RLWC - TV viewing figures

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately, they didn't last time (Tonga, or NZ). 

Maybe look for a Sydney game and not Hamilton.

Edit: They pulled 25k for 3 of the last 4 tests in Auckland vs Aus/Nz. Only the GB test in Hamilton failed to draw. 

Auckland 1.5m people - Hamilton 177k. Although I will grant they are not massively distant.

Edited by Leonard

30 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Maybe look for a Sydney game and not Hamilton.

Edit: They pulled 25k for 3 of the last 4 tests in Auckland vs Aus/Nz. Only the GB test in Hamilton failed to draw. 

Auckland 1.5m people - Hamilton 177k. Although I will grant they are not massively distant.

Eng/GB have never really been a draw in NZ. I think the last tour was organised terribly and a bit of a mess, but we need to be careful of thinking we can do well automatically. 

I think it would need to be a well presented Tri/Four nations as they have a relatively decent record there - and the city selection does need to be right as you highlight - the variation in crowd numbers is huge. 

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Eng/GB have never really been a draw in NZ. I think the last tour was organised terribly and a bit of a mess, but we need to be careful of thinking we can do well automatically. 

I think it would need to be a well presented Tri/Four nations as they have a relatively decent record there - and the city selection does need to be right as you highlight - the variation in crowd numbers is huge. 

And if it looks like getting too popular, there needs to be some contractual arrangement to ensure that the NRL's Australia-based clubs don't withhold players either out of spite or as an infantile, willy-waving power play.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

No, not true.

You have gone from everyone said to a few posts on here....

Most on here said it would be good for the game and the England fans all supported Samoa in the final.  Your just making thing up now.

Your team lost the first game then you went into hibernation for 3 weeks then you resurfaced after the semi final. We all supported Samoa in the final so I'm not really sure what your agenda is anymore.

Time to move on? - who do you think is going to win Lg1 next season?

It's funny you said English fans supported samoa but you were the biggest hater on the samoan team in this forum before the world cup🤦‍♂️😂😂😂 don't change your stripes now that your English team flopped and made you look like a complete idiot 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Maybe learn the lessons of history and don't jumble together out of nowhere a tour to take place in under twelve months time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Damien said:

If there is one thing English RL fans have always done is get behind whoever plays Australia. Whether that is New Zealand or Samoa in finals, or Tonga in a one off, it doesn't really matter. For some this may be because the Aussies are the traditional old rivals and others because they are sick of Australia's dominance. For many it's both. Accusations that English fans didn't support Samoa just dont stand up to any scrutiny and contradicts what many Samoans were saying in social media. 

Please don't act like you didn't see all the posts in here just before the world cup saying how average this samoan team was and they're all players that looked good because of the nrl system

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Mojo said:

It's funny you said English fans supported samoa but you were the biggest hater on the samoan team in this forum before the world cup🤦‍♂️😂😂😂 don't change your stripes now that your English team flopped and made you look like a complete idiot 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

Thats nice.

Before the opening game i just said I thought England would beat Samoa easily - so I was correct. 

No hate for Samoa marra, not really on anyones radar but I agree what others have said, any England fan would support any team above Australia.

Not really sure why your so worked up.

Edited by Mr Frisky

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Thats nice.

Before the opening game i just said I thought England would beat Samoa easily - so I was correct. 

No hate for Samoa marra, not really on anyones radar but I agree what others have said, any England fan would support any team above Samoa. 

Not really sure why your so worked up.

Not really worked up, I just remember you the most attacking every post i did about the Samoan team lol In saying that the English team was the form team of the world cup they just happen to play there worst game, in the game that mattered the most. That first game I'll give it to you the English really surprised me. I still thought the samoan team can beat the English even after that game because the injuries had a huge factor in that massive scoreline and made the English team think that they we're better than they thought they are and I think that played a part in the semi final loss. If it was a close first game and England won, England wouldve turned up in the semi final fired up, but instead they looked like, all they had to do was turn up and win. Hopefully we see more England vs Samoa games in the future because both teams can make each other better for the next world cup

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Not quite the figures I was expecting to see. Anyone got a take on this?

