1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points
    • Cook Islands by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/22 at 20:00

For anyone who hasn't seen any of the Australian women's game in the last couple of years, in particular the NRLW, there two points.

One, you will see a skill, speed and execution in this match that is taking the women's game to another level.

Two, we will see how much the English women are up against it.  But we have good players and I will support them all the way.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Northern Eel said:

It's hard to be sure on little evidence, but I think both PNG and Canada are better than the CIs based on the games so far. Aussies rightly are the strong favourites.

As you say, not easy to evaluate without playing the same team.

My feeling is that this game is big step up from what we have seen already and I think CI would beat PNG and Canada.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

As you say, not easy to evaluate without playing the same team.

My feeling is that this game is big step up from what we have seen already and I think CI would beat PNG and Canada.

I have been surprised just how open the CIs have been at A and B markers and some of their naïve plays on the minimal times they have managed to get the ball back. There were some really lethargic and lame attempts at initial tackles and even less effort on occasions to cover second phase attacks. 

I may, of course, be totally wrong! 

Only turned on 10 minutes ago but on first impressions it's difficult to see which Aussies are forwards and which are backs (and not just because of the stupid numbering system they've allocated players!). Whilst the C.I have a few "chubbers" (the #3 is built like Pauli Pauli!) the Aussies are honed athletes. Add in the massive disparity in structure, skill levels etc and it's a huge mismatch.

Are any of the Aussie ladies full-time pros? (I feel embarrassed for asking!)

3 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Are any of the Aussie ladies full-time pros? (I feel embarrassed for asking!)

With a salary cap of $350,000, plus two marquee players who can be offered fulltime jobs outside the cap, contracts for leading players in the 2022 NRLW are expected to be worth about $35,000, plus representative payments.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/15/stars-set-to-earn-fulltime-deals-in-expanded-nrlw/

That's for a fairly short NRLW season. They also have State leagues where they would pick up a bit of cash and a few of them probably pick up cash from media work and running development days for the governing bodies.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Farmduck said:

That's for a fairly short NRLW season. They also have State leagues where they would pick up a bit of cash and a few of them probably pick up cash from media work and running development days for the governing bodies.

Cheers FD. Not much 💲 in the grand scheme of things so hopefully that'll improve post WC and we'll get some fresh investment in the game (for both men & women).

7 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Cheers FD. Not much 💲 in the grand scheme of things so hopefully that'll improve post WC and we'll get some fresh investment in the game (for both men & women).

The 2022 WNRL season lasted from the 20th of August to the 2nd of October*, so $35,000 for less than 2 months gives players a lot of time to pick up other earnings during the year.

*it will get longer, as the new clubs are introduced and (hopefully) the NZ Warriors return.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The 2022 WNRL season lasted from the 20th of August to the 2nd of October*, so $35,000 for less than 2 months gives players a lot of time to pick up other earnings during the year.

*it will get longer, as the new clubs are introduced and (hopefully) the NZ Warriors return.

And the best players get $6,000 for their state of origin appearences so income from Rugby League is increasing in Australia. 

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Another very disappointing attendance RLWC had an extra year to get this right, the promotion of these matches has been very poor.

There's a Rugby League World Cup negativity thread and a dedicated World Cup attendance thread.  You could have chosen one of those.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There's a Rugby League World Cup negativity thread and a dedicated World Cup attendance thread.  You could have chosen one of those.

But he wanted the attention!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson