. Directly, we are missing out on money through empty seats. At Wire the other night the largest sponsors lounge was closed and half the boxes in darkness. It's in our interest to get these populated. 

But on the subject at hand, viewing figures like we are seeing have to have a positive impact. Like I said earlier, the BBC showing all 61 games, many on main channels is great news. If we keep pushing this, it has to turn into financial rewards at some stage. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

My bad! As the kids say. 

I was referring to the NRL. Hugely popular with tons of media and TV coverage but poor live on ground attendances.

NRL is one of the best club Rugby of either codes for attendances but it's just that we compare it to the massive AFL, EPL and monster NFL...NRL doe's okay.

• Like 2