Dewsbury RLWC connections

Wakefield Ram

On 30/10/2022 at 18:04, superten said:

Tetley stadium could have been a great venue for a couple of the smaller games. 

I'm not sure why the club doesn't put any bids in when England gets awarded a world cup, I'm guessing it's down to Kirklees Council or the RFL having some kind of criteria.

20 hours ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

I'm not sure why the club doesn't put any bids in when England gets awarded a world cup, I'm guessing it's down to Kirklees Council or the RFL having some kind of criteria.

How do you know that we didn't?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Think the ground capacity might have been an issue.

We have hosted WC games in the past, of course. I remember seeing at least one, but which were the teams?

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Having watched so many games in half empty stadiums I doubt they’d have had to worry about that in the end.  

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Wev have hosted WC games in the past, of course. I remember seeing at least one, but which were the teams?

Lebanon v can’t remember was one

6 minutes ago, NickD said:

Lebanon v can’t remember was one

Ireland, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2022 at 21:39, Wakefield Ram said:

I'd have thought a few group games would have made our ground look fairly full, I do remember Kirklees Council saying a few years back that we had to have a roof on the Beaumont Terrace before it was added to our official capacity though so maybe they put a block on it.

13 hours ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

I'd have thought a few group games would have made our ground look fairly full, I do remember Kirklees Council saying a few years back that we had to have a roof on the Beaumont Terrace before it was added to our official capacity though so maybe they put a block on it.

There is absolutely no way the RFL would have given a game to a ground holding less than 5k.  Despite some of the half empty stadia I bet most games had in excess of 5000. 

14 hours ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

Not quite. The council's view was that, unless the two terraced areas were separated then they could only grant a capacity that took into account all spectators sheltering from the rain in the South Stand. So, either separate the standing areas or, much more expensively, put a covering over the Beaumont Terrace.

The benefits to us of having a capacity greater than 5000 would be minimal compared with the costs so I guess that it is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

The RLWC apparently exceeded the attendance target over the whole of the competition and the attendance at the final surprised many, especially the doomsayers who seem to thrive in RL.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2022 at 11:34, NickD said:

There is absolutely no way the RFL would have given a game to a ground holding less than 5k.  Despite some of the half empty stadia I bet most games had in excess of 5000. 

I went to Doncaster for PNG v Wales and that got 6,500. 

• Like 1

I was disappointed the club didn't do anything to mark the World Cup. It would have been nice if there was an event for fans in one of the bars to watch one of the England games or final. Or even a ScotIand match in support of Dale Ferguson, Davey Dixon and club legend Nathan Graham. I noticed Barrow, a club very much on the rise, were pushing such events on social media.

It just seemed like the club didn't even aware there was a World Cup on, as illustrated by the fact we originally announced the fans forum at the exact same time Australia v Lebanon kicked off down the road in Huddersfield! Sometimes it feels like we're not even bothered about rugby league.

3 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

I was disappointed the club didn't do anything to mark the World Cup. It would have been nice if there was an event for fans in one of the bars to watch one of the England games or final. Or even a ScotIand match in support of Dale Ferguson, Davey Dixon and club legend Nathan Graham. I noticed Barrow, a club very much on the rise, were pushing such events on social media.

It just seemed like the club didn't even aware there was a World Cup on, as illustrated by the fact we originally announced the fans forum at the exact same time Australia v Lebanon kicked off down the road in Huddersfield! Sometimes it feels like we're not even bothered about rugby league.

you'd need a few to attend and spend quite a few bob to even pay the gas bill to heat the place.  Suspect it wasn't viable.   

• Like 1