Western Australian government to support bid for an 18th NRL team

38 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Really interesting to see the Govt. reference growing female sports participation as one of the rationale for engaging in this, with the NRL being on the leading edge in terms of "men's" sports building a women's competition. This is a key aspect in why its important for us to lean into the women's game, and build it up. Aside from being a good thing in itself, it ticks a lot of boxes for government and related bodies funding decisions. 

Exactly.

It’s a perfect example of a win-win scenario.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Norths bring nothing to the table and I have no idea why they're getting involved with Perth. I've even heard that they may facilitate a NZ2 bid. 

I can only imagine that the NRL or PVL is pushing this onto Perth for political reasons, otherwise it just doesn't make sense 

There`s a lot of people who`d like to see the Bears back and the feel-good factor would be huge and V`landy`s knows this.

According to an Aussie poster living in Perth the majority of people associated with W.A. Rugby League have no problem with adopting the Bears branding, co-ordinating pathways, some North Sydney League`s club funding and maybe a trial game played at North Sydney oval, but that`d be it. They are very keen to get a team in the NRL. He also states that any perception of a Sydney team based out of Perth would be a disaster in the making.

My take on the latest developments is that the W,A. Gov`t. are pretty keen to see if they can do it without North Sydney being involved at all. They`re going to see if having such a high-powered Government body involved will flush out an investor or a consortium to allow this.

I`m positive V`landy`s won`t mind either way, he can then save the ace up his sleeve that is the Bears` readmission for another headline or for somewhere else.

Edited by The Rocket
Add word.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

There`s a lot of people who`d like to see the Bears back and the feel-good factor would be huge and V`landy`s knows this.

According to an Aussie poster living in Perth the majority of people associated with W.A. Rugby League have no problem with adopting the Bears branding, co-ordinating pathways, some North Sydney League`s club funding and maybe a trial game played at North Sydney oval, but that`d be it. They are very keen to get a team in the NRL. He also states that any perception of a Sydney team based out of Perth would be a disaster in the making.

My take on the latest developments is that the W,A. Gov`t. are pretty keen to see if they can do it without North Sydney being involved at all. They`re going to see if having such a high-powered Government body involved will flush out an investor or a consortium to allow this.

I`m positive V`landy`s won`t mind either way, he can save the ace up his sleeve that is the Bears` readmission for another headline or for somewhere else.

Who are the people putting $15 million on the table mate?

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

Being sceptical I`ve asked the same question and why are they so shy about making it public. The reason the W.A. poster I alluded to gave was that after the last debacle about when promises were made about admitting a W.A. team and nothing eventuated they aren`t in hurry to show their hand this time, publicly at least.

He does keep mentioning three names though. One the bloke who owns Cash Converters, Brian Cummins, another bloke called Puddy, and the other name eludes me. Cumins sponsored Perth Reds and still sponsors W.A. Rugby League and some of their junior representative teams.

8 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Sorry but completely disagree apart from your points on Perth.

There's no strong argument that the Bear's returning would add any value to the Nrl. V'landys has already said the Sydney market is saturated. There isn't the corporate $$ in Gosford either. Never going to happen.

There's minimal presence of Nrl in Adelaide and Png is a 3rd world country with major societal issues so basing an Nrl team there wouldn't ever work.

If Perth is no.18 then Nz2 and south west Brisbane will be the choices if they expand further.

Could a Sydney team relocate to Central Coast.

A question to our Aussie posters but weren’t the bears originally supposed to move to the central coast fulltime time before the super league war broke out?

And also why did north’s and manly merge and who pushed it?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Being sceptical I`ve asked the same question and why are they so shy about making it public. The reason the W.A. poster I alluded to gave was that after the last debacle about when promises were made about admitting a W.A. team and nothing eventuated they aren`t in hurry to show their hand this time, publicly at least.

He does keep mentioning three names though. One the bloke who owns Cash Converters, Brian Cummins, another bloke called Puddy, and the other name eludes me. Cumins sponsored Perth Reds and still sponsors W.A. Rugby League and some of their junior representative teams.

Isn’t the pledged $15 million coming from the bears side?

Also are any of those blokes you mentioned the guy that bankrolls the western force?

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Could a Sydney team relocate to Central Coast.

Not the corporate dollar there mate. It`s also a low socio-economic area but that is changing. Look the Central Coast is an interesting one, it`s probably further from Sydney than Penrith and at the end of the day they`d want their own team and with a congested N.S.W. market the last thing we need is another N.S.W. team. There`s much more to be gained from one-city teams elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Yeah you`re right, I`d forgotten that but I still don`t think any names have been mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Also are any of those blokes you mentioned the guy that bankrolls the western force?

I doubt it, but I may be wrong. I think one of them is involved with the W.A. A- League (soccer) team, that may be the third name that eludes me.

My understanding is that the owner of the Perth Glory football team is putting a bid together and also a group called the West Coast Pirates. There's also talk that the people behind the Perth Reds will bid.

