shorter game version

Could a shorter time scale version of our game help spread the game and give smaller nations a better chance ? Crickets 20/20 has been a great success. I'm thinking still keep the same rules and 13 a side,but play games of 20 minutes instead of 80. This would help part time players with fitness as fatigue is a problem for smaller nations. Still keep other formats of the game, but run the shorter format along side. Have 8 teams all playing at same venue so fans still get 80 minutes of footy and see more teams and players. 

Could try it with club footy have top 8 teams in super league playing a mini league format where each plays the other once. 7 rounds plus a finals night where top 4 play. 1st v 4th , then 2nd v 3rd followed by a 30 minute break of possible music live band, Then the final. 8 different venues. 

Internationally have an European competition or teams made up of super league and northern European leagues. England, France, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Italy, Greece, Spain . Or have Australian based super league XIII .             

• Like 1

Chief Crazy Eagle

You won't be popular with this. I suggested the seed 1 v pot 4 games could have been played on a similar basis to reduce score differentials and brought together in double headers of 2 x 50- or 60-minute games and was told that anything other than 80 mins 'isn't rugby league'. I pointed out women's NRL have only just lengthened halves from 30 to 35 and that junior teams play shorter matches - didn't get a reply. For the record, I think it might increase the appetite among non-traditional crowds, but the diehards see it as unnecessary and fiddling.

Personally, I'm not sure how widely I would want to see it add to / replace schedules, but I do see it could help with an inclusive but meaningful RLWC - maybe smaller nations could play pre-round on that basis to see who joins top teams in later stages.

For internationals (and getting into the olympics) 9s absolutely should be at the forefront of thinking. It keeps games mostly competitive, requires fewer elite level players, and 9s is a form of the game that can translate to 13 a side.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

For internationals (and getting into the olympics) 9s absolutely should be at the forefront of thinking. It keeps games mostly competitive, requires fewer elite level players, and 9s is a form of the game that can translate to 13 a side.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't like 9s or 7s personally . I also think its a different type of player needed for those games. 

• Like 1

Chief Crazy Eagle

14 minutes ago, superten said:

I don't like 9s or 7s personally . I also think its a different type of player needed for those games. 

7s is totally different from union yes, but 9s is just rugby league with less players. Props can play it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, superten said:

Could a shorter time scale version of our game help spread the game and give smaller nations a better chance ? Crickets 20/20 has been a great success. I'm thinking still keep the same rules and 13 a side,but play games of 20 minutes instead of 80

They did this in the U19 European Championships this year in the opening rounds.

Seemed to work quite well.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't see the need for shortened form of Rugby League whether that be nine or seven a side.

Union has sevens because the full fifteen a side version is boring and Cricket has 20/20 because the traditional version of Cricket lasts for days.

An 80 minute game of thirteen a side Rugby league is actually quite short but it's also the perfect sport so let's celebrate that.

• Thanks 1

A shorter version of the game is only really useful where you are trying to run a tournament over 2/3/4 days with multiple teams , let's say pre season in southern France or Spain , you can run with club sides alongside emerging nations teams playing together 

I recall being on holiday 2 decades ago in Benidorm and a Union 7s comp was running at the time with teams from all over Europe 

Other than that , we don't need it , and I doubt it'd be successful 

• Like 3

Absolutely not.

Lets concentrate on trying to develop the game in maybe 3-4 specific countries like France, Jamaica, wales and Lebanon that have the most realistic potential of developing into competitive tier2 nations in the short-term and actual tier1 nations in the long-term.

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Absolutely not.

Lets concentrate on trying to develop the game in maybe 3-4 specific countries like France, Jamaica, wales and Lebanon that have the most realistic potential of developing into competitive tier2 nations in the short-term and actual tier1 nations in the long-term.

Maybe the way to do that is to have a core squad of players capable of performing at 9 a side, then being bolstered by a full squad at 13 a side

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Maybe the way to do that is to have a core squad of players capable of performing at 9 a side, then being bolstered by a full squad at 13 a side

The only things 9s is the answer to is the question "What is absolutely a strategy that will not develop rugby league anywhere?"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The only things 9s is the answer to is the question "What is absolutely a strategy that will not develop rugby league anywhere?"

Or the way you might quickly get a fair few more non heritage players playing a high standard of Rugby League.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Or the way you might quickly get a fair few more non heritage players playing a high standard of Rugby League.

By playing 18 minute games as part of occasional weekend festivals?

Doesn't seem that likely.