RLWC - TV viewing figures

6 minutes ago, Mojo said:

It's literally all over social media mate. 1.1m views across all games the most out of any nation

FB_IMG_1669201666489.jpg

I have no idea what you are talking about or what that is meant to prove. Nice shift of the goalposts though. Everyone did not say "a small nation like samoa making the final is bad for the game and it won't attract viewers" as you wrote

Edited by Damien

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have no idea what you are talking about or what that is meant to prove. Nice shift of the goalposts though. Everyone did not say "a small nation like samoa making the final is bad for the game and it won't attract viewers" as you wrote

Well you weren't very specific on what you we're commenting on 🙄 I thought you we're talking about the views. But if your talking about "what everyone said" than yes there was quite a few that posted straight after the England loss saying England needed to make the final more than Samoa instead because they needed to grow the game over in the northern hemisphere or has Samoa gained nothing from it. It's algoods if you didn't see it, chill bro 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Literally no one said that.

I saw it here and Twitter after they beat England. More of a "knocking the home nation out of the competition is bad for the game" though.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

Well you weren't very specific on what you we're commenting on 🙄 I thought you we're talking about the views. But if your talking about "what everyone said" than yes there was quite a few that posted straight after the England loss saying England needed to make the final more than Samoa instead because they needed to grow the game over in the northern hemisphere or has Samoa gained nothing from it. It's algoods if you didn't see it, chill bro 🤦‍♂️

Your point was "a small nation like samoa making the final is bad for the game and it won't attract viewers" . There was no need to be specific because that was your point. It's not my fault you don't understand your own posts.

So from everyone it has now become a few. It is also quite possible to hold the view that England would have been better for the game, would have got a better crowd and better viewing figures while also thinking that Samoa getting to the final is good for the game. The two aren't mutually exclusive no matter what strawman arguments you try and create.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Mojo said:

There we're a few that posted in here before the final saying Samoa making the final over England is not gonna grow the game because they're a small nation, where as England making the final will grow the game more.

Tbh Mojo, I think if you went back, you may realise that it was a crackpot who held that view here, and is absolutely a lone voice who doesn't seem to like any aspect of RL. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Tbh Mojo, I think if you went back, you may realise that it was a crackpot who held that view here, and is absolutely a lone voice who doesn't seem to like any aspect of RL. 

You wouldn't be referring to Sean McGuire's disciple by any chance? 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mojo said:

And everyone said a small nation like samoa making the final is bad for the game 

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

There we're a few that posted in here before the final saying Samoa making the final over England is not gonna grow the game 

Good lord....

2 hours ago, Mojo said:

There we're a few that posted in here before the final saying Samoa making the final over England is not gonna grow the game because they're a small nation, where as England making the final will grow the game more.

No, not true.

You have gone from everyone said to a few posts on here....

Most on here said it would be good for the game and the England fans all supported Samoa in the final.  Your just making thing up now.

Your team lost the first game then you went into hibernation for 3 weeks then you resurfaced after the semi final. We all supported Samoa in the final so I'm not really sure what your agenda is anymore.

Time to move on? - who do you think is going to win Lg1 next season?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s all about the likes of Tonga and Samoa and other nations getting Tier One status. As the article says once those nations are declared Tier One the players mentioned won`t be able to play SOO. As long as those countries remain Tier Two they can play both.

I think we have outgrown the tiering system. I’d scrap it. I don’t see the likes of Taumalolo or Luai changing their minds to play for NZ and Australia in the future; they’ll stick with their heritage choices. A proper international calendar will further enable those decisions. 

The Aussies could still implement their own SOO criteria but it doesn’t have to impact international selection for other nations. It’ll be entirely the Aussies choice. 

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think we have outgrown the tiering system. I’d scrap it. I don’t see the likes of Taumalolo or Luai changing their minds to play for NZ and Australia in the future; they’ll stick with their heritage choices. A proper international calendar will further enable those decisions. 

The Aussies could still implement their own SOO criteria but it doesn’t have to impact international selection for other nations. It’ll be entirely the Aussies choice. 