These would all be separate bids asides from the Bears 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I`m positive V`landy`s won`t mind either way, he can then save the ace up his sleeve that is the Bears` readmission for another headline or for somewhere else.

I think your overplaying the impact that the re-entry of Norths would have. They were not a well supported team and if punters on the Central Coast don't care about their presence, why would anyone in Perth?

4 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

My understanding is that the owner of the Perth Glory football team is putting a bid together and also a group called the West Coast Pirates. There's also talk that the people behind the Perth Reds will bid.

My god that’s 4 bids from the same city.

Talk about increasing your chances. surely 1 of them must win!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Apparently the bid that will be put together by the Perth Glory football team owner will be called Perth Quokkas 

40 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I think your overplaying the impact that the re-entry of Norths would have. They were not a well supported team and if punters on the Central Coast don't care about their presence, why would anyone in Perth?

Bears officials claim that they have 220k fans 😂😂

36 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Well it's a shame that most of them didn't attend their games 

In 1994 north’s had the 2nd best average attendance of the Sydney clubs behind Canterbury bulldogs who were minor premiers.

I know it’s cherry-picking but it shows that the support was there but that’s all history know and it should stay that way.

13 hours ago, Tosh said:

The last thing the NRL needs is another dual franchise like that of the st George Illawarra dragons.

either have it in one location or not at all as all this trying to be all things and pleasing everyone ends up being a complete mess and pleasing nobody.

They don't have to please everyone, just two sets of fans. If games are shared, there is no reason for a mess. I certainly don't see the ST G- Ill venture as a complete mess. Fans in Illawarra get to see NRL matches at their ground rather than nothing under your preferred system. 

I'm wondering when the Central Coast will ever get NRL matches if waiting to be a stand alone club. There are options that have greater merit so the wait could be long. Joint ventures aren't ideal but they would give CC RL fans some games to enjoy. Any inability to run a joint venture fairly is a poor reflection on those charged with running it.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, Tosh said:

North Sydney Leagues Club and a few privates.

8 hours ago, Tosh said:

A question to our Aussie posters but weren’t the bears originally supposed to move to the central coast fulltime time before the super league war broke out?

And also why did north’s and manly merge and who pushed it?

Yes, the stadium was not ready for their opening season in Gosford, had to play at NSO and by the time the stadium was finished the merger was on. Had the stadium been finished, I think the Bears would still be in the NRL today.

7 hours ago, Tosh said:

Twiggy Forrest is not involved yet.

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Apparently the bid that will be put together by the Perth Glory football team owner will be called Perth Quokkas 

Not sure on that. I would like to see the return of the Reds.

6 hours ago, Tosh said:

Bears officials claim that they have 220k fans 😂😂

That is what they are peddling to WA consortiums for a merger. It’s farcical.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tosh said:

PNG’s problems are far deeper than just the lack of genuine NRL standard players for any potential NRL side to draw upon.

You’ve got to factor in the high crime and poverty rates and the fact that PNG is a 3rd world country which will no doubt trigger a lot of woke people but unfortunately these are all undeniable facts.

I'm aware of the challenges - been to PNG & understand its political economy. Aus gov are obviously committed to it, so financially I'm sure the money would be there. 

Talent aint the issue though - just no pathways for it to develop. Not saying it'll be ready for a team any time soon and think the next step on PNGs development is a second QLD cup side before an NRL side. But the potential is huge. 

WA? Meh. Could be viable but nothing exciting. Money and interest is probably there I guess. Certainly can't see WA developing any NRL players before PNG and will do a total diddly squat for international game. 

13 minutes ago, Dirkgee said:

Does anyone here follow the NRL reddit page? Found this interesting picture of Australia's average match attendance for all the different codes of football. I never realised how hard Union has fallen off a cliff 

6S004te.jpg

Interestingly, from where the chart starts to now, none have really grown and the average has gone down it would appear. RL has held up well but the World Game doesn't look so good and Super Duper Rugby has imploded as we all knew. 

• Like 4

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, Dirkgee said:

Does anyone here follow the NRL reddit page? Found this interesting picture of Australia's average match attendance for all the different codes of football. I never realised how hard Union has fallen off a cliff 

6S004te.jpg

Nothing catastrophic happened to super duper rugby to trigger the decline. It’s just slowly faded away and seems to be in a death spiral. The soccer will keep going as they have a lot more fans than super union.

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

Interestingly, from where the chart starts to now, none have really grown and the average has gone down it would appear. RL has held up well but the World Game doesn't look so good and Super Duper Rugby has imploded as we all knew. 

Worth noting that League has maintained its` average, even slightly up last year, whilst having at least half of our clubs playing out of dilapidated suburban dumps.

There`s at least a 20 % + upside to NRL crowd figures if we can get our stadiums upgraded to be commensurate with the billion dollar sports competition that is NRL.

• Like 2