Wheelchair seems low. Didn't they get 750k for the Eng v Aus opener?

28 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Something doesn't add up - unless people think the final should have had a lower audience.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rugby-league-world-cup-achieves-record-breaking-tv-numbers-as-staggering-viewing-figures-achieved-61908/

In the women’s and wheelchair tournaments, which are running simultaneously with the men’s game for the first time ever, both England teams have also attracted big audiences with an average of 0.5 million viewers apiece, with England women’s game against Canada and England wheelchair team’s game against Australia proving to be the most popular matches so far with both reaching a peak of over 700,000.

27 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I know there will be many excuses and disclaimers but in OZ, the NRL GF pulled 2.76 million sets of eyeballs and that was the lowest in 25 years.

Yes, yes, I know:

- RL not as big in Britland

- would have been bigger if England had played

- people in UK can't afford free-to-air TV

- blah, blah, blah

- I blame the RFL

- Cheating Aussie refs.

There. I think I covered everything.

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I know there will be many excuses and disclaimers but in OZ, the NRL GF pulled 2.76 million sets of eyeballs and that was the lowest in 25 years.

Yes, yes, I know:

- RL not as big in Britland

- would have been bigger if England had played

- people in UK can't afford free-to-air TV

- blah, blah, blah

- I blame the RFL

- Cheating Aussie refs.

There. I think I covered everything.

It's the wheelchair that surprises me - no so much the others, but I would have thought the men's would have got more.

35 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

It tells me that RL is not in a great place in the UK. The wheelchair viewing is lower than we'd like but a step forward has been taken, same with the women. The men's final is okay for a non-England match but it's a World Cup final in a good timeslot.

It's really hard to see any quick win on the back of those numbers though that brings us riches. Basically, we need to be running BBC friendly international fixtures to build up visibility.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It tells me that RL is not in a great place in the UK. The wheelchair viewing is lower than we'd like but a step forward has been taken, same with the women. The men's final is okay for a non-England match but it's a World Cup final in a good timeslot.

It's really hard to see any quick win on the back of those numbers though that brings us riches. Basically, we need to be running BBC friendly international fixtures to build up visibility.

I’m most surprised by the wheelchair figure. 2.5m had been suggested earlier in the week, so that was way off. Was thinking it might break 1m. 

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

I’m most surprised by the wheelchair figure. 2.5m had been suggested earlier in the week, so that was way off. Was thinking it might break 1m. 

Unless the opening round TV figures for wheelchair were BS. Or maybe there was less of an audience on a Friday night - i think the opening round was a Monday?

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Yes - the wheelchair seems low given what we were rumoured to be at (and how much social media pick up there was).

I think my overall point still stands. The hard work is now. We cannot be expecting any immediate deal to transform anything. Visibility and foundation building is required.

27 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Wheelchair seems low. Didn't they get 750k for the Eng v Aus opener?

It was up against the annual Children in Need charity extravaganza on BBC1. That always draws a lot of viewers away from other programming.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

Please don't act like you didn't see all the posts in here just before the world cup saying how average this samoan team was and they're all players that looked good because of the nrl system

Another moving of the goalposts that has sweet fa to do with if England fans supported Samoa v Australia. 

Edited by Damien
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yep, or rather, UK RL is in the same place it was in at the start if the tournament. Which is stable but underperforming. 

But we didn't break through with the world cup, so "reach over revenue" arguably didn't work. (If you believe that was a real strategy and not something made up afterwards!) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Where/who did the 2.5m figure come from?

I have only seen that quoted in the context of both England v Samoa games, that did really well.

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Yep, or rather, UK RL is in the same place it was in at the start if the tournament. Which is stable but underperforming. 

But we didn't break through with the world cup, so "reach over revenue" arguably didn't work. (If you believe that was a real strategy and not something made up afterwards!) 

Fact is they still got well over 30m viewers compared to 2013 having 13m, I think, and whatever Premier Sports added.