NZ Warriors Rebranding

Eddie

9 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

HP Sauce did get involved in the sports naming rights game a while back.

Anyone remember when snooker player Jimmy White was sponsored by them and briefly changed his name to 'Jimmy Brown'? Classy stuff.

Don’t remember that specifically but that’s when snooker had characters.

4 minutes ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

Really?

I cant wait to see their badge then, because in the 13 years I've been a member, all the Warriors Shirts I have bought have had that design with noention of the sponsor.

First one 2009. image.png.2eb1302dec8e8132fbe7d71a3974f6c0.png

Fair enough (tho I was referring to the colour), most of the clobber has Vodafone on the badge though, until this latest season at least, even the baseball caps etc did. 

Current warriors store

HERE

Sorry, but after Shell Oil had a few PR disasters down here a decade ago, local venture capitalists bought their garages and rebranded them Z. Now Vodafone has decided to sell off its NZ infrastructure and the owners will rebrand as ONE. This isn't a step backward for the warriors, who re-signed their naming rights deal earlier this year and as a celebration, Vodafone bought all the remaining  seats at MT Smart.....even though they knew then that Vodafone wouldn't exist here inside 4 months.

Edited by Londonbornirishbred
WRONG LINK

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why do you think more teams don’t name themselves after their sponsors out if interest? 

If they were known as the Hoover Warrington Wolves last season they couldn't have sucked much more.

• Haha 3

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

21 minutes ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

I don't own a rugby league shirt from a top tier side that doesn't have the logos of sponsors on it? 

I’m talking about the badge, the badge on merch often having Vodafone on it when I’ve looked. But anyway really don’t want an argument about it. 

19 hours ago, Tosh said:

If Vodafone or any other company offered me a million pounds to change my name to Mr Vodafone something something I would do it in a heartbeat,

So tell tell about this business called Tosh?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m talking about the badge, the badge on merch often having Vodafone on it when I’ve looked. But anyway really don’t want an argument about it. 

Fair enough.
Just so you know, NZ Warriors Training, Media (incl polos & baseball caps) and Playing gear all carry the Main sponsors logo as part of the naming rights deal which covers training and media ware as well as replicas.

This isn't much different to many other NRL sides, but because VODAFONE is a global Brand, maybe it's just more noticeable than Steggles at Easts. Aland at the Eels, Aramax at the Sharks etc etc....but I'd say it was good business by Vodafone because they get blanket coverage across NZ.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

Fair enough.
Just so you know, NZ Warriors Training, Media (incl polos & baseball caps) and Playing gear all carry the Main sponsors logo as part of the naming rights deal which covers training and media ware as well as replicas.

This isn't much different to many other NRL sides, but because VODAFONE is a global Brand, maybe it's just more noticeable than Steggles at Easts. Aland at the Eels, Aramax at the Sharks etc etc....but I'd say it was good business by Vodafone because they get blanket coverage across NZ.

Ok cheers, I’ve never noticed that but as you say it is less obvious (to me) with Aussie companies and I’ve never looked at buying anyone else’s stuff anyway. This is the sort of thing that I wouldn’t buy because of the excessive sponsorship which makes the Warriors aspect secondary https://shop.warriorsstore.co.nz/2022-vodafone-warriors-puma-team-hoodie-adults/

I did manage to get a beanie without Vodafone on this summer so am looking forward to it getting cold enough to wear it 👌 

Edited by Eddie

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Nerd 😂 

There's more, much more, that might even deserve its own AOB topic. 😀😀😀😀

Eg: the Systime scam. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systime_Computers

Or the development of ICEM Surf, a "class A" surface modelling software originally developed by VW....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICEM_Surf

Edited by JohnM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Ok cheers, I’ve never noticed that but as you say it is less obvious (to me) with Aussie companies and I’ve never looked at buying anyone else’s stuff anyway. This is the sort of thing that I wouldn’t buy because of the excessive sponsorship which makes the Warriors aspect secondary https://shop.warriorsstore.co.nz/2022-vodafone-warriors-puma-team-hoodie-adults/

I did manage to get a beanie without Vodafone on this summer so am looking forward to it getting cold enough to wear it 👌 

looks very similar to things the England Cricket team have out to be fair.

spacer.png