Not a Good Look for Rugby League Ireland

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It's frustrating trying to get hold of someone from Ireland to comment, which we haven't managed to do yet, but another source has told me that there was insurance in place, but that when she got injured she checked herself in to a private hospital, had the operation and then presented the bill to Rugby League Ireland and the invoice figure exceeded the amount that could be claimed under the terms of the insurance.

I have yet to confirm the truth of that and I have every sympathy for the player, who must have been devastated by the injury. In the meantime the reputation of Rugby League Ireland lies in the gutter.

Looking forward to hearing a well represented story.

It’s actually frightening how some people can hear one side of the story from a person presenting themselves as vulnerable and come to their own conclusion and start throwing barbs at the other party.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Looking forward to hearing a well represented story.

It’s actually frightening how some people can hear one side of the story from a person presenting themselves as vulnerable and come to their own conclusion and start throwing barbs at the other party.

Well said.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It's frustrating trying to get hold of someone from Ireland to comment, which we haven't managed to do yet, but another source has told me that there was insurance in place, but that when she got injured she checked herself in to a private hospital, had the operation and then presented the bill to Rugby League Ireland and the invoice figure exceeded the amount that could be claimed under the terms of the insurance.

I have yet to confirm the truth of that and I have every sympathy for the player, who must have been devastated by the injury. In the meantime the reputation of Rugby League Ireland lies in the gutter.

I don't think anyone is disputing that the figure for treatment exceeds the maximum payout on the RLI insurance.

It's the whole point of the story, after all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What’s terrifying is that her side has been given the oxygen of publicity, and that even people who might be inclined to hear Ireland RL’s side have swallowed it whole. 

I would like anyone on here in similar circumstances to go to Harley Street and stay in a 5 star hotel, and see how much sympathy they get. It’s a disgusting misrepresentation. 

• Like 2

If I got my roof repaired without running it past the insurance company for approval, I wouldn't think I had too much to complain about if they didn't pay out.

Still, the facts are sketchy at the moment. We await clarification.

She's a lawyer, you say?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

27 minutes ago, Griff said:

If I got my roof repaired without running it past the insurance company for approval, I wouldn't think I had too much to complain about if they didn't pay out.

Still, the facts are sketchy at the moment. We await clarification.

She's a lawyer, you say?

It’s exactly as Martyn says above. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

This is where the I think amateur/professional lines are blurred for the women’s game.

Most amateur players in the men’s game are advised to take out personal insurance because the insurance that teams have are not substantial enough    

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Damien said:

When we talk about encouraging people to take up the game things like this will completely dissuade them.

Correct, and the oh well technically it wasn't in the world cup so not our problem attitude will dissuade the rest.

I’ve always had private medical insurance, but rarely used it. On the occasions where I’ve had injuries that require immediate attention, I’ve gone to state facilities then any subsequent costly private treatment has to be pre-authorised. I’m surprised that a private hospital would not make it clear to a patient to check their insurance terms. 

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

32 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Correct, and the oh well technically it wasn't in the world cup so not our problem attitude will dissuade the rest.

I mean I'm happy to blame the world cup organisers for a lot, but this really isn't anything to do with them

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean I'm happy to blame the world cup organisers for a lot, but this really isn't anything to do with them

It's not.

But it's now the first thing a lot of people will think about when they think of Rugby League Ireland.

And rightly so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's not.

But it's now the first thing a lot of people will think about when they think of Rugby League Ireland.

And rightly so.

Rugby League Ireland is going to issue a statement tomorrow to put their side of the story.

In the meantime Charlie Willett has been in touch with me to put her side of the story, which I will refer to in my column in League Express, hopefully in a balanced way.

She has been reading this thread on this forum, incidentally.

The problem is that the injury occurred in a match played on 8th October and, as far as I'm concerned, when a player suffers a serious injury representing either club or country, the onus is on the officials to take immediate action to protect the health of its players, even if the organisation itself isn't a wealthy body. Player welfare is paramount.

I'm not convinced that RLI did this, although we will have to wait for their statement tomorrow to see how they interpret these events.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

Rugby League Ireland is going to issue a statement tomorrow to put their side of the story.

In the meantime Charlie Willett has been in touch with me to put her side of the story, which I will refer to in my column in League Express, hopefully in a balanced way.

She has been reading this thread on this forum, incidentally.

The problem is that the injury occurred in a match played on 8th October and, as far as I'm concerned, when a player suffers a serious injury representing either club or country, the onus is on the officials to take immediate action to protect the health of its players, even if the organisation itself isn't a wealthy body. Player welfare is paramount.

I'm not convinced that RLI did this, although we will have to wait for their statement tomorrow to see how they interpret these events.

Thanks. My POV - in general, not on these specifics - is that if an organisation cannot afford to meet its reasonable obligations to players (and covering their injury expenses is reasonable) then it should not be putting on matches until it can afford it.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 03:37, Gomersall said:

I am stunned at RLIs lack of urgency to have these “several inaccuracies, omissions, and misleading portrayals of the facts” revealed to the wider public domain.

I would expect IRL would enforce insurance for nations at the WC to be a little higher than €3,500.

Similar to grassroots, amateur organisations, I am not sure that outside the WC, RLI fit into anything other than a grassroots organisation.

From the article above, I personally believe there is a nativity demonstrated from the player’s behalf. Again, as an experienced Sports Lawyer in training who is also a budding professional sports person, I would have expected the player to have at least witnessed the insurance cover, over a non-descript reply of “yes” on watts app.

Having been through multiple knee reconstructions myself in similar circumstances, I do have sympathy for the player and wish her well and the best of luck in her recovery. 

14 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I am stunned at RLIs lack of urgency to have these “several inaccuracies, omissions, and misleading portrayals of the facts” revealed to the wider public domain.

I would expect IRL would enforce insurance for nations at the WC to be a little higher than €3,500.

Similar to grassroots, amateur organisations, I am not sure that outside the WC, RLI fit into anything other than a grassroots organisation.

From the article above, I personally believe there is a nativity demonstrated from the player’s behalf. Again, as an experienced Sports Lawyer in training who is also a budding professional sports person, I would have expected the player to have at least witnessed the insurance cover, over a non-descript reply of “yes” on watts app.

Having been through multiple knee reconstructions myself in similar circumstances, I do have sympathy for the player and wish her well and the best of luck in her recovery. 

Agree about the naivety, and also dislike the sensationalist headlines of being 'emotionally and financially ruined'.............but hey it's clickbait and sells a story so who cares?

Whilst I sympathise with her situation, players need to take some responsibility, particularly when dealing with what is an amateur volunteer organisation. That said, more should also be expected from RLI and it's a stark reminder of the professional duties they need to adhere to. They should have higher cover, and if they cannot afford it, then it's their duty to recommend players to seek additional cover. Noone comes out of this with any credit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Agree about the naivety, and also dislike the sensationalist headlines of being 'emotionally and financially ruined'.............but hey it's clickbait and sells a story so who cares?

If anyone covering the sport has fallen for it, more fool them, but not their pocket.

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

If they have any sense, then they will be running by their lawyers first

Lawyers can check statements in a matter of hours, quicker if necessary.

RLI can't be bothered is the consistent element here.

The story's done. It's in the Irish Times. What little reputation they had has been severely damaged.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

If anyone covering the sport has fallen for it, more fool them, but not their pocket.

The insurance limit was £3,500, physio a mere £250. Any vaguely serious rugby injury would sail past that.

What are people falling for?

• Like 1