Kangaroo squad for Lebanon quarter final

Meninga has named his 19 initial squad for the game.

Addo-Carr, Carrigan, Cherry-Evans, Cleary, Collins, Cotter, Crichton, Fa'asuamaleaui, Graham, Grant, Holmes, Martin, Mitchell, Munster, Murray, Tedesco, Trbojevic, Wighton, Yeo.

Players to miss out Matt Burton, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Ben Hunt, Jeremiah Nanai, Murray Taulagi

Unless there is an injury, I can't believe that he has left out Hunt.  The perfect squad player as he can do a great job as a 9 and also cover half back.  He has been left out while both Cherry-Evans and Cleary are included.  Seems like he is managing player reactions than picking a squad.

Other thoughts.  Nanai has looked great on the right edge but it looks like he has missed out for Martin or potentially Murray playing on the edge.

Finally, only one recognized winger winger in Addo-Carr.  Looks like Cambell Graham has got the other wing gig.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Meninga has named his 19 initial squad for the game.

Addo-Carr, Carrigan, Cherry-Evans, Cleary, Collins, Cotter, Crichton, Fa'asuamaleaui, Graham, Grant, Holmes, Martin, Mitchell, Munster, Murray, Tedesco, Trbojevic, Wighton, Yeo.

Players to miss out Matt Burton, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Ben Hunt, Jeremiah Nanai, Murray Taulagi

Unless there is an injury, I can't believe that he has left out Hunt.  The perfect squad player as he can do a great job as a 9 and also cover half back.  He has been left out while both Cherry-Evans and Cleary are included.  Seems like he is managing player reactions than picking a squad.

Other thoughts.  Nanai has looked great on the right edge but it looks like he has missed out for Martin or potentially Murray playing on the edge.

Finally, only one recognized winger winger in Addo-Carr.  Looks like Cambell Graham has got the other wing gig.

Did you notice they named their squad alphabetically? 

🤣

I never knew the Aussies were so sensitive! Squad numbers based on the number of caps so they don’t upset anyone and now picking 2 scrum halves so they don’t need to break the news to one of them that they miss out.

I like it! 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Did you notice they named their squad alphabetically? 

🤣

You want to start that whole conversation again?

ok.  How do you think the use of squad numbers has worked out so far, has it added value to the tournament in your opinion?

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I never knew the Aussies were so sensitive! Squad numbers based on the number of caps so they don’t upset anyone and now picking 2 scrum halves so they don’t need to break the news to one of them that they miss out.

I like it! 

I seem to remember a similar situation with Johns and Kimmorley in the past. And also that time they played about 13 full backs.

Just now, Dunbar said:

You want to start that whole conversation again?

ok.  How do you think the use of squad numbers has worked out so far, has it added value to the tournament in your opinion?

🤣 hey, it was a joke!!!

I like squad numbers in terms of on field, but I did have a wry smile when I saw the way RLWC list the teams on social media - they just name positions with no numbers at all!!! 

Surely if you want to create familiarity around numbers, naming the teams with numbers would be a good starter for ten!?!?! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

imagine dce will play one  half and cleary the other half -in a game that should be a formality nothing more to it than that

If that is the case then I would be even more delighted if Lebanon can cause an upset (not sure it would be possible for me to be more delighted, but I would try).

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

imagine dce will play one  half and cleary the other half -in a game that should be a formality nothing more to it than that

The NZ semi will be tough so best to try and rest players here. 

• Like 1