The tier system isn't really for that though. It is so players for tier 2 nations like Samoa, Tonga et al don't choose Origin over their countries. Players for other tier 1 nations can't play SOO. Now that the Aussies are scrapping mid-season internationals it further disincentives players from choosing their countries over SOO if these countries are then also tier 1.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

The tier system isn't really for that though. It is so players for tier 2 nations like Samoa, Tonga et al don't choose Origin over their countries. Players for other tier 1 nations can't play SOO. Now that the Aussies are scrapping mid-season internationals it further disincentives players from choosing their countries over SOO if these countries are then also tier 1.

So can Luai and other players continue to play origin and represent Samoa?

Presumably any player born in Sydney represents NSW? Even if they play for another country? But not New Zealand?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mojo said:

I said that it was a disaster that England didn't make the final. I was wrong though and am happy to admit as much. It turned out quite a bit better than I feared. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Niels said:

So can Luai and other players continue to play origin and represent Samoa?

Presumably any player born in Sydney represents NSW? Even if they play for another country? But not New Zealand?

Pretty much, as long as they meet the SOO eligibility requirements and lived in the state before their 13th birthday. If Jason Taumalolo hadn't played for NZ he would have been able to play for Queensland and Tonga, as Daniel Tupou has done for NSW and Tonga.

If anything, these rules weaken NZ more than anyone and encourage players to choose a tier 2 nation so they can still play SOO.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

Pretty much, as long as they meet the SOO eligibility requirements and lived in the state before their 13th birthday. If Jason Taumalolo hadn't played for NZ he would have been able to play for Queensland and Tonga, as Daniel Tupou has done for NSW and Tonga.

If anything, these rules weaken NZ more than anyone and encourage players to choose a tier 2 nation so they can still play SOO.

The SOO rules are ridiculous IMO and should be changed, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the SOO games but would help International RL massively.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

and the England fans all supported Samoa in the final.  Your just making thing up now.

They really didn't. Not even almost the England fans on this forum supported Samoa, never mind all England fans full stop. I appreciate that the majority of fans in the stadium on the day of the final did, but please stop pretending that "all England fans" supported Samoa. 

I can't be bothered going back through posts to prove it, but the week after the Toa dumped England out, there were some hilarious sour grapes posts on here. I seem to remember  one from CiderWire saying he hopes the Aussies wipe the floor with them. There were others too, and that is just on here. Social media was full of them too. 

In defence of @Mojo, it is clearly you who are "making things up", not him. 

Edited by Madrileño
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

They really didn't. Not even almost the England fans on this forum supported Samoa, never mind all England fans fulm stop. I appreciate that the majority of fans in the stadium on the day of the final did, but please stop pretending that "all England fans" supported Samoa. 

I can't be bothered going back through posts to prove it, but the week after the Toa dumped England out, there were some hilarious sour grapes posts on here. I seem to remember  one from CiderWire saying he hopes the Aussies wipe the floor with them. There were others roo, and that is just on here. Social media was full of them too. 

In defence of @Mojo, it is clearly you who are "making things up", not him. 

Move on lad.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I will when your bullying attitude changes. 

It's easy to pick on @Mojo because he is a minority, and his opinions are unpopular on here. 

Lad.

Your losing it marra - if you have any accusations please report by the correct means. - bullying?, minority??

I had an opinion, it was that most English fans supported Samoa in the final - one ill stand by - sorry if you disagree but an opinion isnt bullying. 

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

I can't be bothered going back through posts to prove it

Be helpful if you could though, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If there is one thing English RL fans have always done is get behind whoever plays Australia. Whether that is New Zealand or Samoa in finals, or Tonga in a one off, it doesn't really matter. For some this may be because the Aussies are the traditional old rivals and others because they are sick of Australia's dominance. For many it's both. Accusations that English fans didn't support Samoa just dont stand up to any scrutiny and contradicts what many Samoans were saying in social media. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Thanks. I didn't know much about this until I read an article in the Guardian about Samoa. It mentioned Tier 1 and Tier 2 and that if Samoa changed then their players may have to forfeit origin.

I didn't realise so many were actually born in Australia or that so many Samoans played for the grand final teams.

For me the world cup has been a real education.