Fri 4 Nov: Wheelchair RLWC: France v Wales 11:00

Who will win?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France
    • Wales

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/22 at 11:30

Wowzer, what a flying try

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

I get that the French are fast and skillful but how can anyone be so elusive and agile. And there is a team full of them. I'm sat watching it and I can't believe it. Impressed.

Welsh coach was asked 'how do you slow them' his answer was 'take their wheels off them'.

• Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

39 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Erm..

I was responding to a post saying France would get 200 and suggested they wouldn't because all teams take the foot off when they are so far ahead.

They scored 96 points in the first half and 62 in the second.

Which part did I get wrong?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I was responding to a post saying France would get 200 and suggested they wouldn't because all teams take the foot off when they are so far ahead.

I mean, you can claim the W if you like but they still seemed to be going at it pretty hard to me, and I thought Wales did a better job in the second half for which they deserve a degree of credit.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I mean, you can claim the W if you like but they still seemed to be going at it pretty hard to me, and I thought Wales did a better job in the second half for which they deserve a degree of credit.

But wasn't your "erm..." comment not meant to show that France were still racing ahead and there was no let up?

So your arguing with yourself here.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Haha, the Welsh captain has fully taken over BBC2!

It was a bit different from the usual post-match "chuffed to bits, the boys gave 110%" stuff. That was a speech and a rallying-call for the entire sport!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now the Beeb are doing a feature on the PDRL World Cup with Adam Hills. Great stuff!

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But wasn't your "erm..." comment not meant to show that France were still racing ahead and there was no let up?

So your arguing with yourself here.

Have you had a bad morning? Racing ahead and taking your foot off the gas are two different things. France continued to race ahead for the first ten minutes of the second half, then I thought Wales defended a bit better and found a few answers, slowing down the scoring. I still wouldn't say France relaxed particularly.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You wasnt because thats not what I said.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

You wasnt because thats not what I said.

I said this will be the first 100+ scoreline and you replied with "200+ is on the cards at this rate".

Are you now going to use some wordplay to suggest that you didn't mean they were going to score 200.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I said this will be the first 100+ scoreline and you replied with "200+ is on the cards at this rate".

Are you now going to use some wordplay to suggest that you didn't mean they were going to score 200.

it's weird how you are trying to score points and start an argument, Im not really sure why. You said they could score 100, I said there's not much could about, as in they would. I then jokingly said they could score 200+ at this rate with an exclamation mark, not they would. Context is everything. 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

it's weird how you are trying to score points and start an argument, Im not really sure why. You said they could score 100, I said there's not much could about, as in they would. I then jokingly said they could score 200+ at this rate with an exclamation mark, not they would. Context is everything. 

I'm not trying to start anything.  I just made a prediction that they wouldnt get to 200 (which was in fact borne out) and I was just picking up on a sarky reply suggesting I was wrong.

The point I was making is that across sport teams tend to slow down when they are as far ahead as France were... not always, but a lot of the time. I suggested the run rate of points would slow and it did.

I probably should have just ignored the reply indicating I was wrong.  But I didn't.

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Someone on Twitter suggested a change to who kicks off after a score and, while it made very little difference to the running version of RL, it might be more effective in the Wheelchair game.

France are receiving the ball again and again, and just storming up the field.

What`s the rationale for the difference in rules from the running game when a restart is kicked over the dead ball line? i.e. why doesn`t it result in a goal-line dropout?

If it were the same, the conceding team would have a better chance of gaining possession and halting the slaughter. Not just from a long kick-off that goes dead, also from a short kick-off since the opposition would have to put numbers back to defend the dead ball line.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

Can anyone tell me what the yellow plastic flaps/tapes are for? Some have them on their arms, others on the legs. 

They are tackle tags, the defenders have to remove a tag from the ball carriers arm to complete the tackle,the ones on the legs are to replace the ones removed from the arms 

• Like 1

I don't know how many of you were there in person, but I was, and it was brilliant. I've seen 13-a-side blowouts and they are usually dull but this wasn't. The skill and speed the French deployed throughout was beautiful to watch.

Wales deserved their standing ovation. They never gave up and played much better in the second half, although France had 3 real stars who had spells off the pitch that slowed the scoring a bit.

The Welsh League only started last year. This is a start for them and they'll only get better.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"