RLWC2029: Pacific RLWC2033 America

Pulga

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

I would like it to be played at the Commonwealth games as well

Gotta say, I don't care what happens with 9s. A full team is 15 players. It's a myth that it would help the smaller nations be competitive.

7s is a loss leader for union. 

There are so many other things that need addressing before this.

new rise.jpg

19 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Gotta say, I don't care what happens with 9s. A full team is 15 players. It's a myth that it would help the smaller nations be competitive.

Junior development for starters.

I guess the thinking about the Olympics is getting column inches and more sponsorship

A Pacific World Cup is an idea I’ve floated several times, it will be interesting to see if they can make it stack up.

Potential host locations mentioned are interesting: NZ (main host), Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu & Hawaii as well as “maybe” Australia. I’d look at New Caledonia as well for a French game and definitely PNG which I assume is a given although not mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I guess the thinking about the Olympics is getting column inches and more sponsorship

Union is still losing money on 7s. Can we afford to do the same?

new rise.jpg

3 hours ago, jim_57 said:

A Pacific World Cup is an idea I’ve floated several times, it will be interesting to see if they can make it stack up.

Potential host locations mentioned are interesting: NZ (main host), Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu & Hawaii as well as “maybe” Australia. I’d look at New Caledonia as well for a French game and definitely PNG which I assume is a given although not mentioned.

Yes you`re obviously not going to make a lot of money out of ticket sales, corporates or local sponsors in the games being hosted by the PI nations. However if these games are being beamed back into Oz and NZ at a decent time they could still be good for Australian and NZ sponsors and audiences.

I`d imagine that flexible starting times wouldn`t effect crowds so much in those countries. So packed grounds, great games and a local flavour would look great on Tv. It would probably build a bit of excitement around the tournament in Oz and N.Z. leading up to the knock-out stages, something which unfortunately has been a bit of a disappointment in the current tournament (although I`m confident they can recapture it). I reckon also any PI side playing even a second tier European nation at home would draw a big crowd in those countries, let alone playing another PI nation, Oz, N.Z. or England.

You`d have your quarters then strategically placed around either NZ or Oz then depending on where you most likely think they would draw a crowd. So maybe mid-sized stadiums like Mt. Smart, Newcastle, Olympic Park, Townsville, Bankwest, Canberra, Perth (?) where they might get a crowd out of novelty, then step-up for the semi`s and Final for the games more likely to attract a bigger crowd.

The whole point of the exercise would to ensure good crowds for the round-robin stages which would then help the tournament build momentum and would then make it a better sell on the mainlands as the tournament reached its` climax.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

"The IRL is hopeful of announcing its new international calendar in December."

Where have I heard that before?

There was an interesting discussion by the panelists last night about the calendar and the Welsh players were talking about more games when being interviewed. The authorities need to get a grip and come up with a proper calendar. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

There was an interesting discussion by the panelists last night about the calendar and the Welsh players were talking about more games when being interviewed. The authorities need to get a grip and come up with a proper calendar. 

You n all?

Right, here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yes you`re obviously not going to make a lot of money out of ticket sales, corporates or local sponsors in the games being hosted by the PI nations. However if these games are being beamed back into Oz and NZ at a decent time they could still be good for Australian and NZ sponsors and audiences.

I`d imagine that flexible starting times wouldn`t effect crowds so much in those countries. So packed grounds, great games and a local flavour would look great on Tv. It would probably build a bit of excitement around the tournament in Oz and N.Z. leading up to the knock-out stages, something which unfortunately has been a bit of a disappointment in the current tournament (although I`m confident they can recapture it). I reckon also any PI side playing even a second tier European nation at home would draw a big crowd in those countries, let alone playing another PI nation, Oz, N.Z. or England.

You`d have your quarters then strategically placed around either NZ or Oz then depending on where you most likely think they would draw a crowd. So maybe mid-sized stadiums like Mt. Smart, Newcastle, Olympic Park, Townsville, Bankwest, Canberra, Perth (?) where they might get a crowd out of novelty, then step-up for the semi`s and Final for the games more likely to attract a bigger crowd.

The whole point of the exercise would to ensure good crowds for the round-robin stages which would then help the tournament build momentum and would then make it a better sell on the mainlands as the tournament reached its` climax.

Yeh I guess you could anchor it around NZ and maybe Australia and try and maximise crowds for the PI games dispute not getting as much ticket revenue. As you say it will still be on at good times for sponsors.

Reading those quotes it’s clear they want NZ to be the main host and Australia may or may not be involved, going off that I could the breakdown being something like this is Australia isn’t involved.

NZ - 12 pool games, 6 finals.
PNG - 3 pool games, 1 quarter final. 
Fiji - 3 pool games. 
Hawaii - 2 pool games. 
Tonga - 1 pool game. 
Samoa - 1 pool game. 
New Caledonia - 1 pool game. 
Vanuatu - 1 pool game.

Of course I can see it reverting to the “safe” option and NZ & Australia hosting most games with some in PNG and maybe some other nations. The travel bill alone for the above tournament would be pretty substantial.

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

15????? 😱 

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

I love the idea but have they got suitable stadiums in many of places? Just had a quick look at Vanuatu and New Caledonia’s, they definitely aren’t. 

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

certain countries give gaurenteed funding for sports that are in the olympics I believe, but may be mistake, Russia was one and getting 7s into the Olympics meant funding for the Russian RU... for example. 

It can be quite a big deal depending on the country.. a little like Greece qualifying for a world cup forced the hand of the govt.. or at least heavily influenced it.. so too would the sport just being in the olympics. 

I suppose, with Australia attempting to solidify it's position within the Pacific sphere, there's an opportunity for the IRL to suggest the Aussie government might like to put some funding into a regionally-held RLWC as part of that. Perhaps covering flights, hotels, etc and rebuilding some sports facilities in those countries. Ticket revenue would still be negligible, of course, but there's TV revenue as well. Might work. Bit of a long shot though.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I suppose, with Australia attempting to solidify it's position within the Pacific sphere, there's an opportunity for the IRL to suggest the Aussie government might like to put some funding into a regionally-held RLWC as part of that. Perhaps covering flights, hotels, etc and rebuilding some sports facilities in those countries. Ticket revenue would still be negligible, of course, but there's TV revenue as well. Might work. Bit of a long shot though.

Key here… can it generate enough funds to make it viable considering the WC is the only real money making revenues for the sport internationally?

I do love the idea of it though. Could really cement league as the strongest code in the Pacific…

17 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Key here… can it generate enough funds to make it viable considering the WC is the only real money making revenues for the sport internationally?

I do love the idea of it though. Could really cement league as the strongest code in the Pacific…

Just thinking out loud here but, if the RLWC tends to make in the region of £4m in profit, which is used to fund the IRL for a 4-year cycle, it's not exactly a huge sum of money to ask a government to guarantee. In the scheme of things. If they were looking at it in terms of their regional diplomatic efforts. That's only way I could see it ever happening tbh.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

16 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Just thinking out loud here but, if the RLWC tends to make in the region of £4m in profit, which is used to fund the IRL for a 4-year cycle, it's not exactly a huge sum of money to ask a government to guarantee. In the scheme of things. If they were looking at it in terms of their regional diplomatic efforts. That's only way I could see it ever happening tbh.

I am pretty certain I have seen figures of £10m from this WC going to the IRL. Can’t for the life of me remember where but the grant will be higher than any previous WCs.